#1 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 17 June 2016 - 04:11 AM

So I just vacuum sealed mine into a couple of bags since I don't plan on brewing for a little while.  I figure this is the best thing I can do for storage.

It says to store in a cool environment.  I'm assuming this doesn't mean the fridge or freezer but maybe it does.  Anyone know?

dosage:

mash: 8g/barrel of mash liquor, prior to dough in (~0.26g/gal)

boil: 5g/barrel, 0-5 mins prior to end of boil (~0.16g/gal)

in both cases it says to dissolve the solution in warm water.  I don't see why for the mash I couldn't just dissolve it in the HLT once its "warm".  same difference.

so anyway.  is this what everyone is doing?

#2 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 17 June 2016 - 04:14 AM

In the other thread Denny said. 1/4 tsp in the strike water, 1/2 tsp mixed into a slurry and added to the last 15mins of the boil.

#3 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 17 June 2016 - 04:32 AM

is that for a 5 gal batch?  interesting that he has the larger amount in the boil and not the mash like the brewtan-b instructions say.  I'm glad I started this thread!

#4 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 17 June 2016 - 04:36 AM

is that for a 5 gal batch?  interesting that he has the larger amount in the boil and not the mash like the brewtan-b instructions say.  I'm glad I started this thread!

1/4 tsp. in the strike water, not the mash. 1/2 tsp. mixed in a slurry for the last 15 min. of the boil.
I just folded the top over a few times and clipped it shut.

I went back and found it just to make sure. Maybe he'll clarify that this is correct.

#5 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 17 June 2016 - 08:31 AM

Yes, that's for 5 gal.  1/4 tsp. in the strike water, 1/2 tsp. in a slurry the last 15 of the boil.  Before any finings.  Remember, I got my info from the manufacturer.  If the info on the pack is from the manufacturer, I'll ask Joe about the discrepancy.  If it looks like it was put there by the distributor, I'd ignore it.

#6 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 17 June 2016 - 08:43 AM

sorry - the instructions I have look to be from wyeast.

I'll go with your amounts.

Edited by Evil_Morty, 17 June 2016 - 08:44 AM.

#7 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 17 June 2016 - 09:05 AM

sorry - the instructions I have look to be from wyeast.

I'll go with your amounts.

Wyeast...ppfffffftt!  Whadda those guys know?  ;)

#8 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 17 June 2016 - 09:08 AM

I did not check to see if there was a discrepancy between Wyeasts instructions and the manufacturer. I put those Wyeast instructions (that I made) in with the packages just in case the law decided to open my packages since they were sent as "powdered supplements" on the shipper. I was just trying to avoid being arrested for possible drug smuggling.

By the way, the instructions are based on doing a barrel of wort, 31 not 5 gallons. 8g is likely 6X as much as you need for a 5gal batch.  ;)

#9 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 17 June 2016 - 10:16 AM

I did not check to see if there was a discrepancy between Wyeasts instructions and the manufacturer. I put those Wyeast instructions (that I made) in with the packages just in case the law decided to open my packages since they were sent as "powdered supplements" on the shipper. I was just trying to avoid being arrested for possible drug smuggling.

By the way, the instructions are based on doing a barrel of wort, 31 not 5 gallons. 8g is likely 6X as much as you need for a 5gal batch.  ;)

right.  I put the amount per gallon up there for just this reason so people could multiply by whatever their batch size is.

#10 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 21 June 2016 - 08:58 AM

So I had a chance to taste test my Brewtan beers yesterday.  This was not a blind test, just some samples I took while kegging.  Therefore, these are my impressions, not test results.  I need to brew a few more back to back batches before making any final pronouncements.  That said, here's my first impression...I brewed 2 batches of identical (as much as I could make trhem) German pils and a single batch of Rye IPA.  Comparing the pils, I'd say the Brewtan batch looks slightly clearer.  It has a more pronounced malt flavor than the non Brewtan batch.  The Rye IPA seems to have a much fuller, more present rye and barley presence than it usually does, but remember I don't have a "normal" batch to compare it to.  I will continue testing, but at this point it seems promising.

#11 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 09:04 AM

I am planning a rare mid-week brew and it will also be my first brewtan beer.  A simple hoppy blonde, Small Pale ale is on the schedule.  I also brewed up a helles this weekend and I want to turn around and brew the same beer with brewtan this weekend if the stars align.

#12 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53902 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 09:05 AM

So I had a chance to taste test my Brewtan beers yesterday.  This was not a blind test, just some samples I took while kegging.  Therefore, these are my impressions, not test results.  I need to brew a few more back to back batches before making any final pronouncements.  That said, here's my first impression...I brewed 2 batches of identical (as much as I could make trhem) German pils and a single batch of Rye IPA.  Comparing the pils, I'd say the Brewtan batch looks slightly clearer.  It has a more pronounced malt flavor than the non Brewtan batch.  The Rye IPA seems to have a much fuller, more present rye and barley presence than it usually does, but remember I don't have a "normal" batch to compare it to.  I will continue testing, but at this point it seems promising.

Do you think the "more pronounced malt flavor" could come from the brewtan blocking oxidative affects? I have an Amarillo-Citra pale ale that was just kegged, chilled and carbed and it was my first brewtan batch. I haven't tasted it but I can fix that tonight. The GBF guys mentioned that when a beer is brewed with a low-O2 process (they didn't say brewtan specifically), that the malt pops more than most people are used to and can actually come across as the beer seeming sweeter. I think I know the difference between malt and sweet but did either of your batches seem sweet or just deeper because of the maltiness? This is encouraging.

#13 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 21 June 2016 - 09:39 AM

this is promising news.  I can't wait to make my munich helles recipe!

#14 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 21 June 2016 - 11:24 AM

Do you think the "more pronounced malt flavor" could come from the brewtan blocking oxidative affects? I have an Amarillo-Citra pale ale that was just kegged, chilled and carbed and it was my first brewtan batch. I haven't tasted it but I can fix that tonight. The GBF guys mentioned that when a beer is brewed with a low-O2 process (they didn't say brewtan specifically), that the malt pops more than most people are used to and can actually come across as the beer seeming sweeter. I think I know the difference between malt and sweet but did either of your batches seem sweet or just deeper because of the maltiness? This is encouraging.

Ken, that's what I assume, but how would we know without an analysis?  As to sweeter, the pils definitely wasn't sweet, but I planned it that way.  Boiled Jever water treatment, lots of hops.  Thinking about it now, I can't say the Rye IPA was sweeter, either.  Just a more intense malt flavor than I recall.  But keep in mind, these are initial impressions, not tests.  I don't want to be guilty of stating speculation as fact, like some have dine.

#15 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 11:27 AM

Ken, that's what I assume, but how would we know without an analysis? 

What analysis could prove this?  Honest question, I really do not know what is out there for analysis type stuff.

#16 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53902 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 11:32 AM

What analysis could prove this?  Honest question, I really do not know what is out there for analysis type stuff.

I don't know either but I do know that people who love to dive into this stuff will do identical batches (maybe one with brewtan and one without), do some tastings, etc. and arrive at a conclusion. I don't have time for that so the next best thing would be for me to make beers that I make often and just see if something jumps out at me as "very different". If the brewtan does what it says it does and oxidation actually scrubs out malt flavors... then I should see a difference since I didn't really take ANY measures to ensure low-O2 except for after the boil and even then I racked through a strainer on the way to primary and added pure O2 for the yeast. I'm looking forward to trying this pale ale I have but I'm really looking forward to the helles I have in primary which is now 11 days since being brewed.

#17 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 21 June 2016 - 11:35 AM

I guess you'd have to analyze 2 batches, one with and one without, and look for O2 content?  Dunno, way out of my league!

I don't know either but I do know that people who love to dive into this stuff will do identical batches (maybe one with brewtan and one without), do some tastings, etc. and arrive at a conclusion. I don't have time for that so the next best thing would be for me to make beers that I make often and just see if something jumps out at me as "very different". If the brewtan does what it says it does and oxidation actually scrubs out malt flavors... then I should see a difference since I didn't really take ANY measures to ensure low-O2 except for after the boil and even then I racked through a strainer on the way to primary and added pure O2 for the yeast. I'm looking forward to trying this pale ale I have but I'm really looking forward to the helles I have in primary which is now 11 days since being brewed.

My observations are based on 2 batches of German pils made on back to back days, one with and one without Brewtan.  My Rye IPA observations are based on memory, like you talk about.  Hard to really trust that, though.

#18 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53902 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 11:39 AM

I guess you'd have to analyze 2 batches, one with and one without, and look for O2 content?  Dunno, way out of my league!

My observations are based on 2 batches of German pils made on back to back days, one with and one without Brewtan.  My Rye IPA observations are based on memory, like you talk about.  Hard to really trust that, though.

The German Pils batches should be a very good test, IMO. Same recipe, close in age, one with and one without. That sounds very encouraging test-wise. Oh, and there was talk of an O2 meter (dissolved O2 meter, whatever) which is quite pricey but it could be used to see if brewtan did what it says it does. I checked into the dissolved O2 meters and the cheapest one I found was around $160 and I determined that I wasn't that interested in it.

#19 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 21 June 2016 - 11:42 AM

The German Pils batches should be a very good test, IMO. Same recipe, close in age, one with and one without. That sounds very encouraging test-wise. Oh, and there was talk of an O2 meter (dissolved O2 meter, whatever) which is quite pricey but it could be used to see if brewtan did what it says it does. I checked into the dissolved O2 meters and the cheapest one I found was around $160 and I determined that I wasn't that interested in it.

I'm not sure that O2 meter would help.  from what I recall brewtan is stopping oxidation, not oxygen going into solution.

#20 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16606 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 11:42 AM

IIRC brewtan B does not keep O2 out of solution, it just prevents it from reacting with the contents of your mash/wort. If thats the case measuring O2 may not be a good way to see if it's working.

ETA: Dammit Morty!

Edited by neddles, 21 June 2016 - 11:42 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users