14 replies to this topic

#1 BrianBrewerKS

BrianBrewerKS

Comptroller of Winging It

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 12:12 PM

Seeing that places like hopsdirect have very decent prices on bulk hops, I'm wanting to buy at least a couple pounds to cut down on my overall costs. The hard part is deciding what 2-3 pounds to buy. I'd like to buy a pound of fairly high alpha hops, a pound of fairly low alpha hops, and possibly one other pound of something.I've used a lot of different types of hops...and honestly I haven't come across any that I didn't like at all. As far as the styles of beers that I brew, I tend to go with mostly pale ales, amber lagers, and amber ale type beers...and I'm not a fan of stouts/porters. (yeah, I know...I suck)So what would ya'll suggest? What are your 'house' hops that you always keep on hand?

#2 japh

japh

Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14988 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 06 October 2009 - 12:58 PM

Cascade and/or Amarillo if you do American Pales.

#3 BrianBrewerKS

BrianBrewerKS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 01:00 PM

Cascade and/or Amarillo if you do American Pales.

Cascades are a favorite of mine. That'll prolly be one of the pounds.

#4 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 06 October 2009 - 01:14 PM

If I was buying 3 lbs today from HopsdirectCentennial or Magnum for bitteringCentennial or Cascade for flavor/aromaMaybe some Mt. Hood for alts, wheats etc...Tomorrow's answer would probably be different.

#5 stellarbrew

stellarbrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationAcworth, GA

Posted 06 October 2009 - 01:18 PM

Mount Hood is very nice for amber lagers and amber ales. For a high alpha hop, Magnum is good because you can use it in any style for a clean bitterness. Or if you are one of the people who like it, Columbus is great for the styles you mention, both for bittering and aroma.

#6 BrianBrewerKS

BrianBrewerKS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 01:23 PM

Tomorrow's answer would probably be different.

This is kind of my problem too. I just need to buy about 20 pounds of assorted hops I guess. :cheers:As of now, I'm leaning towards; Magnum, Cascade, and Mt. Hood. A pound of each. My first brew with Mt. Hoods is almost done with primary now...so I haven't even tasted it to see if I like the hops, but I have a feeling that I'll like 'em just fine.

#7 siouxbrewer

siouxbrewer

Comptroller of Teh Beefs and other beeflike animals that are tas

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8265 posts
  • LocationGreat Plains, KS

Posted 06 October 2009 - 01:29 PM

For high alpha I like Bravo. It has an incredible clean and neutral bitterness and I use it in almost everything. Magnum as mentioned before, would be another good option. Perle is a good dual purpose hop with which I've had nice results. My low alpha go getters are Saaz (my favorite hop) and Styrian Goldings. I have over a pound of each in the freezer.

#8 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 06 October 2009 - 01:33 PM

Mt. Hood is a great hop, I haven't had one hop for the house all the time. I like the NB ale i made a lot, used nothing but NB for the brew. Then i just made an Amarillo Ale that is real grassy tasting. It must be the way i made it normally i love that hop too. But NB,Cascade,Amarillo,Mt.hood, Columbus, etc.. too many choices there.

#9 Winkydowbrewing

Winkydowbrewing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationWorcester, MA

Posted 06 October 2009 - 01:44 PM

Im a big fan of cent/amarillo/cascade, but when the hop shortage occured it gave me a chance to try out some new varieties like chinook, sorache ace, glacier, and mt. hood which I was new to. I enjoy all of them, but still find my original 3 to be my favorites and most dependable for most of what i make.

#10 *_Guest_Blktre_*

*_Guest_Blktre_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2009 - 06:26 AM

Gr.or US Magnum for all your style bitteringSimcoeAmarilloCentennial...These blend together nicelyMt.Hood and/or Northern BrewerGr. Hallertau....When used with Gr. Mag's, any German beer can be madeStyrain Goldings or French Struesselspalt for all BelgiansThen pick out any English hops for those beers.So it depends on your fav. styles....Sorachi Ace is the hop of the Devil....

#11 BrianBrewerKS

BrianBrewerKS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 07:37 AM

Sorachi Ace is the hop of the Devil....

I've heard this multiple times, so I'mma stay away from it.I'm still thinking Magnum, Cascade, and Mt Hoods. Think I'm sold for now at least. If the prices stay low, I'll order another few pounds in a month or so.Thanks all.

#12 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 07 October 2009 - 02:06 PM

I've heard this multiple times, so I'mma stay away from it.I'm still thinking Magnum, Cascade, and Mt Hoods. Think I'm sold for now at least. If the prices stay low, I'll order another few pounds in a month or so.Thanks all.

I believe that for the styles of beers that you said you liked to brew those three hops will serve you well. While there are many other good suggestions on this string I think you can't go wrong with those three. I must say though I really like Amarillo a bit more than Cascade too.

#13 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 07 October 2009 - 04:48 PM

[quote name='Blktre' date='07 October 2009 - 09:26 AM' timestamp='1254922017' post='183631']SimcoeAmarilloCentennial...These blend together nicelyI have made a nice IPA with these three hops , great all three times . I seen this combination on a thread here, or at my last green site.The last time i got lazy and added all Centennial Dry hop, good stuff but my best was when i combined equal parts of these three hops for the dry-hop.

#14 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 08 October 2009 - 05:05 PM

...Sorachi Ace is the hop of the Devil....

Think beer flavored lemonade...Or is that lemonade flavored beer?All depends upon your hop rate.

#15 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68763 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 08 October 2009 - 05:40 PM

Tomorrow's answer would probably be different.

+1 I couldn't limit myself to 3 varietesI have 10 in stock at the moment

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users