#1 nbbeerguy

nbbeerguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • LocationFredericton NB Canada

Posted 07 October 2009 - 11:45 AM

I was wondering will I need a Temp controller to use a bar fridge as a kegerator or will the standard cooling be fine it cost me over $100 for the temp controller I have for my Freezer which is now my new fermentation chamber.....

#2 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 07 October 2009 - 02:02 PM

My thoughts are this. If you are using a fridge and it keeps in the 35-38 degree range then my answer would be No you don't need a temp controller. I have three freezers, one kegerator, one lagering freezer and one as a fermentation controller. Of course mine being all chest freezers I need a controller for them all. My opinion is if you are only going to use it as a kegerator and as long as you know what temp your fridge will run at I think you will be ok. I keep my kegerator at 38 degrees but it would be helpful to know what temperature yours will run at consistently so that you can properly calculate your pressures for force carbonating your beer. :angry:

#3 nbbeerguy

nbbeerguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • LocationFredericton NB Canada

Posted 07 October 2009 - 02:22 PM

Thanks ill be getting a temp range over the next couple days on it

#4 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 07 October 2009 - 02:40 PM

Thanks ill be getting a temp range over the next couple days on it

You bet NB. That should work well for consistency. Good Luck.

#5 RommelMagic

RommelMagic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationHighland Falls, NY

Posted 08 October 2009 - 12:27 PM

I was wondering will I need a Temp controller to use a bar fridge as a kegerator or will the standard cooling be fine it cost me over $100 for the temp controller I have for my Freezer which is now my new fermentation chamber.....

I would think that if it is a refrigerator, you will not need a temp controller. Unless of course you want to have warmer beer. As far as the temp controller you bought, I hope that was a two stage controller.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users