#1 drewseslu

drewseslu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 08 April 2009 - 10:08 AM

So, with the impending nuptials, I need to make some wine, and plenty of it.Where should I buy some good kits at a good price?I'm going to need red, white and maybe a rose' or blush or something.

#2 ScottS

ScottS

Lord and Master

• King of the Chickens
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17487 posts
  • LocationMy lawn

Posted 08 April 2009 - 10:09 AM

How much time do you have?

#3 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 08 April 2009 - 12:00 PM

And what kinds of wine do you like?Price limit?

#4 drewseslu

drewseslu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 08 April 2009 - 12:24 PM

No limit, but I'd like to keep it affordable to make 20-30 gallons.The wedding is 11/28.

#5 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 08 April 2009 - 01:44 PM

No limit, but I'd like to keep it affordable to make 20-30 gallons.The wedding is 11/28.

20 gallons works out to around 100 bottles. Just so you know what you're getting into.Figure for a good wine kit you're looking at around $100-$130 per kit. What are you anticipating your crowd will drink? If it were my family I know I'd go 75% red 25% white and tell anybody who wants blush to mix the two :covreyes:.Personally I have been really impressed by the kits being put out by RJ Spagnols and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them for a wedding. Since you are looking at less than a year from start to finish all the more reason as the RJ Spagnols kits I have made have been ready sooner again IMO. My LHBS carries RJ Spagnols kits so I can't say I have looked online much. They are heavy so shipping can end up hurting a lot. Price wise I know there isn't a huge margin on wine kits so most places will be pretty competitive. If you find a place selling them cheap make sure you look twice as wine kits do have an expiration date and I've heard of some warehouse-like places buying up expired kits and reselling them.

#6 wengared

wengared

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 05:46 PM

Drew, have you talked to David out at st louis wine and beer in chesterfield, he's got quite a few kits low end to top end, some on clearence, besides if you start the karoke thing early no one will know what the wine tatses like :covreyes:

#7 HarvInSTL

HarvInSTL

Atomic Chef Harvey

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MO

Posted 21 April 2009 - 11:14 AM

If you haven't started these yet, head down to Friar Tucks. They had quite a few of the kits in the $65/ range that normally run $80+ at some of the other places.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users