• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Brim2theDregs

Brim2theDregs

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 10:49 AM

I’ve brewed about a dozen or so 10G All Grain batches of mostly APA’s and I really like the usual hop varieties for that style, and I think I’ve got a pretty good handle on Cascade, Simcoe and Amarillo. I’ve got some new varieties on the way to branch out a little – Chinook, Galena, Willamette and Liberty. I’m thinking of brewing up some small batches using exclusively one hop to get to know it a bit. I know it will be a lot of work for a small quantity of beer. Is it worth it? If you think so, please consider these questions…Q 1 - Should I hold the malt bill constant through each brew? I was thinking plain old 2-row with a bit of cara-pils for a 1.050 beer, hopped to around 35 IBU’s. Throw in a bit of specialty grains for a bit of sweet contrast?Q2 – I mainly want to experience each varieties flavor and aroma so should I use a really clean bittering hop like Magnum for each brew or use exclusively the featured hop ?Q3 – Batch size? I’m set up for 10 gallons. Any ideas for some inexpensive 2 gallon fermenters? Thanks in advance brewin’ brothers!

#2 tag

tag

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1209 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 07 October 2009 - 11:32 AM

I think that's a great idea. I brewed 4-6 a few years ago and presented them blindly to the club. Time to do it again.1. Yes. I would brew your usual recipe.2. I think the Magnum is a good idea3. 3 gallon cornies? I think one gallon batches would be big enough for your taste testing. And then you can use some cheap wine or cider one gallon bottles.

#3 Brim2theDregs

Brim2theDregs

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 12:12 PM

Roger on the 1 gallon bottle fermenters. I've got a few of them, but I was hoping for 2 gallons so I could share my results with a few other friends... and perhaps a few others in the club that are interested.I wish I had some 3 gal cornies! I've got a dozen or so 5 gallon cornies empty right now (sad isn't it) and I'm really not looking forward to bottling. I guess it would be best to hold the size down to 1 gallon and just bottle up 9 or 10 for each batch. I have had consistency problems with natural carbing in the past...do the carb tabs work good?I guess I have been spoiled by co2!Thanks tag.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users