#21 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 15 October 2009 - 10:26 AM

another valid reason...BUT ALAS this is part of my normal process. it basically looks like I got shafted...but whatever he has lost business

Just out of curiosity, do you have a selection of LHBS locations to go to?I did see that More Beer has 2 Row for around $35. Don't know what shipping would be to Denver, but even if you paid $50 (inclusive of shipping) you are going to be out ahead. I'm assuming your guy sells for around $1.25 a pound. Time to invest in a mill. I recommend the Barley Crusher. Mills right into a Home Depot bucket. You can use the hand crank once to get a workout on your dominant arm, but it's just as easy to hook up your power drill. No need for a fancy motor and wheel, unless that's actually your thing. But then don't get the BC if you want to do that because I don't know that you can make that modification. The drill works just fine for me. Just make sure to get the large hopper.Trust us when we say you will be MUCH happier with your own mill. Christmas is coming, right???

#22 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

Comptroller of Some Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 15 October 2009 - 10:40 AM

Just out of curiosity, do you have a selection of LHBS locations to go to?I did see that More Beer has 2 Row for around $35. Don't know what shipping would be to Denver, but even if you paid $50 (inclusive of shipping) you are going to be out ahead. I'm assuming your guy sells for around $1.25 a pound. Time to invest in a mill. I recommend the Barley Crusher. Mills right into a Home Depot bucket. You can use the hand crank once to get a workout on your dominant arm, but it's just as easy to hook up your power drill. No need for a fancy motor and wheel, unless that's actually your thing. But then don't get the BC if you want to do that because I don't know that you can make that modification. The drill works just fine for me. Just make sure to get the large hopper.Trust us when we say you will be MUCH happier with your own mill. Christmas is coming, right???

Yea I do have a few...this one was just the closest.. the others are 10-20 miles...His base run from 1.29-1.75/lb and all of the specialty is .12/oz...it wasn't that bad...For my next 2 batches I just ordered from brewmasterswarehouse.com...and with 6.99 shipping, cheap grain, and accessories I def came out ahead. Example is that a 16oz of star san is 14.99 at this LHBS but I got a 32oz for the same price from the website. Xmas is coming and also my Bday in a few weeks. My GF has been asking me what I want so I told her let me pick out $100 worth of beer on beergeek.biz. Maybe instead I will ask her for a crusher. I have been content however with buying on a per brew basis since lack of storage space for bulk grain. Maybe I can find some space in our shared garage though...

#23 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 15 October 2009 - 11:05 AM

Yea I do have a few...this one was just the closest.. the others are 10-20 miles...His base run from 1.29-1.75/lb and all of the specialty is .12/oz...it wasn't that bad...For my next 2 batches I just ordered from brewmasterswarehouse.com...and with 6.99 shipping, cheap grain, and accessories I def came out ahead. Example is that a 16oz of star san is 14.99 at this LHBS but I got a 32oz for the same price from the website. Xmas is coming and also my Bday in a few weeks. My GF has been asking me what I want so I told her let me pick out $100 worth of beer on beergeek.biz. Maybe instead I will ask her for a crusher. I have been content however with buying on a per brew basis since lack of storage space for bulk grain. Maybe I can find some space in our shared garage though...

My birthday is actually today... last year I printed out the website and the exact Barley Crusher that I wanted. So, I have had mine for 365 days!!! It's just a little bit more than $100, but I think she would be fine with it knowing that it would bring you so much happiness and enjoyment. With shipping to Colorado, the 15 pound hopper would be around $150. The 7 pound hopper would be around $130. I do suggest the 15 pound hopper, because I know you like brewing big beers. Here is the link.

#24 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 15 October 2009 - 12:11 PM

well I got some thinking to do now...if I get the crusher I will have to add some other expenses. I will need a large scale so that I can weigh the grain out (I only have a hop scale), storage containers for grain, I dont currently have a power drill, and a bucket.....hmmmmmm

#25 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 08 November 2009 - 06:05 PM

well...it has been confirmed...I went back to that LHBS yesterday and gave them another chance. Brewed up a Dampfbier tonight and I am again 6 points short on my OG. I can confirm it because my last 2 batches were grain purchased from brewmasters warehouse and I got my efficiency back to where it always was. I also got grain for a porter I am brewing up next....guess i can suspect that to be short as well, at least its a strong porter so I will still get in the 50s. You would think after I brought something up the owner would check the scale...I won't be spending any more money at the store...gotta go the extra 5-10 miles to the next nearest shop until I get a mill. So anyone in this area Stomp Them Grapes4731 Lipan St.Denvershorts on grain purchases.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users