#1 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 08 April 2009 - 06:59 AM

I'll be in Atlanta GA for the last week of April for work. I'll be staying at the Westin Peachtree Plaza and I'm looking for good places to eat/drink in the area. I won't have a rental car so I'm looking for places within walking distance. I might be able to rally a crowd for an evening to get a cab/van to get to somewhere further away if it's worth it but walking/stumbling distance is always preferred :cussing: MARTA is an option if it's out-of-towner friendly.So what are some good places for dinner and after dinner beers in that part of Atlanta?

#2 DuncanDad

DuncanDad

Comptroller of Complaints and Unruly Clients

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21369 posts
  • LocationLaGrange, GA

Posted 08 April 2009 - 08:08 AM

The Peachtree Plaza is a dump. I'm sorry about that.5 Seasons is a bit out of the way but, the best brewpub in Atlanta-hands down. About 20-30 minutes away by car. On Roswell Road just inside 285, (the loop). Not the Roswell road in Cobb county though.There is a brewpub going north in Peachtree, name escapes me-chain brewpub. It's about 6 blocks up.In downtown, there isn't much except the typical tourists places like Hard Rock and Hooters. Stay away from Under Ground Atlanta unless you like to get shot.LEt me know when you have a free night and maybe we can get a crew together.

Edited by DuncanDad, 08 April 2009 - 08:09 AM.

#3 stellarbrew

stellarbrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationAcworth, GA

Posted 08 April 2009 - 08:24 AM

+1 on 5 Seasons. Well worth the effort to make your way over there.

#4 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 08 April 2009 - 08:45 AM

So the westin is a hole. Go figure.5 seasons is probably out of reach distance wise as that would be a heck of a cab ride but hey I'll see how it goes.Generally I avoid chain restaurants like the plague, Hard Rock and Hooters especially. I was thinking I wouldn't be that far from Georgia State University and University's usually have a good food and beer scene. Is there anything worthwhile around that area?Its a conference that I'm in town for and I'll have to feel out the crowd once I get there. Sometimes I have to hang out and be social, but if I can get out of it it would be very cool to catch up with some of GA contingent!

#5 UGALawDawg

UGALawDawg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 09:22 AM

The Westin is not a hole, it is a very nice hotel. It just looks kinda run down right now because they haven't fixed the windows that were busted out in the tornado last year. 5 Seasons is good, but is not going to be close to you. The best bar within walking distance is probably Sidebar. If you take MARTA to Decatur you can go to The Brick Store. They have a big beer list and good food. If you want to take a cab I suggest The East Atlanta Villiage. It is the hippest neighborhood in Atlanta, it just also happens to be my neighborhood. There are some very good restaraunts and bars in the EAV. The Gleenwood is my favorite, but Flat Iron, and The Earl are also very good. BTW, my office is right next door to the Westin Building. Let me know if you want to meet up for lunch one day, while you are in town.

#6 DuncanDad

DuncanDad

Comptroller of Complaints and Unruly Clients

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21369 posts
  • LocationLaGrange, GA

Posted 08 April 2009 - 11:29 AM

So the westin is a hole. Go figure.5 seasons is probably out of reach distance wise as that would be a heck of a cab ride but hey I'll see how it goes.Generally I avoid chain restaurants like the plague, Hard Rock and Hooters especially. I was thinking I wouldn't be that far from Georgia State University and University's usually have a good food and beer scene. Is there anything worthwhile around that area?Its a conference that I'm in town for and I'll have to feel out the crowd once I get there. Sometimes I have to hang out and be social, but if I can get out of it it would be very cool to catch up with some of GA contingent!

GA State is a strange college. It's spread out all over downtown Atlanta so, there is no real bar scene like in Athens,, Auburn or other college towns.You can jump on the MARTA train and head east. Get off in Decatur and down the street from the train station is Twain's BrewPub and a bunch of other places like Eddie's Attic, (live band bar-Indigo Girls play there often).Like I said, hit me up when you get into town, I'll make the road trip and take you out for a few. Maybe we can drag UGALawdog and the others out too.

#7 UGALawDawg

UGALawDawg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 11:47 AM

GA State is a strange college. It's spread out all over downtown Atlanta so, there is no real bar scene like in Athens,, Auburn or other college towns.You can jump on the MARTA train and head east. Get off in Decatur and down the street from the train station is Twain's BrewPub and a bunch of other places like Eddie's Attic, (live band bar-Indigo Girls play there often).Like I said, hit me up when you get into town, I'll make the road trip and take you out for a few. Maybe we can drag UGALawdog and the others out too.

It is tough to get me out at night these days, what with the new baby and all. Although, if yall are in my hood it would be easier for me to sneak out for a beer or two.

#8 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 08 April 2009 - 11:58 AM

The 2 nights I'll have to get out are Tuesday and Wednesday. I won't know which is better until I'm there. Thanks!

#9 Sidney Porter

Sidney Porter

Comptroller of the Banninated

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29304 posts
  • LocationColumbus OH

Posted 08 April 2009 - 05:23 PM

I would get on the train and go to Decatur.I think GA St U is a downtown school that caters to non traditional students (aka commuter school) I doubt that they have much of a scene.

#10 Bearphin

Bearphin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationWest of Atlanta

Posted 08 April 2009 - 08:04 PM

I believe the new 5 Seasons West will be open by then. It is within about a 10 minute cab ride of the Westin (i work in the building which shares the block with the Westin). They had a beer club meeting there last week so I think they are open.

#11 UGALawDawg

UGALawDawg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 08:51 PM

I believe the new 5 Seasons West will be open by then. It is within about a 10 minute cab ride of the Westin (i work in the building which shares the block with the Westin). They had a beer club meeting there last week so I think they are open.

No kidding, I work in the Peachtree Center Tower... Small world.

#12 MetlGuy

MetlGuy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationYork, SC

Posted 09 April 2009 - 02:15 AM

If you take MARTA to Decatur you can go to The Brick Store. They have a big beer list and good food.

+1 on the brick store pub LinkyAlso the TacoMacs are not too bad

#13 Bearphin

Bearphin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationWest of Atlanta

Posted 09 April 2009 - 08:58 PM

No kidding, I work in the Peachtree Center Tower... Small world.

I work in the old Macy's building!!Small world!! We will have to meet for a beer sometime!!

#14 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9734 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 10 April 2009 - 04:06 AM

I'll be in Atlanta GA for the last week of April for work. I'll be staying at the Westin Peachtree Plaza and I'm looking for good places to eat/drink in the area. I won't have a rental car so I'm looking for places within walking distance. I might be able to rally a crowd for an evening to get a cab/van to get to somewhere further away if it's worth it but walking/stumbling distance is always preferred :unsure: MARTA is an option if it's out-of-towner friendly.So what are some good places for dinner and after dinner beers in that part of Atlanta?

Really? Are you coming for the NEIEN conference?

#15 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 10 April 2009 - 09:14 AM

Really? Are you coming for the NEIEN conference?

That's the one. You going to be there too?

#16 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9734 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 10 April 2009 - 10:49 AM

Yup. I am the exchange network person for GA.Dont worry, we'll have a good time. There is a bunch of usual suspects that I go out with during these conferences. I'll figure something out.

#17 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 10 April 2009 - 12:27 PM

Yup. I am the exchange network person for GA.Dont worry, we'll have a good time. There is a bunch of usual suspects that I go out with during these conferences. I'll figure something out.

Ha! I'm the guy for CO. Unless you are new to the position I think I met you last year in Nashville! I know I met someone from GA but it was my first conference so the names started running together. That's funny.

#18 glennh2os

glennh2os

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 12:37 PM

Take a look at www.beermapping.com . He has a map all set up for the Atlanta area..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users