- - - - -

Sierra Nevada

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 *_Guest_elkshadow_*

*_Guest_elkshadow_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 October 2009 - 10:22 PM

So I used to drink a ton of SNPA when I lived in Ft. Collins in 94-95. This was also the time I learned how to brew. I loved it back then. It was among our favorites for sure. We had the always fresh, always solid New Belgium lineup, O'Dells was old school, growlers and kegs only, Coopersmith's pub in old town was totally there for the social pint or 5, and it seemed like every beer store had 2 reach-in coolers; one for sixes and one for bombers. Sixes were had for $5 or $6 and 22s were $2 to $4 with probably 30 or 40 to choose from... Ah the good old daysWith strong local competition like this, SNPA still seemed to dominate the college bar bottle and tap business. Even back then they had incredible distribution. You'd see it everywhere you'd go. They even had neon signs and shit... And everybody loved it, myself included. The only thing that beat a six of SNPA was a growler of 90 and a fat ass bowl of dank nugs. I could go on and on....Anyway, I haven't had any in a long while because I felt like I knew it, owned it, and it was the thing when I was 22. I'm more sophisticated now, I'd rather try something I've never had before, etc... And I heard the BS through the years about how they "changed the recipe to appeal to a wider audience" and how it's a huge horrible corporation now and blah blah blah... I never cared about that stuff too much. I just stopped hammering it down like I used to because my tastes and approach changed.Well tonight, I decided it was time to reacquaint myself with this old friend. I know I've changed. I'm sure it has too. A trip down memory lane with good beer as my guide. So I got 2 SNPA, 2 porters and 2 stouts. I've had one of each and I am delighted. The stout is a little light for me and the porter is a little sweet for me, but that F'in SNPA..... it's gotta be the most drinkable beer in the world. Just as I remember it. Floral nose, malty up front, bitter in the middle and perfectly crisp on the end. Even the aftertaste is nice. This a go-to beer for the ages. I could drink a river and savor every gulp. Maybe I'll move to Chico....Cheers!!!!! :) p.s. Basser, tell your peeps they can pimp this shit, just send me mah check yo... :covreyes:

#2 DieselGopher

DieselGopher

Executive Director of Whatnot and what not

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14215 posts
  • Locationhanging around

Posted 09 October 2009 - 10:25 PM

:) p.s. Basser, tell your peeps they can pimp this shit, just send me mah check yo... :covreyes:

STOP STROKING HIS PERNIS EGO!!!!

#3 *_Guest_elkshadow_*

*_Guest_elkshadow_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 October 2009 - 10:26 PM

You barfin Joose yet homey?

#4 DieselGopher

DieselGopher

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14215 posts
  • Locationhanging around

Posted 09 October 2009 - 10:29 PM

Holding my own. The time frame was too long, the JOOSE got me drunk and really hyper. I have had several pints of hombrew in attempt to finish the job, but am way to wired to check out.

#5 Seagis

Seagis

Comptroller of Nothing Being Good Enough

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18673 posts
  • LocationThe city of Townsville

Posted 09 October 2009 - 10:29 PM

Not yet, but he's certainly in rare form.

#6 DieselGopher

DieselGopher

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14215 posts
  • Locationhanging around

Posted 09 October 2009 - 10:30 PM

Not yet, but he's certainly in rare form.

Doing my best, SIR!!!!!

#7 Seagis

Seagis

Comptroller of Nothing Being Good Enough

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18673 posts
  • LocationThe city of Townsville

Posted 09 October 2009 - 10:32 PM

Doing my best, SIR!!!!!

Carry on.

#8 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 09 October 2009 - 10:35 PM

Carry on.

Dude.It is the mothers milk.Drink up!!MolBasser

#9 *_Guest_elkshadow_*

*_Guest_elkshadow_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 October 2009 - 10:52 PM

Dude.It is the mothers milk.Drink up!!MolBasser

Word. Honestly, I've obviously had some since 94 but only when it was the only decent option. Now I feel a new era coming. Chico da bomb... and by da bomb I mean totally sweet.

#10 DieselGopher

DieselGopher

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14215 posts
  • Locationhanging around

Posted 09 October 2009 - 10:55 PM

Word. Honestly, I've obviously had some since 94 but only when it was the only decent option. Now I feel a new era coming. Chico da bomb... and by da bomb I mean totally ghey, likle Legally Blonde loving ghey......

FTFY

#11 Lagerdemain

Lagerdemain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 10:57 PM

SNPA in its draft version is nectar. In bottles? Not nearly so much.

#12 *_Guest_elkshadow_*

*_Guest_elkshadow_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 October 2009 - 11:02 PM

SNPA in its draft version is nectar. In bottles? Not nearly so much.

I haven't had it on tap in forever. You think bottles are yeasty? I can see that.

#13 DieselGopher

DieselGopher

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14215 posts
  • Locationhanging around

Posted 09 October 2009 - 11:03 PM

I haven;t had it on tap in forever. I think are bottlesMike Rotch is yeasty? I can see that.

FTFY

#14 *_Guest_elkshadow_*

*_Guest_elkshadow_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 October 2009 - 11:06 PM

FTFY

you're killin me... :covreyes: :) :sarcasm: Now go get your Joose box...

#15 DieselGopher

DieselGopher

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14215 posts
  • Locationhanging around

Posted 09 October 2009 - 11:07 PM

you're killin me... :covreyes: :) :sarcasm: Now go get your Joose box...

Fresh out. 3 gone. Next time I will rink 'em faster...

#16 Lagerdemain

Lagerdemain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 11:11 PM

I haven't had it on tap in forever. You think bottles are yeasty? I can see that.

I wouldn't describe it as a yeasty taste necessarily, but it's definitely a sharper, harsher flavor. I think part of the difference is the recipe, and part is in the pasteurization and part is in the poorer treatment that bottled beer receives compared to kegged beer.

#17 *_Guest_elkshadow_*

*_Guest_elkshadow_*
  • Guests

Goodfellas reference."If I was gonna bust ya balls I'd tell you to go get your shine box."

#18 Iraq Lobstah

Iraq Lobstah

Comptroller of King Richard V

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43145 posts
  • LocationCamarillo, CA

SN Pub Draught Ale @ teh SN restaurant/ bar is as good as it will ever get!

FTFY

#19 *_Guest_elkshadow_*

*_Guest_elkshadow_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 October 2009 - 11:13 PM

I wouldn't describe it as a yeasty taste necessarily, but it's definitely a sharper, harsher flavor. I think part of the difference is the recipe, and part is in the pasteurization and part is in the poorer treatment that bottled beer receives compared to kegged beer.

Word. I got it. But the chances of SNPA on tap in Utah is 0. (wait, I'm gonna be in Vegas tomorrow... maybe Vegas has a tap room or something...)

#20 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 10 October 2009 - 09:32 AM

SAY WHAT?????Dude, we DO NOT pasteurize our beer. Any of it. I invite you to Chico, and I will guide you through our brewery and you will not see a pasteurizer.The bottle recipe is a bit different. Less malty, slightly more hoppy, and slightly more alcoholic. That is true.Our beer is bottle conditioned, and if we pasteurized it there would be no carbonation.....MolBasser

Edited by MolBasser, 10 October 2009 - 09:34 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users