#1 Gumbo Leviathan

Gumbo Leviathan

Nutritional Anthropologist

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35404 posts
  • LocationLocation Location

Posted 08 April 2009 - 06:47 AM

I have been brewing nothing but variations of IPAs for a while now. Hey its what I generally like to drink.I usually just wing the recipie. Ill go the brew shop and just start rattling off some grains and hops. Like "Gimme 10lbs of MO, 3lbs X, 1/2lb Y" and "Uhh...hops...hmm... Gimme some NBs, cascades, willamettes, etc"Grains into the mash tun, hops into a boil...toss in some boring yeast like 1056 and let it rip. A month later I come up with a rather respectable tasting IPA.But I am bored of doing that. This weekend I am going to make an attempt at a BoPils, such that it is ready for the dead of summer heat. So, the question is...after the BoPils, what should I brew NEXT weekend? I am looking for suggestions on something entirely different from an (I)PA that wont take *forever* to be ready to drink. (6-8 weeks-ish)

#2 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 08 April 2009 - 07:05 AM

Other than a APA or IPA, my quick turn around beers are brown ales, scottish ales, Belgian mild, and I've been thinking of brewing an ESB which I think would fit the bill. They are easy to make with small grain bills and compared to making barley wines, IIPA's, Belgian strong's,.... they make for a pretty relaxing brew day!

#3 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 08 April 2009 - 07:16 AM

One of my favorites to brew is my Moose Drool Brown Ale clone. The recipe of on my site, just click the link below....

#4 earthtone

earthtone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 08 April 2009 - 07:25 AM

DRY STOUT!!!!!! :cussing: haha or if you wanna stay with something hoppy there are some great hoppy red ales or hoppy brown ales out there....you can really hit a new flavour profile in terms of the malt with these two but stay true to hoppiness if you don't want to go without!good commercial example from Ontario is Mill St. Tankhouse Ale!:smilielol:

#5 drewseslu

drewseslu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 08 April 2009 - 07:55 AM

Ordinary Bitter, Belgian Single, Saison, Witbier, 70 Schilling, Smoked Porter...so many good ways to go...

#6 BrianBrewerKS

BrianBrewerKS

Comptroller of Winging It

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 08:03 AM

I vote Witbier just 'cuz it's quite a bit different from 'other' beers.

#7 Gumbo Leviathan

Gumbo Leviathan

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35404 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 09:01 AM

I think I want to get away from anything overly hoppy for this next one. Especially considering what I have fermenting now is a 94IBU monster, and my next brew will be a BoPils.An ESB, or a British-style Brown might do the trick for what I am looking for. Im thinking something that shows off malt this time. I will need to consult my notes and see what I did for the last Brown I made. Hmm...

#8 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54185 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 09:07 AM

Blonde Ale, Red Lager (with the same yeast you used to make the BoPils) or something like an Amber Lager/Oktober/Marzen with that yeast. MAZ just made an "AprilFest"... a sort of Oktober beer but he used Wyeast 2000 Budvar for it! Cheers.

#9 Gumbo Leviathan

Gumbo Leviathan

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35404 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 09:13 AM

That sounds like a great idea for when the BoPils finishes primary. A Marzen would be mighty fine to have in the ole' kegerator come autumn...

#10 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 08 April 2009 - 09:22 AM

A smoked porter has been on my to brew list for some time. Grant's perfect Porter was what I've been planning to base it off of.

#11 Stuster

Stuster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 02:39 PM

How about something with little hops like a weizen, or if you'd like a bit more malt a dunkelweizen. A Belgian Dubbel would be good, or maybe a tripel might be more appropriate for the season, or perhaps a blonde if you don't like falling down too much. :covreyes:

#12 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 02:55 PM

How about something with little hops like a weizen, or if you'd like a bit more malt a dunkelweizen. A Belgian Dubbel would be good, or maybe a tripel might be more appropriate for the season, or perhaps a blonde if you don't like falling down too much. :covreyes:

Dunkelweizen :scratch:

#13 japh

japh

Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14976 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 08 April 2009 - 03:08 PM

I'm thinking Milds and Browns would be good categories to look at.

#14 earthtone

earthtone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 08 April 2009 - 04:32 PM

you want to stay away from hoppinesss??? well that changes everything! DRY STOUT!!!! :covreyes: https://www.brews-br...tyle_emoticons/default/headbang.gif :scratch:

#15 MAZ

MAZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 06:59 PM

Blonde Ale, Red Lager (with the same yeast you used to make the BoPils) or something like an Amber Lager/Oktober/Marzen with that yeast. MAZ just made an "AprilFest"... a sort of Oktober beer but he used Wyeast 2000 Budvar for it! Cheers.

I was just going to suggest re-using the yeast from your BoPils... I didn't even properly lager my AprilFest but it is oh so good already. Been in the keg for just a few days now. Recipe is drop dead simple:6 lbs Munich Malt6 lbs Vienna Malt.25 lb CaraMunich1 oz Perle (8.1%) - 45 min BTW - I also predominately brew IPAs, APAs, and bitters (at least 75% of the time). It's nice to have "something else" on tap besides 3 or 4 pale ales... wait, did I just say that?!?

#16 Bearphin

Bearphin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationWest of Atlanta

Posted 08 April 2009 - 07:32 PM

I have been brewing nothing but variations of IPAs for a while now. Hey its what I generally like to drink.I usually just wing the recipie. Ill go the brew shop and just start rattling off some grains and hops. Like "Gimme 10lbs of MO, 3lbs X, 1/2lb Y" and "Uhh...hops...hmm... Gimme some NBs, cascades, willamettes, etc"Grains into the mash tun, hops into a boil...toss in some boring yeast like 1056 and let it rip. A month later I come up with a rather respectable tasting IPA.But I am bored of doing that. This weekend I am going to make an attempt at a BoPils, such that it is ready for the dead of summer heat. So, the question is...after the BoPils, what should I brew NEXT weekend? I am looking for suggestions on something entirely different from an (I)PA that wont take *forever* to be ready to drink. (6-8 weeks-ish)

A nice wit - that's on my list to get ready for summer!!

#17 orudis

orudis

Deputy Comptroller of Rarts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25383 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 09 April 2009 - 07:08 AM

I'm with earthtone, if you don't have a dry stout on tap, you need to think about your priorities.

#18 TimE

TimE

Peacock Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3584 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 09 April 2009 - 12:57 PM

I'm with earthtone, if you don't have a dry stout on tap, you need to think about your priorities.

Yep, a dry stout is dead nuts easy and tastes good year round80% English pale malt10% Flaked barley10% Roasted barley (Can do 1/2 chocolate / 1/2 RB also)30-40 IBUs all at 60 minutesMash at 152, Ferment at 65 for 2 weeksCarb and drink right away

#19 earthtone

earthtone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 09 April 2009 - 03:22 PM

what Tim said.....except I usually go 65/25/10 ----- Basemalt/Flakedbarley/RBthis is my favourite style of beer, and commercial examples I've tried ain't got nuthin on a good homebrewed dry stout!!!

#20 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9736 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 10 April 2009 - 11:06 AM

hefe would be a good departure and good for the season.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users