Photo
- - - - -

May I have your attention... introducing the Trub Trapper!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54189 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 01:59 PM

LINK.

I have no plans to buy such a thing and for $50, I can't imagine too many brewers who would even consider it. However, on brewday I use whirfloc, do a quick chill and then let everything settle before I transfer to primary. I get about 3-4 gallons of really, really clear wort before I start to suck up some schputz. Some of the schputz gets caught in a strainer but some goes into the primary too. I have often thought of something that would allow me to separate the schputz from the wort and this product seems to be able to do that to some extent. So someone is thinking the same thing except for $50... I don't see it happening.

#2 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 03 November 2016 - 03:02 PM

Repeated testing has shown that not only does trub in the fermenter not matter, often times it will produce a clearer beer that more people prefer.

#3 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 03 November 2016 - 03:04 PM

I use a DIY semi-circle dam that covers about half the kettle bottom.  Side pickup tube goes through it and holds it in place.  Couple bucks and works fine with pellets.

Repeated testing has shown that not only does trub in the fermenter not matter, often times it will produce a clearer beer that more people prefer.

Yeah, I don't worry too much but my whirlpool/dam does keep most of the hop debris out.  I really don't want a lot of that in the conical since I harvest more than build starters lately.

#4 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 03 November 2016 - 05:36 PM

Only really helps if you do inline chilling like I do. Don't want debris in the chillers. It's something like that, a higher placed dip tube, or a grant. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users