#1 KSUwildcatFAN

KSUwildcatFAN

Comptroller of ChopSticks & Ghey Bach Chow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9180 posts
  • LocationKC Area

Posted 09 October 2009 - 03:33 PM

Alright, welded this all up the last couple weeks. It's not the prettiest, but I think she'll work.Posted ImagePosted ImageOK, for cost. Some are estimates, some aren't, but it will be pretty close if you do a system close to mine. Also, a lot of this came from ebay or craigslist, and metal prices fluctuate, so YMMV.
    [*]Keggles: one was $50, other was about $25 (coupling and weld included in cost, thanks Swagman)[*]Mash Tun: $40 for cooler from Walmart. [*]Stand: $75 for 2" square tubing, angle iron was free (old bed frames). Paint was $5.[*]Fermenter: I think this was ~$35 from US plastics. It's a Vittles vault[*]Turkey Fryers: One was $10 off CL, and I think I got the other from ebay for ~$30[*]Valves, hoses, cpvc, misc. hardware: ~$50[/list]That's mostly it, that's $320 from Hot water to fermenter. Throw an extra $50 for just about anything I missed and then some, and you will easily stay below $500. Not to mention, you probably already have some of that stuff.

#2 *_Guest_Blktre_*

*_Guest_Blktre_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 October 2009 - 03:52 PM

Good job. There are some decent advantages of going all gravity like that. Looks like you made some good decisions.I'm guessing your using a IM chiller? Add another $20 or so and go to HD and get various links of black threaded gas pipe, valves, and fittings to hard plumb your propane off one tank!

#3 KSUwildcatFAN

KSUwildcatFAN

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9180 posts
  • LocationKC Area

Posted 09 October 2009 - 04:50 PM

Good job. There are some decent advantages of going all gravity like that. Looks like you made some good decisions.I'm guessing your using a IM chiller? Add another $20 or so and go to HD and get various links of black threaded gas pipe, valves, and fittings to hard plumb your propane off one tank!

Thanks for the compliment.Oh yeah, the immersion chiller. It's way undersized. After this batch, I'll be getting a longer one. I think mine is only about 15' of 3/8"! :eek:As far as using one tank, I will! I will have to switch hoses, though.Posted Image

#4 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 09 October 2009 - 05:04 PM

Nice job! Our ground water is still not quite there for an IC to get much below 80df. I had to use the sump pump/ice to get in the 60's yesterday. Can't imagine your water temp is any different since you're close.Have fun with it. Shout out if you get stuck or need beer moral support.......

#5 KSUwildcatFAN

KSUwildcatFAN

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9180 posts
  • LocationKC Area

Posted 09 October 2009 - 05:12 PM

Nice job! Our ground water is still not quite there for an IC to get much below 80df. I had to use the sump pump/ice to get in the 60's yesterday. Can't imagine your water temp is any different since you're close.Have fun with it. Shout out if you get stuck or need beer moral support.......

Didn't want to hear that, but I really don't have any other choice.

#6 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 09 October 2009 - 05:16 PM

Didn't want to hear that, but I really don't have any other choice.

Just ice it down or whatever after the IC and before you pitch the yeast - better than a fusel bomb.

#7 stangbat

stangbat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • LocationKC Metro, KS side

Posted 09 October 2009 - 05:22 PM

That looks really nice. Great job. You should be proud.Is that an early 80s Virago in the background?

#8 KSUwildcatFAN

KSUwildcatFAN

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9180 posts
  • LocationKC Area

Posted 09 October 2009 - 05:23 PM

That looks really nice. Great job. You should be proud.Is that an early 80s Virago in the background?

Thanks. Any yes, '82 750. Got a lot of work to get it to where I want it.

#9 *_Guest_BigBossMan_*

*_Guest_BigBossMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 October 2009 - 05:33 PM

Very nice. I see I have a bit of work ahead of me.

#10 stangbat

stangbat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • LocationKC Metro, KS side

Posted 09 October 2009 - 08:21 PM

Cool. I had an '82 920. Thought it looked familiar.

#11 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 10 October 2009 - 04:59 AM

Looks like a great sculpture. Nice work. Hope it helps you brew many great beers. I am in NC and I have the same situation right now lucky to chill down past 80-90 degrees with tap water. Then I hook up the water pump/ice batch and it brings it down to 68-70 the freezer gets me to pitch temp from there.

#12 wengared

wengared

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 06:13 AM

Suggestion on your propane, your rhino only holds 2 gallons and is costing you about $9.00 a gallon exchange, buy a 100 pound bottle for about $125.00 and get it filled for $75.00, it holds 20 gallons propane,( about $3.75 a gallon) you can pipe it in from outside and brew forever without running to the store.

#13 *_Guest_Blktre_*

*_Guest_Blktre_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 October 2009 - 08:14 AM

Suggestion on your propane, your rhino only holds 2 gallons and is costing you about $9.00 a gallon exchange, buy a 100 pound bottle for about $125.00 and get it filled for $75.00, it holds 20 gallons propane,( about $3.75 a gallon) you can pipe it in from outside and brew forever without running to the store.

I have a few 100#ers. I totally agree with this. You might be able to look around at some farm auctions and pick them up for nearly nothing. Also, the 20#ers in my brew club are actually called 18#ers. They are never filled to 20#. I can get five 20+g batches out of that 100# tank. More doing 10g batches. Fill price ranges from $65-75 depending on propane prices at the time. I have a cheap hand truck to move full tanks around easily. Also get a adjustable high pressure regulator and you will be able to control down to the knats ass and be efficient at it too. In the end....what you have will work just fine.

#14 richt

richt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Locationrochester, mn

Posted 12 October 2009 - 09:44 AM

That looks awesome, similar to what I have been dreaming about since I finally went AG. Did you find your dimensions and plans online or did you figure it out yourself? Anything you could share would be greatly appreciated.

#15 KSUwildcatFAN

KSUwildcatFAN

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9180 posts
  • LocationKC Area

Posted 12 October 2009 - 11:29 AM

That looks awesome, similar to what I have been dreaming about since I finally went AG. Did you find your dimensions and plans online or did you figure it out yourself? Anything you could share would be greatly appreciated.

I appropriately sized the height by the size of the kegs and cooler. Outside of that, I pretty much winged it. If you want Dimensions, I can throw something together relatively quick.

#16 richt

richt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Locationrochester, mn

Posted 13 October 2009 - 10:06 AM

I appropriately sized the height by the size of the kegs and cooler. Outside of that, I pretty much winged it. If you want Dimensions, I can throw something together relatively quick.

If you could give me the approximate footprint and height that would be awesome.

#17 KSUwildcatFAN

KSUwildcatFAN

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9180 posts
  • LocationKC Area

Posted 13 October 2009 - 10:24 AM

I'll take measurements tonight and post them. I'm pretty sure I know most of them, but I'll check first.

#18 richt

richt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Locationrochester, mn

Posted 13 October 2009 - 10:42 AM

I'll take measurements tonight and post them. I'm pretty sure I know most of them, but I'll check first.

Thanks!

#19 KSUwildcatFAN

KSUwildcatFAN

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9180 posts
  • LocationKC Area

Posted 13 October 2009 - 04:56 PM

Here you go Rich. This should have all the "important" dimensions. Keep in mind that I determined the first level (boil kettle) height by determining how tall my fermenter is. I wanted to be able to drain directly into it, yours might be different. Same goes with the height between the second level (mash tun) and top level. If you use a different cooler, dimensions may need to change a little. Anyway, this is what I got, feel free to ask any other questions. Sorry for the crappy quality, was done in Paint.Posted Image

#20 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 14 October 2009 - 06:34 AM

Is that an early 80s Virago in the background?

Your lights are on.Nice rig BTW!But you should throw some paint on it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users