#1 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 09 October 2009 - 05:26 AM

Maybe I am crazy but I just thought it would be cool to create a new thread for this weekend for who is brewing. It just seems to me that each weekend brings a new thread and I saw a couple of posting put onto the one created for last weekend. With that said:I am kegging a Dunkelweizen today since I blew out a keg of Amber ale last night. Then I plan on making up a starter of Wyeast 3522 Belgian Ardennes.Tomorrow afternoon/evening I am planning to brew a Belgian Themed Pumpkin Ale 5 gallons. Posted the recipe in the swap.Hope everyone has a great weekend!!Mike

#2 KSUwildcatFAN

KSUwildcatFAN

Comptroller of ChopSticks & Ghey Bach Chow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9180 posts
  • LocationKC Area

Posted 09 October 2009 - 05:28 AM

Since I didn't get it done yesterday, tomorrows the day!My first AG attempt, going for the ever popular Memory Lapse Pale Ale. We'll see how it goes.

#3 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 05:52 AM

Since I didn't get it done yesterday, tomorrows the day!My first AG attempt, going for the ever popular Memory Lapse Pale Ale. We'll see how it goes.

Take your time and make sure to ask questions. We are here to help!my version of the QS oatmeal stout for me today. I'll start heating my strike water in about 10 minutes :blush:

#4 NWPines

NWPines

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • LocationEugene, OR

Posted 09 October 2009 - 11:49 AM

I am finally brewing again! (It's been almost 2 months) Doing a Dubbel tomorrow.

#5 beach

beach

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1160 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 09 October 2009 - 11:57 AM

I'm brewing 7.5 gal of Unemployment PA & bottling 7.5 gal of SNPA KSU good luck on your 1st all grain. :covreyes: Beach

#6 KSUwildcatFAN

KSUwildcatFAN

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9180 posts
  • LocationKC Area

Posted 09 October 2009 - 12:03 PM

I'm brewing 7.5 gal of Unemployment PA & bottling 7.5 gal of SNPA KSU good luck on your 1st all grain. :) Beach

Thanks, seems simple enough to accomplish the task, but I can't wait for the "oh shit" moment where I don't know what the hell I'm supposed to do. That's bound to occur. :covreyes:

#7 Jimmy James

Jimmy James

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 09 October 2009 - 12:59 PM

Thanks, seems simple enough to accomplish the task, but I can't wait for the "oh shit" moment where I don't know what the hell I'm supposed to do. That's bound to occur. :covreyes:

For me the 1st AG session was flawless, probably since I was being extra careful. Have had maybe two more flawless AG sessions in the couple years since! Hope yours goes well. As for me, I am hoping to do the parti-gyle Old Ale and Mild I posted in the Recipe Swap.

#8 gumballhead

gumballhead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
  • Locationsw michigan

Posted 09 October 2009 - 01:24 PM

I'm brewing 7.5 gal of Unemployment PA & bottling 7.5 gal of SNPA KSU good luck on your 1st all grain. :covreyes: Beach

Steve and I are doing a Bock of some sort.starter is on full throtle and ready to go.Brew on to all

#9 Thirsty

Thirsty

Atomic Chef!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts
  • LocationPhippsburg Maine

Posted 09 October 2009 - 02:35 PM

Just finished cleaning up after brewing a "Pliny My Ass" Impy IPA. 12 oz of bittering (cents and cascades) 4 oz of flavor (cascade and amarillo) and 8 oz of aroma (cascade and amarillo). I plan on dryhopping each keg with another 9 oz each keg (3 oz cascade 14 days, 3 oz amarillo 14 days, and 3 oz cents 7 days) We'll see hoe that goes. OG was 1.078, and used 15% rye. This was just the bittering addition:Posted Image

#10 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 09 October 2009 - 03:23 PM

Thirsty you brewed an IIPA and used 24oz of hops during the boil????? Good gracious thats a beast for sure. Hope it was a great session. Mike

#11 Slainte

Slainte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 03:32 PM

Just finished cleaning up after brewing a "Pliny My Ass" Impy IPA. 12 oz of bittering (cents and cascades) 4 oz of flavor (cascade and amarillo) and 8 oz of aroma (cascade and amarillo). I plan on dryhopping each keg with another 9 oz each keg (3 oz cascade 14 days, 3 oz amarillo 14 days, and 3 oz cents 7 days) We'll see hoe that goes. OG was 1.078, and used 15% rye. This was just the bittering addition:

Why so much in the bittering addition?

#12 Thirsty

Thirsty

Atomic Chef!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts
  • LocationPhippsburg Maine

Posted 09 October 2009 - 04:28 PM

It calculates to 147 IBU, I wanted a really over the top IPA. I think this is it.

#13 passlaku

passlaku

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts
  • LocationFlorence Alabama

Posted 09 October 2009 - 04:35 PM

Just finished cleaning up after brewing a "Pliny My Ass" Impy IPA. 12 oz of bittering (cents and cascades) 4 oz of flavor (cascade and amarillo) and 8 oz of aroma (cascade and amarillo). I plan on dryhopping each keg with another 9 oz each keg (3 oz cascade 14 days, 3 oz amarillo 14 days, and 3 oz cents 7 days) We'll see hoe that goes. OG was 1.078, and used 15% rye.

wOW! I thought I was hop happy when I had 4 oz in the entire brew in my "Tiny Pliny". I am planning to brew tomorrow and am debating between a Leffe like beer and an English Pale.

#14 Mashman

Mashman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • LocationGunnison CO

Posted 09 October 2009 - 07:15 PM

I'm kegging a few beers tonight and I'll brew on Sunday. I'll probably brew an American Stout.Mashman

#15 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64193 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 09 October 2009 - 07:29 PM

I was going to brew Monday, but a number of things have conspired against that, not the least of which is not having my brew system finished. Hopefully I can finish it Monday or Tuesday. If I can I might brew Wednesday night.

#16 KSUwildcatFAN

KSUwildcatFAN

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9180 posts
  • LocationKC Area

Posted 09 October 2009 - 07:32 PM

*eyes popping out of skull from all those hops*

#17 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 10 October 2009 - 07:30 PM

I finally commited to making one, an IPA this weekend. Going to be a brisk one with a frost Warning in the morning.Drink coffee during my brew mornings anyhow. :facepalm:

#18 Manwithbeers

Manwithbeers

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island, BC, Canada

Posted 11 October 2009 - 06:48 AM

On Saturday I did my first batch of a new brewing season. I made some changes to my system so there were some issues but over all it was a success. I made an Ordinary Bitter with Bairds Pale Ale, Gambrinus ESB and Bairds 70-80 Crystal. Bittering using home grown Nugget and used more Nugget and E.K. Goldings for flavor/aroma. A simple Session Beer. OG was supposed to be 1.035 but I got a better efficiency than expected from the pale ale malt and hit 1.038.I switched from a collection manifold in the kettle to a pick-up tube with SS choreboys in an effort to reduce the amount of wort left behind in the kette and it really worked well. I ended up with more than an extra gallon of wort. (Collected 54L). Also for the first time I tried Whirflock Tabs instead of Irish Moss. I dropped it it 20 minutes before the end of the boil. No rehydration made. I didn't really notice much in the way of trub formation in the kettle but I got a lot of hot break which brings me to the new counterflow chiller. I was using immersion chiller for the last 10 years but wanted to speed things along and improve the sanitation aspect. I don't care for hot break in the primary but we'll see how the racking goes.Lastly, I used my new SS 2um airstone and sterile air filter. I have a really High quality aquarium pump that suits the stone well. I let it run about 4 or 5 minutes in each carboy until there was foam nearly coming out the top. I pitched some S04 yeast from a friends primary and everything is rocking after 14 hours.

#19 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 11 October 2009 - 06:57 PM

I finished up a Rye IPA a little while ago. It is roughly based on Denny Conn's recipe, but I made some modification/mistakes, so it isn't exactly the same recipe. It had been about 5 months since I had last brewed, so I needed to brew. I just recently got in my new Love temp controller for my third temp controlled chest freezer since the other two and the kegerator are filled with kegs, and I still have kegs at room temp. I also started a traditional mead the other day, and will start a cyser soon as well. I also plan on brewing an ESB sometime soon if I can find the time.

#20 drewseslu

drewseslu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 12 October 2009 - 05:14 AM

Thursday my Asst. brewed an American Stout, I brewed 4.5bbls of Witbier on Saturday, Yesterday he made some American Barleywine and today I'm gonna do my damnedest to make some Cream Ale.Made some Xmas Ale and Pale Ale at Schlafly last week, and I will probably do the same this week.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users