#1 KSUwildcatFAN

KSUwildcatFAN

Comptroller of ChopSticks & Ghey Bach Chow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9180 posts
  • LocationKC Area

Posted 10 October 2009 - 07:52 PM

I'll keep this short. There were several hitches along the way, but nothing too serious. Not sure if I got a whole ten gallons in my fermenter, but close. My OG was 1.048, and according to Strange Brew, that's 77.5% efficiency, which I'll take. All in all, seemed like a lot of work, but I'll hopefully get it more and more streamlined the more times I brew. Can't say it was a success for at least a few weeks!

#2 jammer

jammer

Atomic Chef Runner-Up

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3484 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 10 October 2009 - 08:05 PM

I'll keep this short. There were several hitches along the way, but nothing too serious. Not sure if I got a whole ten gallons in my fermenter, but close. My OG was 1.048, and according to Strange Brew, that's 77.5% efficiency, which I'll take. All in all, seemed like a lot of work, but I'll hopefully get it more and more streamlined the more times I brew. Can't say it was a success for at least a few weeks!

Nice work! :facepalm:

#3 dondewey

dondewey

No Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11730 posts
  • LocationVA

Posted 10 October 2009 - 08:33 PM

How long, start to finish?

#4 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 10 October 2009 - 09:13 PM

It gets way easier as you get more experienced and don't freak out about the little stuff.Brewdays for me (while being sadly infrequent recently) are super relaxed affairs of drinking and standing around the brew structure/kettle saying "yup"....MolBasser

#5 Thirsty

Thirsty

Atomic Chef!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts
  • LocationPhippsburg Maine

Posted 10 October 2009 - 10:13 PM

It gets way easier as you get more experienced and don't freak out about the little stuff.Brewdays for me (while being sadly infrequent recently) are super relaxed affairs of drinking and standing around the brew structure/kettle saying "yup"....MolBasser

yup

#6 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 10 October 2009 - 10:46 PM

Yup.MolBasser

#7 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 11 October 2009 - 04:51 AM

Congrats. Oh yes it does get easier the more you brew. I am sure your beer will be great. Nice efficiency as well.

#8 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 05:28 AM

If you really got that efficiency NICE WORK! I've probably only gotten that high on one out of 6 or 7 AG batches I've done. I usually get about 73-74%.

#9 KSUwildcatFAN

KSUwildcatFAN

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9180 posts
  • LocationKC Area

Posted 11 October 2009 - 05:48 AM

How long, start to finish?

Well, let's see. I didn't even completely finish cleaning up, but I started heating strike wter ~ at 11 am and added yeast to my wort/fermenter about 7-8 pm. So 8-9 hours. :facepalm: Long time though.

If you really got that efficiency NICE WORK! I've probably only gotten that high on one out of 6 or 7 AG batches I've done. I usually get about 73-74%.

I can't claim that without a doubt I got 77.5%, I'm relying on Strange Brew. I just changed what it said my target OG should be to where it actually is. When I did that, it changed my efficiency. I did mash longer than an hour because my rinse water wasn't up to temp in time.

#10 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 05:57 AM

Well, let's see. I didn't even completely finish cleaning up, but I started heating strike wter ~ at 11 am and added yeast to my wort/fermenter about 7-8 pm. So 8-9 hours. :facepalm: Long time though.I can't claim that without a doubt I got 77.5%, I'm relying on Strange Brew. I just changed what it said my target OG should be to where it actually is. When I did that, it changed my efficiency. I did mash longer than an hour because my rinse water wasn't up to temp in time.

If you don't think you ended up with quite as much wort as you initially predicted you need to take that into account as well.

#11 KSUwildcatFAN

KSUwildcatFAN

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9180 posts
  • LocationKC Area

Posted 11 October 2009 - 06:45 AM

If you don't think you ended up with quite as much wort as you initially predicted you need to take that into account as well.

That's true, but I sort of accounted for that. I had a higher boil volume knowing that my method of draining the boil keggle leaves ~ 0.5 gallons give or take. I'm hoping that I'm pretty close to 10 and I expect that it was close, but I just can't be totally sure.

#12 Sidney Porter

Sidney Porter

Comptroller of the Banninated

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29338 posts
  • LocationColumbus OH

Posted 11 October 2009 - 06:55 AM

congrats on your first brew. It will get easier and quicker

#13 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 11 October 2009 - 08:54 AM

It'll get easier and you'll cut that time in half. BTW, if you haven't cleaned out the MT yet you'll want to..........

#14 beach

beach

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1160 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 11 October 2009 - 12:28 PM

It'll get easier and you'll cut that time in half. BTW, if you haven't cleaned out the MT yet you'll want to..........

Yup.MolBasser

This, and congrats on a good brew day.Beach

#15 dondewey

dondewey

No Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11730 posts
  • LocationVA

Posted 11 October 2009 - 12:54 PM

I always think I'm going to finish quicker, but by the time everything is cleaned and put away, I'm right at 6 hours.

#16 *_Guest_Matt C_*

*_Guest_Matt C_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 October 2009 - 03:03 PM

I always think I'm going to finish quicker, but by the time everything is cleaned and put away, I'm right at 6 hours.

thats me 90% of the time. But, as of recent I have been finding ways to make my brewday go alot quicker. Last brew session was around 4 1/2 to 5 hours give or take, from pulling everything and heating strike water to washing and putting everything back again.

#17 BrianBrewerKS

BrianBrewerKS

Comptroller of Winging It

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 11:15 AM

'Grats man. Sounds like you're well on your way.And honestly, I'm extremely happy if I touch 70% efficiency, so you're doing very well there.

#18 KSUwildcatFAN

KSUwildcatFAN

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9180 posts
  • LocationKC Area

Posted 12 October 2009 - 12:58 PM

'Grats man. Sounds like you're well on your way.And honestly, I'm extremely happy if I touch 70% efficiency, so you're doing very well there.

I feel confident that I'm at least 70%. I will find out for sure when I keg my beer. I'll mark the depth and keep adding water by the gallon until I get to my mark. If I think of it, I'll update this thread at that time. Good or bad, I've got a lot to learn about getting it all down.

#19 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 12 October 2009 - 01:15 PM

I feel confident that I'm at least 70%. I will find out for sure when I keg my beer. I'll mark the depth and keep adding water by the gallon until I get to my mark. If I think of it, I'll update this thread at that time. Good or bad, I've got a lot to learn about getting it all down.

Are you saying that you are going to top off when you keg???

#20 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 01:24 PM

Are you saying that you are going to top off when you keg???

I think he means after he transfers he'll add water to the now empty fermentation vessel so he can determine how much beer he ended up with.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users