20 replies to this topic

#1 ranagel99

ranagel99

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationCape Girardeau, MO

Posted 08 October 2009 - 09:28 AM

If you were going to try to get the character of say 10 lbs/5gal of Marris Otter using 2-row and domestic specialty malts, what would your grist be? And I know...some may say you can't mimic those flavors....in that case how would try to get as close as possible?

#2 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 08 October 2009 - 09:39 AM

If you were going to try to get the character of say 10 lbs/5gal of Marris Otter using 2-row and domestic specialty malts, what would your grist be? And I know...some may say you can't mimic those flavors....in that case how would try to get as close as possible?

If you could do that nobody would ever buy Maris Otter. What I would do is use any of the following: Golden Promise, Weyermann Pale Malt, Optic or Halcyon. If you can't get any of those then Great Western Pale Malt is the best domestic for maltiness.

#3 ranagel99

ranagel99

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 09:49 AM

If you could do that nobody would ever buy Maris Otter. What I would do is use any of the following: Golden Promise, Weyermann Pale Malt, Optic or Halcyon. If you can't get any of those then Great Western Pale Malt is the best domestic for maltiness.

If you were to use Great Western would you add any victory, munich, aromatic, etc to try to make up the difference?

#4 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 08 October 2009 - 10:07 AM

If you were to use Great Western would you add any victory, munich, aromatic, etc to try to make up the difference?

Depends on what I was making.

#5 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 08 October 2009 - 10:15 AM

While I totally agree you can't duplicate Marris with other malts, if I were using GW 2 Row I would add some Munich and some Victory and call it a day.

#6 ranagel99

ranagel99

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 10:24 AM

Depends on what I was making.

I understand that the beer will dictate the specialty malts, but I was trying to really come from the ground floor perspective of the recipe. Maybe you would add more of a specialty malt in a bitter than an APA but my question is trying to get at what you would replace just the MO with. To try to clarify, maybe you would brew a special bitter with MO and 1/2 lb of aromatic. My question is would you brew it with GW 2row and 3/4 lb of aromatic instead (for example). In that case the answer I would be looking for is you would suggest GWrow and 1/4 aromatic. Does that make sense. Style aside what would you do to try get close to the MO? In a sense I guess what would your substitute domestic malts be for a single malt MO ale (though that is not how I would apply the suggestion). I am just trying to take away from everyone's elses trial and error and to increase my brewing knowledge.

#7 ranagel99

ranagel99

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 10:26 AM

While I totally agree you can't duplicate Marris with other malts, if I were using GW 2 Row I would add some Munich and some Victory and call it a day.

What kind of amounts in a 5 gallon batch to come close to say 10 lbs of MO?

#8 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 08 October 2009 - 10:34 AM

I would suggest this ratio. I would say 9lbs GW 2 Row1 lb Munich0.5lbs VictoryThat should get you the gravity you get from 10lbs Marris and I think the flavor will be acceptable too. If you can get German Munich as opposed to American Munich I say go for it too.

#9 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48088 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 08 October 2009 - 10:42 AM

I do this all the time. I'd add about 4 ounces of Biscuit/Victory to 10lb of American 2-row.That doesn't get you to any particular beer style, it just approximates MO. So add your normal specialties on top of that 4 oz.

#10 ranagel99

ranagel99

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 10:46 AM

I do this all the time. I'd add about 4 ounces of Biscuit/Victory to 10lb of American 2-row.That doesn't get you to any particular beer style, it just approximates MO. So add your normal specialties on top of that 4 oz.

Have you done this ratio with one american brand specifically or just in general with any brand (rahr, briess, gw, etc)?

#11 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48088 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 08 October 2009 - 11:03 AM

Have you done this ratio with one american brand specifically or just in general with any brand (rahr, briess, gw, etc)?

I've only done it with Rahr 2-row, but I think it would be a good start for just about anything American.

#12 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 08 October 2009 - 04:55 PM

I just get grainyness with MO.For malt I use Munton's Pearl.

#13 Slainte

Slainte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 05:11 PM

Agreed.I've found approximating with victory, amber, biscuit, whatever doesn't even come close. Using those malts to mimic the MO flavor tends to put a biscuity flavor upfront in your palate, where as Maris Otter gives you more of a slightly biscuity background maltiness...kinda hard to describe.I would just spend the extra couple of bucks and get Maris Otter for beers that call for it. With all of the time and effort I put into making beer, it's worth it to get 5 gallons of better beer.

#14 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 08 October 2009 - 09:18 PM

I think this is a valid question. Some people decide to buy their malt in bulk, and if (for example) I buy 200 lbs of pale 2-row because I make mostly american beers, should my English beers suffer due to snobbery?! I have been trying to figure out this question myself for a few months too. I know there is nothing that mimics MO but it should be possable to come close using specialty malts. And to not even answer the OP, i feel, is in bad taste. This board should be a resource, not a place to recieve a tounge lashing!

#15 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48088 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 09 October 2009 - 07:09 AM

...I've found approximating with victory, amber, biscuit, whatever doesn't even come close. Using those malts to mimic the MO flavor tends to put a biscuity flavor upfront in your palate, where as Maris Otter gives you more of a slightly biscuity background maltiness...kinda hard to describe.

You're using too much. To get that subtle maltiness, you have to be subtle with the biscuit addition.

I would just spend the extra couple of bucks and get Maris Otter for beers that call for it. With all of the time and effort I put into making beer, it's worth it to get 5 gallons of better beer.

I understand the concept, and agree to some extent. Around here, though, MO is more than twice as expensive as Rahr 2-row - $7-8 more per batch.

#16 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 07:36 AM

I think something close could be approximated. It may not be exact but hey - it will still be tasty beer :blush: I can't add much b/c I've never tried to do this but I'm just throwing my support out there.

#17 Slainte

Slainte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 03:09 PM

You're using too much. To get that subtle maltiness, you have to be subtle with the biscuit addition.

Yeah, perhaps you're right. I've tried 3-5 oz additions, and just don't really care for the flavor.

I understand the concept, and agree to some extent. Around here, though, MO is more than twice as expensive as Rahr 2-row - $7-8 more per batch.

Yeah, that can be pretty pricey. Definitely adds up if you brew a lot of beer with it.

I think this is a valid question. Some people decide to buy their malt in bulk, and if (for example) I buy 200 lbs of pale 2-row because I make mostly american beers, should my English beers suffer due to snobbery?! I have been trying to figure out this question myself for a few months too. I know there is nothing that mimics MO but it should be possable to come close using specialty malts. And to not even answer the OP, i feel, is in bad taste. This board should be a resource, not a place to recieve a tounge lashing!

Woah dude, settle down. Tongue lashing? I don't think I came across harsh, and certainly didn't mean to. I was just speaking from years of personal experience. From trying homebrew, both mine and others, and visiting many brewpubs. Snobbery? No, just personal preference.

#18 Sidney Porter

Sidney Porter

Comptroller of the Banninated

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29340 posts
  • LocationColumbus OH

Posted 09 October 2009 - 04:54 PM

I think it would be easier to come up with MO flavor out of american 2 row and specialties than it would be to come up with pilsner malt out of american 2 row

#19 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 06:50 AM

Around here, though, MO is more than twice as expensive as Rahr 2-row - $7-8 more per batch.

You need to get on a group buy man!North Country Malts:sack of 2-row: ~$36sack of MO: ~$40

#20 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 10 October 2009 - 08:21 AM

You need to get on a group buy man!North Country Malts:sack of 2-row: ~$36sack of MO: ~$40

+1 on the Group buy but the prices are even cheaper through North Country. We got an order together this week for 40-42 sacks I got 2 bags of GW 2 Row and they were $27.94 a piece. No complaints here but bulk grain is the way to go no doubts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users