#1 shaggaroo

shaggaroo

Comptroller of Hot Flashes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1965 posts
  • LocationMiddle of Nowhere, NY

Posted 01 October 2009 - 03:54 PM

I was thinking of taking the first quart of the runnings and adding some raisins and dates and boiling it down to maybe half the original volume or less. I seem to recall someone doing this somewhere on one of the many boards out there. Any advice??Thanks,Jeff

#2 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 01 October 2009 - 03:58 PM

Most of the time with Belgians you're looking for very high attenuation. So for that reason I wouldn't recommend boiling down the first runnings.

#3 drewseslu

drewseslu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 01 October 2009 - 04:08 PM

You could boil down a small portion of the first runnins, but Mtn is right on.Belgian Dark Candy Syrup is pretty great, too, if you can find it.

#4 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 01 October 2009 - 04:12 PM

Belgian Dark Candy Syrup is pretty great, too, if you can find it.

Word. I should have thought to mention that. :D

#5 shaggaroo

shaggaroo

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1965 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 04:16 PM

Unfortunately my D2 Candy syrup won't arrive in time but I do have 1/2 a pound of the regular dark candy syrup which I planned on using. I guess I was thinking of getting that raisiny/datey taste in the final product but I can easily be persuaded to forget it. I'll be using WYeast 1762. I'll be going along the lines of Herman Holtrop's Rochefort clone recipe. And as far as attenuation, his only drops to 1.021 from 1.084, if that changes anything.

Edited by shaggaroo, 01 October 2009 - 04:17 PM.

#6 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 01 October 2009 - 04:46 PM

Unfortunately my D2 Candy syrup won't arrive in time but I do have 1/2 a pound of the regular dark candy syrup which I planned on using. I guess I was thinking of getting that raisiny/datey taste in the final product but I can easily be persuaded to forget it. I'll be using WYeast 1762. I'll be going along the lines of Herman Holtrop's Rochefort clone recipe. And as far as attenuation, his only drops to 1.021 from 1.084, if that changes anything.

If you want the dried fruit/toffee flavor, use about a half pound of dark crystal such as Special B or CaraAroma. If you don't have either of those, then any kind of C120+ will do.

#7 shaggaroo

shaggaroo

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1965 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 04:48 PM

OK cool, thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users