#1 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 08 April 2009 - 05:51 PM

I have several clones magazines, and one clone book i can't find any recipes with this yeast in it. Says it has a malty profile when finished. From the pacific northwest. Perhaps those portland homebrewers have used it. I will use it , anyone swear by it? or use it frequently?

#2 jwatkins56550

jwatkins56550

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 06:03 PM

yeast strainif that contributes anything

#3 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 08 April 2009 - 06:08 PM

Hey thanks for that link .That is great , and gives me some ideas.

#4 Jimmy James

Jimmy James

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 08 April 2009 - 08:22 PM

Hey kegdude, I have used that strain several times. Most recently I brewed a 10-gallon batch and pitched Pac Ale on one 5-gal carboy and Cali Ale on the other, just so I could compare these strains since they seemed to have very similar profiles to me. The beer I used was a deep, roasty and dark red, so it was maybe hard to tell subtle differences. Overall the Pac Ale seems just as advertised, slightly lower attenuation, a little more residual sweetness. The hops shine a little better with the 001. FWIW the OG on that batch was 1.057 and the FGs were 1.008 for 001 and 1.010 for 041. Some nights I like the beer 001 made better, other nights I like the 041 better. Most of the time I don't care, since they're pretty similar if you ask me. Hope that helps. I am traveling out to MI next week, flying into Lansing Monday evening, could bring one of each if you're around that area.

#5 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 10 April 2009 - 09:48 AM

I like this yeast. Definitely gets less attenuation than 001, and throws some nice fruity esters that I enjoy. It produces an attractive krausen too, check it out: https://dieseldrafts...11/banner-foam/

#6 Stuster

Stuster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 05:03 PM

I used this strain a few years ago and made a few batches with it. It does emphasise maltiness, but it can make a nice APA/IPA. I'd say any American ale would be fine with this strain, and it can make a reasonable bitter as well.

#7 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 10 April 2009 - 08:08 PM

I plan on using it in the morning in a pale ale. Hope it turns out good.Double batch day for me , my first. Hope it goes well. Also making a porter after the pale ale.

#8 Jimmy James

Jimmy James

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 11 April 2009 - 09:36 AM

After thinking about this post my wife and I did a side-by-side tasting of the beer I split between 041 Pac Ale and 001 Cali Ale.The most noticeable difference between the two beers was there was a more pronounced spicy hop bouquet with the 001 fermented version, my wife could easily pick out the spicy hop aromas in the 001 fermented beer without knowing which beer was which. The beers otherwise tasted very similar. FWIW the recipe was loaded up with Biscuit, Victory, C-60 and a touch of Chocolate - in all 25% specialty malts. Base malt was 2-row. Hops were Cascade and Amarillo. Given that there was a lot of specialty malts both strains attenuated pretty high. At any rate, hope you like the results you get with Pacific Ale.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users