#1 Jimmy James

Jimmy James

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 09 October 2009 - 10:26 AM

This will be my first parti-gyle. The recipes are both more or less Jamil's with noted additions. I sorta WAG'd the specialty malt quantities to account for the parti-gyle process, so the Old Ale may come out a little darker than the recipe in Jamil's book. We'll see how it works. Would love advice on the yeast in particular, but also any advice on the recipe itself is very welcome!Old Ale (6.5 gallons pre-boil, 5 gallon batch size)Marris Otter 30#Victory 2# (this is not in JZ's recipe, but I think it will play nicely)C-80 2#BP 6 oz.Treacle 12 oz. Styrian Goldings 5.25AA 4.00 oz. 52 IBU (60 min.)Yeast ?? (suggestions? thinking WLP013 or 028 - my LBS stocks White Labs)Pre-boil OG should be 1.080 and post-boil should be around 1.094 assuming 60% efficiency. Next comes the Mild, for which I will cap the mash with the following grains before collecting another 6.5 gallons of wort:C-60 6 oz. (this is a little less than the stand-alone recipe to account for some residual C-80 from the original mash)C-120 6 oz. Pale Choc. 4 oz. BP 1 to 2 oz (recipe calls for 2 oz, will make game-time decision based on how runnings look when I vorlauf for the Mild).Styrian Goldings 0.8 oz. 60 min approx 17 IBUYeast ?? No clue? Not a big fan of WLP002, would love a suggestion or two here from White Labs.I will post up some results after doing this. I have to admit I've been wanting to do a parti-gyle for a couple years now so I am giddy at the thought of this!

#2 ColdAssHonky

ColdAssHonky

Comptroller of Fashion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 09 October 2009 - 11:41 AM

I can't really comment on your recipe since I have not yet gone down the parti-gyle path, but your results may entice me to take this on!

#3 drewseslu

drewseslu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 10 October 2009 - 03:54 AM

WL007 is great stuff if they carry it.

#4 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 04:19 AM

This will be my first parti-gyle. The recipes are both more or less Jamil's with noted additions. I sorta WAG'd the specialty malt quantities to account for the parti-gyle process, so the Old Ale may come out a little darker than the recipe in Jamil's book. We'll see how it works. Would love advice on the yeast in particular, but also any advice on the recipe itself is very welcome! Old Ale (6.5 gallons pre-boil, 5 gallon batch size) Marris Otter 30# Victory 2# (this is not in JZ's recipe, but I think it will play nicely) C-80 2# BP 6 oz. Treacle 12 oz. Styrian Goldings 5.25AA 4.00 oz. 52 IBU (60 min.) Yeast ?? (suggestions? thinking WLP013 or 028 - my LBS stocks White Labs) Pre-boil OG should be 1.080 and post-boil should be around 1.094 assuming 60% efficiency. Next comes the Mild, for which I will cap the mash with the following grains before collecting another 6.5 gallons of wort: C-60 6 oz. (this is a little less than the stand-alone recipe to account for some residual C-80 from the original mash) C-120 6 oz. Pale Choc. 4 oz. BP 1 to 2 oz (recipe calls for 2 oz, will make game-time decision based on how runnings look when I vorlauf for the Mild). Styrian Goldings 0.8 oz. 60 min approx 17 IBU Yeast ?? No clue? Not a big fan of WLP002, would love a suggestion or two here from White Labs. I will post up some results after doing this. I have to admit I've been wanting to do a parti-gyle for a couple years now so I am giddy at the thought of this!

So what happens when you add grains for the second running? Do you need to let it mash for a while before you drain? Are tannins from the original grains a concern? Is 12oz of treacle (black??) a little much? I'm asking b/c I'll be doing an Old Ale coming up and I was planning on using 8oz for a 5 gallon batch. I don't really have any reasoning behind that decision though.

#5 Jimmy James

Jimmy James

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 10 October 2009 - 03:28 PM

The 12 oz of Treacle was a mistake - sorry! It's supposed to be 8 oz. The process in Radical Brewing basically calls for adding the "capping" grains and stirring into the top of the mash, letting sit for 15 minutes, then collecting the second runnings. I am not thinking tannins will be a problem, but the capping grains certainly can't hurt as they'll acidify the mash a little in case it was starting to run alkaline. Drew - thanks for the input on WLP007. I've used that strain several times and like it, so maybe it's good to go with what I know. My only concern with 007 was that it attenuates so high and I don't want the Old Ale to get too dry. That being said, with the treacle and high OG there should be plenty left...

So what happens when you add grains for the second running? Do you need to let it mash for a while before you drain? Are tannins from the original grains a concern? Is 12oz of treacle (black??) a little much? I'm asking b/c I'll be doing an Old Ale coming up and I was planning on using 8oz for a 5 gallon batch. I don't really have any reasoning behind that decision though.

#6 tag

tag

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1209 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 10 October 2009 - 03:49 PM

WL007 is great stuff if they carry it.

Unquestionably! I split a batch between WLP 002, 007 and ?their scottish. The 007 was the best by far. Oxygenate well. Use mrmalty.com to make an appropriate starter. And keep a close eye on the fermentation temperature. Lots of yeast with lots of sugar and oxygen make lots of heat.

#7 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25637 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 10 October 2009 - 11:55 PM

I have used california common yeast in baltic porters with great results. Handles the high gravity and high alcohol with ease. Doesn't impart much yeast profile comapred to many ale yeasts.Another choice would be chico yeast, WPL001, 1056 or US05. Also does well in high gravity and clean yeast, especially down in teh low 60s - high 50s.Just something to consider.zymot

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users