#1 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 24 June 2016 - 10:43 AM

I'm brewing a german pilsner. Picked up the yeast last night from my buddies shop... 6 months old. It smelled a little oxidized. I went ahead and made the starters using that yeast. I think though that I'll stop at the other shop on the way home today and get a couple fresher packs. No signs of active fermentation this morning, but I did use anti foaming stuff and it's lager yeast. I'm hoping there's some sort of krausen ring when I get home today. I'll pitch them in tomorrow when I double these up.

#2 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 10:52 AM

I brewed a hobby blonde, low abv pale ale , session IPA thing on Wednesday.  That is sitting at 63/64 with some 1450.  I also snuck in a batch of helles last weekend so i think i will be off this week.  I will have a cake of 833 coming up so I am thinking of doing some kind of Festbier with that soon.

What yeast are you going with for the Pils?

#3 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53927 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 10:56 AM

Dark lager with 2352 on Saturday afternoon and a Crystal pale ale with 1056 on Sunday... Hopefully.

#4 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 24 June 2016 - 10:58 AM

Probably nothing this weekend and a lot next week.  I have grain crushed for a rye pale ale, so I need to get the that.  I just received some Loughran Family Irish ale malt and some Great Western Sacchra malt to test, so I need to get to those.  And I have 2 new chillers coming that should be here tomorrow, so I need to coordinate all the brewing to use those.

#5 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16614 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 11:02 AM

Brewing a version of my house IPA as we speak. 95.5% 2-Row, 4.5% CaraRuby Apollo to bitter and 2:1 Galaxy:Cascade in the whirlpool and dry. 1450

Probably nothing this weekend and a lot next week.  I have grain crushed for a rye pale ale, so I need to get the that.  I just received some Loughran Family Irish ale malt and some Great Western Sacchra malt to test, so I need to get to those.  And I have 2 new chillers coming that should be here tomorrow, so I need to coordinate all the brewing to use those.

Why 2 chillers, you doing something new over there?

#6 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 24 June 2016 - 11:39 AM

Brewing a version of my house IPA as we speak. 95.5% 2-Row, 4.5% CaraRuby Apollo to bitter and 2:1 Galaxy:Cascade in the whirlpool and dry. 1450

Why 2 chillers, you doing something new over there?

One is a JaDeD Hydra for my 5 gal. batches and the other is their Corny Pillar for Zymatic batches.

#7 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 11:42 AM

One is a JaDeD Hydra for my 5 gal. batches and the other is their Corny Pillar for Zymatic batches.

I have seen the JaDeD stuff and their results so I am curious how it performs for you. 

#8 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 12:06 PM

I brewed a hobby blonde, low abv pale ale , session IPA thing on Wednesday.  That is sitting at 63/64 with some 1450.  I also snuck in a batch of helles last weekend so i think i will be off this week.  I will have a cake of 833 coming up so I am thinking of doing some kind of Festbier with that soon.

What yeast are you going with for the Pils?

2124. I've done this recipe twice now with that yeast and I like it a lot. I haven't done a lot of experimenting with other lager yeasts yet. I used it on my oktoberfest too and I liked it a lot.

#9 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 24 June 2016 - 12:21 PM

I have seen the JaDeD stuff and their results so I am curious how it performs for you. 

Yeah, me too!  Supposedly should chill a 5 gal. batch in 5 min.

#10 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 12:28 PM

2124. I've done this recipe twice now with that yeast and I like it a lot. I haven't done a lot of experimenting with other lager yeasts yet. I used it on my oktoberfest too and I liked it a lot.

Cannot go wrong with that.

Yeah, me too!  Supposedly should chill a 5 gal. batch in 5 min.

Yup, those are the numbers I have seen. I chill damn fast with my cfc but I also have very cold groundwater.

#11 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53927 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 12:32 PM

2124 is great for so many styles. But if you like what 2124 brings to the table, you owe it to yourself to pick up this Omega Bayern Lager yeast. It appears (not sure) to be the same as the Wyeast private strain 2352. Both have identical numbers and both claim to be the yeast from the oldest brewery in Munich (Augustiner). It's like 2124 on steroids.

#12 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 24 June 2016 - 12:36 PM

Yup, those are the numbers I have seen. I chill damn fast with my cfc but I also have very cold groundwater.

I can get 5 gallons from boil to 65 in about 9-10 with my 25 foot 3/8" IC

#13 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 24 June 2016 - 12:56 PM

I used to have a counterflow but gave it away becasue it was more hassle than it was worth.  These things supposedly chill as fast as a counterflow or plate, but with a lot less maintenance hassle.

BTW, should be a package arriving for you today...I hope!

I can get 5 gallons from boil to 65 in about 9-10 with my 25 foot 3/8" IC

Holy crap, that's fast!  Takes me longer than that with 45-50F groundwater and a 50 ft. 3/8

#14 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 12:58 PM

I used to have a counterflow but gave it away becasue it was more hassle than it was worth.  These things supposedly chill as fast as a counterflow or plate, but with a lot less maintenance hassle.

I do not find it any hassle but my entire brewery could be considered hassle compared to yours :) 

But it is copper.. how will you go LoDO...LOL

#15 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 24 June 2016 - 01:01 PM

I do not find it any hassle but my entire brewery could be considered hassle compared to yours :)

But it is copper.. how will you go LoDO...LOL

Yeah, a good friend from Seattle came down for my 500th and said something to the effect of he didn't realize how primitive I was!  As to LODO...pfffftttt!

#16 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 24 June 2016 - 01:37 PM

BTW, should be a package arriving for you today...I hope!

Holy crap, that's fast!  Takes me longer than that with 45-50F groundwater and a 50 ft. 3/8

maybe I stir too much? I did a lager a month ago and got down to 55F in 16 minutes, but those last few degrees sucked

#17 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 24 June 2016 - 01:43 PM

maybe I stir too much? I did a lager a month ago and got down to 55F in 16 minutes, but those last few degrees sucked

I don't stir but I do use a pump to do recirculated chilling, which should be pretty much the same thing.

#18 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 02:33 PM

2124 is great for so many styles. But if you like what 2124 brings to the table, you owe it to yourself to pick up this Omega Bayern Lager yeast. It appears (not sure) to be the same as the Wyeast private strain 2352. Both have identical numbers and both claim to be the yeast from the oldest brewery in Munich (Augustiner). It's like 2124 on steroids.

Might try that. I picked up to fresh packs of 2124 and smacked them.

When you do lager starters, do you generally see a krausen ring? I think I've seen them where they don't among mine. Neither of the starters have a ring yet at 16 hours. I think I'll pitch the fresh packs. I did use the anti foam stuff so that might be at work too.

#19 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 03:01 PM

Might try that. I picked up to fresh packs of 2124 and smacked them.

When you do lager starters, do you generally see a krausen ring? I think I've seen them where they don't among mine. Neither of the starters have a ring yet at 16 hours. I think I'll pitch the fresh packs. I did use the anti foam stuff so that might be at work too.

Did a 007 style starter Saturday of 833 and had about an inch of krausen after 18 hours.

#20 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 24 June 2016 - 03:17 PM

Will be brewing something on Sunday. I planned to try out some 1332 but ditched that idea. So it will be US-05. I'm guessing a IPA. Not sure on the hops yet, would like to try a new combo to me. I'm running low on a few varieties so I may be limited on some things. I do have a pound of Azacca I've never used to work in at some point. I may just look around the recipe forum to find some hop combos and go from there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users