#1 cavman

cavman

Comptroller of BigPossMan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 12 October 2009 - 03:06 PM

Brewed this today:Type: All Grain Date: 10/11/2009 Batch Size: 5.50 gal Brewer: Chris Cavanaugh Boil Size: 7.00 gal Asst Brewer: Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Brew Pot (7.5 gal) and Cooler (48 qt) Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 Taste Notes: Ingredients Amount Item Type % or IBU 12.00 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 66.19 % 5.00 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 27.58 % 0.50 lb Aromatic Malt (26.0 SRM) Grain 2.76 % 0.50 lb Crystal 90 (90.0 SRM) Grain 2.76 % 0.13 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 0.72 % 2.00 oz Magnum [12.90 %] (60 min) Hops 62.1 IBU 1.00 oz Hop Blend 1 [10.00 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops - 1.00 oz Hop Blend 1 [8.25 %] (20 min) Hops 12.0 IBU 1.00 oz Hop Blend 1 [8.25 %] (15 min) Hops 9.9 IBU 1.00 oz Hop Blend 1 [8.25 %] (10 min) Hops 7.2 IBU 1.00 oz Hop Blend 1 [8.25 %] (5 min) Hops 4.0 IBU 1.00 oz Hop Blend 1 [8.25 %] (0 min) Hops - 1 Cake Edinburgh Ale (White Labs #WLP028) Beer Profile Est Original Gravity: 1.092 SG Measured Original Gravity: 1.092 SG Est Final Gravity: 1.024 SG Measured Final Gravity: NAEstimated Alcohol by Vol: 9.00 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: NA Bitterness: 95.1 IBU Calories: 424 cal/pint Est Color: 16.2 SRM The hop blend was equal parts Amarillo, Cascade, Athanum and Bravo.

#2 Jimmy James

Jimmy James

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 12 October 2009 - 08:02 PM

Looks awesome, can't wait to hear how it turned out.

#3 cavman

cavman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 12 October 2009 - 09:57 PM

Looks awesome, can't wait to hear how it turned out.

Yeah I have to wait though, the 2" krausen after 2 hours after pitching makes me feel good about the over attenuation I was aiming for though. Hoping to get this around 16 points, I've gone lower from big beers before but really looking for the right attenuation in this one.

#4 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 15 October 2009 - 05:38 PM

I used this Edinburgh yeast two or three times when i had it , seems like it make good beer. I beleive it had a nice crust of top yeast (solid top)when i checked this one out. I always had to clean it out , and then let it settle more. Maybe i wasn't patient enough at that time. How long do you leave in the primary on this yeast ?

#5 cavman

cavman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 15 October 2009 - 05:58 PM

I used this Edinburgh yeast two or three times when i had it , seems like it make good beer. I beleive it had a nice crust of top yeast (solid top)when i checked this one out. I always had to clean it out , and then let it settle more. Maybe i wasn't patient enough at that time. How long do you leave in the primary on this yeast ?

Usually leave it until it's done, the beer I brewed as a starter for this beer was in primary for 9 days. This being a bigger beer it may take a little longer.

#6 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 16 October 2009 - 12:21 PM

cavman, I'm brewing a hop-bursted red tomorrow. The recipe came from Jamil but it's supposed to be based on AleSmith's Evil Dead Red. I'm going off of memory but a 5 gallon recipe was something like:12 lbs. MO1 lb. 8L Munich0.5 lb. 40L crystal0.5 lb. melanoidin0.5 lb. Victory0.25 lb. 120L crystal0.5 oz. Centennial - 20 min.0.5 oz. Amarillo - 20 min.1.0 oz. Centennial - 10 min.1.0 oz. Amarillo - 10 min.1.0 oz. Centennial - flameout1.0 oz. Amarillo - flameoutThere's probably a mistake or two in there somewhere but it's close. The recipe calls for 1056 but I have a nice cake of 1028 that I plan to use instead. Also, I don't have any Centennial so I'm going to use Magnum. Really the only resemblance to an "official" red ale (BJCP-wise) is the color but it looks like an interesting beer.

#7 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25637 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 16 October 2009 - 12:42 PM

When I want hoppy, I go with FWH.I like the 2 oz of magnum alot. That is my favorite way to bitter up a beer.Get a couple more ounces of hops, (I like noble) and go with 2 ounces FWH.You will thank in 6-8 weeks.zymot

#8 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 16 October 2009 - 01:04 PM

When I want hoppy, I go with FWH. I like the 2 oz of magnum alot. That is my favorite way to bitter up a beer. Get a couple more ounces of hops, (I like noble) and go with 2 ounces FWH. You will thank in 6-8 weeks. zymot

I have a metric assload of German Tettnanger.

#9 cavman

cavman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 16 October 2009 - 10:41 PM

cavman, I'm brewing a hop-bursted red tomorrow. The recipe came from Jamil but it's supposed to be based on AleSmith's Evil Dead Red. I'm going off of memory but a 5 gallon recipe was something like: 12 lbs. MO 1 lb. 8L Munich 0.5 lb. 40L crystal 0.5 lb. melanoidin 0.5 lb. Victory 0.25 lb. 120L crystal 0.5 oz. Centennial - 20 min. 0.5 oz. Amarillo - 20 min. 1.0 oz. Centennial - 10 min. 1.0 oz. Amarillo - 10 min. 1.0 oz. Centennial - flameout 1.0 oz. Amarillo - flameout There's probably a mistake or two in there somewhere but it's close. The recipe calls for 1056 but I have a nice cake of 1028 that I plan to use instead. Also, I don't have any Centennial so I'm going to use Magnum. Really the only resemblance to an "official" red ale (BJCP-wise) is the color but it looks like an interesting beer.

Looks good I threw my recipe the day before I brewed it while at Cambridge Brewing took about a minute. I was really thinking an IIPA but felt like throwing in the RB, so I expect it to be more like a red, having some crystal 90 on hand helped though. BTW the 1028 has been kicking away hardcore even at the current 58 degrees, should be real clean.

#10 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 04:11 AM

Looks good I threw my recipe the day before I brewed it while at Cambridge Brewing took about a minute. I was really thinking an IIPA but felt like throwing in the RB, so I expect it to be more like a red, having some crystal 90 on hand helped though. BTW the 1028 has been kicking away hardcore even at the current 58 degrees, should be real clean.

you work at cambridge brewing company? were you at the NH Brewfest a couple weeks back?

#11 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 17 October 2009 - 08:36 AM

As predicted there were errors in that recipe. There is 1 lb. of 40L, 0.5 lb. of C120, 0.25 lb. of pale chocolate and no melanoidin. The hop additions were correct.I think I'm going to take Zymot's advice and move the first Magnum addition to 60 min. and use an ounce or two of Tett. for FWH. Gonna need to tweek the grain bill just slightly too to allow for what I have in stock.

#12 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25637 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 17 October 2009 - 09:47 AM

I think I'm going to take Zymot's advice and move the first Magnum addition to 60 min. and use an ounce or two of Tett. for FWH.

To give credit where credit is due and to verify the pedigree of my suggestion. Using noble hops in bittering of an AIPA comes from the very popular JPA. CJ specifies Northern Brewer for his 60 minute bittering addition. Noble FWH plus mangum bittering is a way to pump up the bitterness of the JPA recipe. Keep your Amarillo & Cent hopburst as you like it and any hophead will sing your praises. 2 oz Tett would be how I would go. zymot

#13 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 17 October 2009 - 10:38 AM

To give credit where credit is due and to verify the pedigree of my suggestion. Using noble hops in bittering of an AIPA comes from the very popular JPA. CJ specifies Northern Brewer for his 60 minute bittering addition.

Hey, you'll never have to justify using noble hops in any beer as far as I'm concerned. :D

Noble FWH plus mangum bittering is a way to pump up the bitterness of the JPA recipe. Keep your Amarillo & Cent hopburst as you like it and any hophead will sing your praises. 2 oz Tett would be how I would go. zymot

I have no Centennial and was going to sub Magnum instead but I think I've talked myself out of that. This is really not a super bitter beer but it has a lot of hopburst flavor. IBUs are only around 30. So here's what I'm thinking...feel free to talk me out of it if you think it's idiotic. 1 oz. Tett - FWH 1 oz. Ahtanum - 20 0.5 oz. Amarillo - 20 1 oz. Ahtanum - 10 1 oz. Amarillo - 10 1 oz. Amarillo - 0 1 oz. Tett - 0 That still ends up a lot more bitter than the source beer - around 50. If I throw the Magnums in there it's way out of range. So I'll save them for an IPA at some point.

#14 Slainte

Slainte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 04:15 PM

Hop schedule looks good to me. Good choice in removing the Magnums. Their flavor kinda sucks; they're really only good as a bittering addition.

#15 cavman

cavman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 17 October 2009 - 04:27 PM

you work at cambridge brewing company? were you at the NH Brewfest a couple weeks back?

No to both, but Will Meyers(CBC's Brewmaster) was one of the guys who talked me into brewing on my own about 7 years ago. He always had answers for me in my learning years and still does, so I make it a point to regularly stop by. The other brewers are all cool as well, and the free beers I get are always appreciated.

#16 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 17 October 2009 - 07:27 PM

I got a man crush on Will Meyers. Very cool dude.

#17 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54211 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 07:28 PM

I have a metric assload of German Tettnanger.

Wow, that's a lot. Can I have some? ;)

#18 cavman

cavman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 24 October 2009 - 03:42 PM

A little update on the beer; after 2 weeks fermenting between 58 and 62 the Krausen finally dropped. Gravity reading was 1.017 and expect a couple more points to ferment off as the yeast cleans up. Sample tasted very promising, tastes like a much smaller beer but as just about 10% packs a wallop.

#19 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 06:39 AM

I really like the looks of that grain bill. I'm finding that I really like ales with a pinch of RB thrown in. It's kind of like nutmeg in cooking - that special something in the background that makes the drinker go - "hey! what was that?!"plus I like the slightly dry finish.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users