#41 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 25 October 2016 - 09:36 AM

Just pulled the trigger and purchased a Grainfather!  I was concerned about where to heat up the sparge water when I realized my wife, god love, her had a hair brained idea years ago to get one of those large electric perc coffee makers... I think it holds 2.5 gallons, which would go a long way to help the process given that I have a new temp controller..  The rest can just be heated on the stove.  

I just use room temp sparge water.  Doesn't make any difference. Also, I got a neoprene jacket for mine that should help hold the heat, and there's a new upgraded controller on the way.  I don't know if that's something that's on newer ones or if you need to ask for it.

#42 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 25 October 2016 - 09:37 AM

it is 120v?

And ... Congratulations... now get to brewing

Yes... 120.  I'm fine with the added time and Denny's comments about it.  I wanted flexibility to brew in various areas.

#43 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18073 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 09:42 AM

Yes... 120.  I'm fine with the added time and Denny's comments about it.  I wanted flexibility to brew in various areas.

You know you can add multiple 240 outlets :)

:troll:

I think your first brew should be my Chinook-citra APA !!

#44 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 25 October 2016 - 10:16 AM

You know you can add multiple 240 outlets :)

:troll:

I think your first brew should be my Chinook-citra APA !!

LOL!

The cost of hiring an electrician to come in and rewire to every area I might potentially brew is... well... prohibitive.  The only reason I can afford this is because I'm paying for it with money (birthdays [yes, my parents still send me money for my birthday every year], poker winnings, miscellaneous work reimbursements, etc.) that I've been stashing for a rainy day.  This does't even take half.  But if I said "hey honey... let's hire an electrician for 220 service here, here, here and here..."  yeah... I could see that going over well!

I might have to do a Denny's Rye IPA to get things rolling in homage to, well... Dennny!

But I might be a whoosie and do something else.

#45 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18073 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 10:23 AM

LOL!

The cost of hiring an electrician to come in and rewire to every area I might potentially brew is... well... prohibitive.  The only reason I can afford this is because I'm paying for it with money (birthdays [yes, my parents still send me money for my birthday every year], poker winnings, miscellaneous work reimbursements, etc.) that I've been stashing for a rainy day.  This does't even take half.  But if I said "hey honey... let's hire an electrician for 220 service here, here, here and here..."  yeah... I could see that going over well!

I might have to do a Denny's Rye IPA to get things rolling in homage to, well... Dennny!

But I might be a whoosie and do something else.

I can see that.  I guess I am just lucky that I do it myself and it just costs me my time.

You could use denny's yeast in my apa :D

#46 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 25 October 2016 - 11:08 AM

I can see that.  I guess I am just lucky that I do it myself and it just costs me my time.

You could use denny's yeast in my apa :D

I say make both.  first the APA, then 2 weeks later harvest the yeast and make some RIPA :frank:

#47 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 25 October 2016 - 11:13 AM

Hmm... choices!!!

Maybe I should do a simple Cream Ale to get accustomed to the system... It's not heavy on expensive hops, so if I eff it up...

Should be here sometime next week.  Good thing I'm going to be in Florida the rest of the week.  

#48 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18073 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 11:19 AM

Hmm... choices!!!

Maybe I should do a simple Cream Ale to get accustomed to the system... It's not heavy on expensive hops, so if I eff it up...

Should be here sometime next week.  Good thing I'm going to be in Florida the rest of the week.  

Yeah, that makes sense.  Cream ale or maybe a simple American Wheat.

So, can you whirlpool on these?

#49 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 25 October 2016 - 01:57 PM

Don't know yet. Maybe Denny can answer.

#50 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 26 October 2016 - 09:13 AM

Don't know yet. Maybe Denny can answer.

Yep, you can, although I haven't yet.  Supposedly that's the remedy for hops clogging the pump filter.

#51 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 27 October 2016 - 06:56 AM

I look forward to hearing about how you like it :cheers:

#52 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 27 October 2016 - 11:08 AM

I'm looking forward to using it!

One of the things I've been thinking about is that I'm the only one in the house that drinks beer.  So unless friends come over, I'll be drinking 5 gallons for a while.  I may play around with "scaling down" on some of them so I can brew more often.  Also... would allow me to try a high gravity brew again, which I haven't done in several years.

#53 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 27 October 2016 - 11:11 AM

5 gals?  pretty easy to work through that in a month or so even by yourself.

#54 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 27 October 2016 - 12:48 PM

5 gals?  pretty easy to work through that in a month or so even by yourself.

I wouldn't say I have a drink every night.  And then there are the times where I have other drinks...  so it takes me a while.

#55 Jdtirado

Jdtirado

Comptroller of Betties & Crocs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2162 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 27 October 2016 - 01:24 PM

I'm hiring someone to brew for me at home.  I will simply come in and pour grain and do the small stuff.  Of course, they will do the lifting and will do my transfers if I'm not home.  Yeah yeah that is what I want to do...

#56 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 27 October 2016 - 02:26 PM

I'm hiring someone to brew for me at home.  I will simply come in and pour grain and do the small stuff.  Of course, they will do the lifting and will do my transfers if I'm not home.  Yeah yeah that is what I want to do...

I'll let you know my opinions on the Grainfather.  If you want, I can see if Alex can do the "lifting" and stuff... then I can hire him out to you. All you have to do is pay the cost of the airline (one way), provide a place for him to sleep, maybe an XBox One to play on, and provide food (he doesn't eat much during the day but can pack the snacks away at night). 

#57 Jdtirado

Jdtirado

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2162 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 27 October 2016 - 02:30 PM

I'll let you know my opinions on the Grainfather.  If you want, I can see if Alex can do the "lifting" and stuff... then I can hire him out to you. All you have to do is pay the cost of the airline (one way), provide a place for him to sleep, maybe an XBox One to play on, and provide food (he doesn't eat much during the day but can pack the snacks away at night). 

Deal!

#58 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 27 October 2016 - 02:33 PM

You need a Pico.

#59 Jdtirado

Jdtirado

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2162 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 27 October 2016 - 02:35 PM

You need a Pico.

I think you are right.  I keep thinking that I need to get back into this but when I get home I'm exhausted, so I wind up doing nothing.  I would love to tinker and still brew but I do see how that is going to happen.

#60 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 29 October 2016 - 09:38 AM

Sitting at the airport in Ft. Lauderdale and my wife texts me that a big box was delivered at 9:30! It wasn't supposed to arrive until the 3rd!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users