#21 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 29 October 2016 - 05:39 AM

It's times like this when I'm grateful I don't care for helles!

I like pretty much all styles of beer. I've had all sorts of beer from Germany and here in the states. I'm not commenting on the style per say, but this particular brand of helles was in my opinion, exceptional. When a beer is exceptional you know instantly after that first taste. It's my goal to bring the factors that make that beer exceptional into my brewing so I can make more exceptional beers. I've made them before, but I wouldn't say that my beers lately have been exceptional. They are damn good, but they are missing that last 1% - 2% that makes them stand out; I'm not talking about chasing the low O2 thing either  :P  or the "it". "It" is definable for me as a perfect ratio of hops, yeast, and malt character in combination with perfect mouthfeel, and I'm convinced mouthfeel is way more important than we normally think. That's where water can really effect the beer, IMO. 

#22 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 29 October 2016 - 09:36 AM

I like pretty much all styles of beer. I've had all sorts of beer from Germany and here in the states. I'm not commenting on the style per say, but this particular brand of helles was in my opinion, exceptional. When a beer is exceptional you know instantly after that first taste. It's my goal to bring the factors that make that beer exceptional into my brewing so I can make more exceptional beers. I've made them before, but I wouldn't say that my beers lately have been exceptional. They are damn good, but they are missing that last 1% - 2% that makes them stand out; I'm not talking about chasing the low O2 thing either  :P  or the "it". "It" is definable for me as a perfect ratio of hops, yeast, and malt character in combination with perfect mouthfeel, and I'm convinced mouthfeel is way more important than we normally think. That's where water can really effect the beer, IMO. 

I really agree on the "exceptional" part.  I will at least try a beer in a style I don't care for if it's an exceptional beer.  I want to know how well it can be done.

#23 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 03 November 2016 - 05:44 PM

I really agree on the "exceptional" part.  I will at least try a beer in a style I don't care for if it's an exceptional beer.  I want to know how well it can be done.

Absolutely this.

This thread inspired me to quit screwing around and redo my charcoal filters. I think the harshness in the bitterness my beers has been related to not having good enough filters. I previously daisy chained 2 large high flow whole house charcoal filters together and the water came out great and so did my beers. After a couple years I checked the chlorine levels and it had crept up to 4-5ppm. I didn't have time to get the replacement media for the filters because I had to brew for an event so I got a couple small under counter filters for temporary use. Well I checked my calendar and that was a year ago. Since then my beers have had extra bitterness and sometimes a harsh bitterness. I check my water numbers and adjust with acid and add minerals when necessary, but I was still having to use Kmeta to get out the chlorine. So now I'm getting the media next week and I'll get the water numbers redone. Hopefully the beers turn out better. What I hate most about this is that I feel like I'm turning into Ken.  :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users