#61 ColdAssHonky

ColdAssHonky

Comptroller of Fashion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 24 April 2009 - 08:39 AM

Do you have a keg with the pressure relief valve? (can't rember if they all do)I thinking about fermentable sugars that still may be in the beer.IF there are still sugars..IF you bottle and store in a warm dy place..Will you lose some/many bottles to bottle bombs? :smilielol: I realize that bottle bombs don't happen that often, but still... :)

Too many ifs. I guess I'll just pour it down the drain. :smilielol:

#62 earthtone

earthtone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 24 April 2009 - 09:08 AM

lol easy to avoid, just don't bottle until the champagne yeast stops chugging. It's not going to leave anything in there that can be eaten!

#63 Mudd

Mudd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationSouth Central Illinois

Posted 24 April 2009 - 05:35 PM

Too many ifs. I guess I'll just pour it down the drain. :smilielol:

No worrries, just have some patience. :)As eartone said, "Wait"..."Until the champain yeast stops chugging. It's not going to leave anything in there that can be eaten!" :smilielol:

#64 ColdAssHonky

ColdAssHonky

Comptroller of Fashion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 28 April 2009 - 12:45 PM

I've learned a lot of great lessons from my first attempt at barleywine. What I'll do next time:- Mash low and long- Aerate with my new oxygen system- Pitch on a prior yeast cake or use huge starter- Pay better attention to fermentation temperatures- Rack off first yeast if extended fermentation is required and introducing new yeastWith about 35 or so batches under my belt today was the first drain pour. After more than two weeks after addition of champagne yeast and bumping up the heat, it has managed to get down to 1.050 and no visible or measured activity in 4 days. It smells like cider and tastes like crap. Good night sweet prince, and flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

#65 pods8

pods8

Grand Duke of Near Misses

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28457 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 28 April 2009 - 04:58 PM

You seriously dumped it?Expand on the taste like "crap" part. I'm really surprised this didn't ferment out.

#66 ColdAssHonky

ColdAssHonky

Comptroller of Fashion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 28 April 2009 - 05:13 PM

You seriously dumped it?Expand on the taste like "crap" part. I'm really surprised this didn't ferment out.

Tasted a bit sour and cidery. It was not a pleasant smell when i dumped it. I was really surprised it didn't ferment. After I added the champagne yeast and kept it warm, I was seeing lots of airlock activity. I don't know what the hell it was doing in there, but it wasn't eating sugars.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users