• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 VirginiaBeach

VirginiaBeach

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 09:36 PM

after about 20 hours the smack pack didn't swell. I'm positive I burst the inner bubble. I was planning on making a starter tomorrow so I think I'll go to the LHBS and get some yeast, they use white labs vials. my plan is to throw both the smack pack and the vial into the starter since i don't think the dead (or non-viable) yeast can't hurt. any suggestions?Thanks...

#2 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 06 October 2009 - 03:36 AM

How old is the smack pack that you are trying to use? I have heard that for every month past the production date it takes 24 hours to swell. If its still a recent pack then I would not worry about it not swelling. As you said toss it into your starter. I would not use two different yeasts though if thats what you were going to do by going to the LHBS. I don't think the pack swelling is as important as it seems. You should be alright especially if you are making a starter. If the starter doesn't do anything then I would question the viability of the yeast. Good Luck.

#3 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 03:51 AM

How old is the smack pack that you are trying to use? I have heard that for every month past the production date it takes 24 hours to swell. If its still a recent pack then I would not worry about it not swelling. As you said toss it into your starter. I would not use two different yeasts though if thats what you were going to do by going to the LHBS. I don't think the pack swelling is as important as it seems. You should be alright especially if you are making a starter. If the starter doesn't do anything then I would question the viability of the yeast. Good Luck.

that's probably what I would do.

#4 Spoon

Spoon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • LocationLower Alabama

Posted 06 October 2009 - 04:17 AM

that's probably what I would do.

I'd make a starter at the least. I always keep a packet of Dry yeast on hand as a back-up in case nothing happens w/ the starter.

Edited by Spoon, 06 October 2009 - 04:17 AM.

#5 VirginiaBeach

VirginiaBeach

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 06:25 AM

the pack is almost 4 months old. so I should just make the starter anyway and not worry about adding another vial of yeast? it's an irish ale wyeast # 1084, and the equivalent white labs WLP004 is from the same source (guiness) atleast according to mr. malty i believe, so I figured combining the two wouldn't be bad...

#6 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 06 October 2009 - 06:31 AM

the pack is almost 4 months old. so I should just make the starter anyway and not worry about adding another vial of yeast? it's an irish ale wyeast # 1084, and the equivalent white labs WLP004 is from the same source (guiness) atleast according to mr. malty i believe, so I figured combining the two wouldn't be bad...

I say its brewer's choice (yours) If you wanna just pitch the 1084 and make a starter then go for it or you can make a starter and throw both yeasts in there and see how it turns out. I have never combined yeasts but it could be done. If the 1084 is 4 months old then yes it should take 4 days to fully swell. Either way I think you should be alright.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users