Photo
- - - - -

What's the easiest, laziest, bestest quick lager method?

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#21 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 17 January 2017 - 06:53 AM

Up to you, Brother. My batch had four ounces of 8.9% MB added in the last 15 minutes and the aroma I'm getting is righteous. I do not detect any citrusy character to this hop, really. It seems very clean, very German, bright, crisp, Noble, etc. I think the newest thinking on dry hopping is that 5 days is plenty but give it a try and see what happens.

I don't get much citrus either but what (I think) I get is candied orange in a noble setting...... I can't see how a little bit of MB could hurt :)

#22 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54006 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 07:40 AM

I don't get much citrus either but what (I think) I get is candied orange in a noble setting...... I can't see how a little bit of MB could hurt :)

Me neither. You'll have a dry-hopped, blonde doppelbock. Some German brewmeister is wagging his finger at you right now.   :nono:

#23 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 07:59 AM

Me neither. You'll have a dry-hopped, blonde doppelbock. Some German brewmeister is wagging his finger at you right now.   :nono:

After 18 years of marriage, I've accepted the fact of being a constant disappointment to just about everything and everyone.

#24 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54006 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 08:48 AM

After 18 years of marriage, I've accepted the fact of being a constant disappointment to just about everything and everyone.

We should start a club or something. :scratch:

#25 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 17 January 2017 - 09:46 AM

Your comments are making me consider dry hopping my blonde doppelbock, maybe an ounce of Mandarina for a week???

BLASPHEMY!  :)

#26 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 12:36 PM

BLASPHEMY!  :)

Hey! It was your boy McDole that came up with a blonde doppel to begin with hahahaaaaaaaaaa

#27 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 17 January 2017 - 12:39 PM

Hey! It was your boy McDole that came up with a blonde doppel to begin with hahahaaaaaaaaaa

Blond doppel is great...actually, Capital Brewing has been making one for 20 years, so that's probably where Mike got it.  But dry hopping?  With Mandarina?  No thanks.

#28 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 12:58 PM

Blond doppel is great...actually, Capital Brewing has been making one for 20 years, so that's probably where Mike got it.  But dry hopping?  With Mandarina?  No thanks.

Hey, it was just a throw it out there. 99% sure I'm leaving it as is. 2nd lager out of the house and it's coming along so nice.

Btw, these numbers are to a tee, my numbers. https://capitalbrewe...nde-doppelbock/

Edited by Steppedonapoptop, 17 January 2017 - 12:59 PM.

#29 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54006 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 01:35 PM

Bringing this thread back up to ask you quick-lagerheads how quickly you have gotten a lager to a drinkable status? On this latest pilsner, I pitched and then threw the primary into the fridge for 4-5 days and then took it out to finish. I swirled it a few times and eventually kegged it about 12 days from the day I brewed it, chilled it, carbed it and I'm going to sample it tonight which I believe comes to 15 days. That sounds crazy to me but I know someone in here will say that's acceptable with the quick lager method. I plan to sample it tonight.

#30 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 19 June 2017 - 01:47 PM

Bringing this thread back up to ask you quick-lagerheads how quickly you have gotten a lager to a drinkable status? On this latest pilsner, I pitched and then threw the primary into the fridge for 4-5 days and then took it out to finish. I swirled it a few times and eventually kegged it about 12 days from the day I brewed it, chilled it, carbed it and I'm going to sample it tonight which I believe comes to 15 days. That sounds crazy to me but I know someone in here will say that's acceptable with the quick lager method. I plan to sample it tonight.

I think if you got the yeast to drop out it will be good.  otherwise it will be good whenever you can get it pretty clear.

#31 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 19 June 2017 - 06:12 PM

To the OP, Google tasty mcdole fast lager.bam.

#32 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 20 June 2017 - 04:28 AM

I'm not keen on strict guidelines and schedules for any living organism. "You will allow your tomato plants to grow for 3 months then you will harvest the fruit" Yeah that dont work.

When my fermentations slow, I unplug the chamber and let temp free rise. Heat to 70F if necessary for a few days to burn off acetaldehyde. Taste and crash to 32F if it tastes good.

As I understand yeast growth phases, ester production occurs during growth phase so if the yeast is done growing cell count the temp can rise without worry of off flavors. So if it's on the downhill side of fermentation I let temp free rise so it can finish up strong.

If it tastes good after the 70F rest I crash and let em sit at 32F for a week or so then add gel to a keg and rack on it, carb at 32F as it clarifies. From there I will start pulling a little beer a week after its carbed and it will develop its best flavor after a month or so. I'm usually drinking at 3 weeks from brewday but its not really good for another 3-4 weeks.

#33 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 05:11 AM

Ken, Evil, Schwanz and Urquell pretty much nailed it. I have my Vienna from kettle to keg (gel'd) in 3 weeks. But Steve's comment rings true, weeks after the first 3 is when the flavor really develops.

#34 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 20 June 2017 - 05:42 AM

I'm not keen on strict guidelines and schedules for any living organism. "You will allow your tomato plants to grow for 3 months then you will harvest the fruit" Yeah that dont work.

When my fermentations slow, I unplug the chamber and let temp free rise. Heat to 70F if necessary for a few days to burn off acetaldehyde. Taste and crash to 32F if it tastes good.

As I understand yeast growth phases, ester production occurs during growth phase so if the yeast is done growing cell count the temp can rise without worry of off flavors. So if it's on the downhill side of fermentation I let temp free rise so it can finish up strong.

If it tastes good after the 70F rest I crash and let em sit at 32F for a week or so then add gel to a keg and rack on it, carb at 32F as it clarifies. From there I will start pulling a little beer a week after its carbed and it will develop its best flavor after a month or so. I'm usually drinking at 3 weeks from brewday but its not really good for another 3-4 weeks.

it's a bit of an art unless you have real time monitoring of the gravity or something.  then maybe you could make up some strict rules?  I dunno.  I have an ale I've been fermenting at 66F for the last couple of days.  I'm thinking I'll start pushing the setpoint on the controller a little higher tonight to allow it to free rise.  I doubt I'll need to actually plug in the heater.

#35 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 06:32 AM

What is this heater thing you all speak of?

#36 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 20 June 2017 - 07:01 AM

What is this heater thing you all speak of?

it takes electrical current and runs it through a resistor.  there is also a fan to help with heat transfer to the air.  pretty wild stuff :D

#37 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 20 June 2017 - 11:15 AM

I use a pouporri pot in my ferm chamber for heat plugged into my stc1000

#38 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 20 June 2017 - 11:36 AM

I use a pouporri pot in my ferm chamber for heat plugged into my stc1000

my space heater is one of those lower powered desktop types.  I also utilize it with my stc1000.

#39 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54006 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 06:49 AM

Another quick lager question: Has the newer, faster method addressed the idea of the beer's aging or the idea that the beer would be better after X amount of time or do we expect that the beer will be at its best quickly? I ask this because I ignored this half-pils and half-Rahr Pale Alt malt Helles for a bit and last night I had a few glasses of it and it really seemed to improve in overall smoothness, clarity and flavor in that time. I know I read somewhere that people were drinking lagers after 2-3 weeks but is there still a timeline for the beer to be at its best... like a few additional weeks?

#40 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 27 June 2017 - 06:56 AM

Another quick lager question: Has the newer, faster method addressed the idea of the beer's aging or the idea that the beer would be better after X amount of time or do we expect that the beer will be at its best quickly? I ask this because I ignored this half-pils and half-Rahr Pale Alt malt Helles for a bit and last night I had a few glasses of it and it really seemed to improve in overall smoothness, clarity and flavor in that time. I know I read somewhere that people were drinking lagers after 2-3 weeks but is there still a timeline for the beer to be at its best... like a few additional weeks?

I've generally found it to be best at about 5 weeks.  it varies depending on the beer though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users