#1 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 08 October 2009 - 11:02 AM

I used to get 78-82% all the time. I used this in my last mash and achieved an unbeleivable efficiency. I checked my preboil gravity , and my chilled pre-yeast gravity both were higher than i had anticipated. It says NOTICEABLE Efficiency on the tub.But dang. How many points do you achieve?

#2 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

Comptroller of Some Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 08 October 2009 - 11:07 AM

Funny you bring this up...So when I first started using it i bumped like 5 points. This container had large granules. I ran out so I bought a new container...this time it was a very fine powder, and in the hefe I brewed last weekend I had my OG predicted at 1.050 and ended up at 1.034 I have no idea why i was so low...the only thing i did differently was that i had to add a glass of cold water to bring the mash temp down because i overshot it. Other than that it was the look of the pH 5.2 I was so perplexed...

#3 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18082 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 12:04 PM

I never really noticed a difference. I have decided to not use it anymore. I only want to add in brewing salts and additives for a specific reason. Adding this blindly I am not sure what I am getting out of it. I have not noticed any issues with it, just decided not to buy anymore.

#4 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64150 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 08 October 2009 - 04:08 PM

I'd recommend using Palmer's spreadsheet and known brewing salts/acid for mash adjustment.

#5 tag

tag

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1209 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 08 October 2009 - 07:00 PM

I'd recommend using Palmer's spreadsheet and known brewing salts/acid for mash adjustment.

Big ditto!5.2 is designed to lower mash pH for brewers with high residual alkalinity who are trying to brew pale beers. Denver water is low in residual alkalinity so our problem is raising the mash pH for dark beers. Before I knew this I tested it with a Porter. I added 1 tbs to the mash and the pH went from 4.90 to 4.90. Added another and it went to 4.90. Added it one more time and it raised it all the way up to 4.94.So a big ditto to JK. Know your water and use John Palmer's spreadsheet and you'll be good to go.

#6 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

Comptroller of Some Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 08 October 2009 - 07:51 PM

Big ditto!5.2 is designed to lower mash pH for brewers with high residual alkalinity who are trying to brew pale beers. Denver water is low in residual alkalinity so our problem is raising the mash pH for dark beers. Before I knew this I tested it with a Porter. I added 1 tbs to the mash and the pH went from 4.90 to 4.90. Added another and it went to 4.90. Added it one more time and it raised it all the way up to 4.94.So a big ditto to JK. Know your water and use John Palmer's spreadsheet and you'll be good to go.

yea i should have said that I only use it for my pales, ambers i let fly, and porters and stouts i use salts....

#7 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9093 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 09 October 2009 - 09:33 AM

I tried it on about 5 batches of various styles. On none of them did my efficiency go up, and on 2 it went down.

#8 dmtaylor

dmtaylor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • LocationTwo Rivers, WI

Posted 11 October 2009 - 05:52 AM

I've used it on the last 3 batches -- saison, barleywine, and sweet stout. No effect on efficiency or otherwise, but it has put my pH where I need it, so I'll keep using it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users