#2 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 01 October 2009 - 03:56 PM

I've used them and I like them a lot. They're in the Goldings family so you'll get some of what you get with EKG (mostly floral with some earthiness). I rank them 3rd behind EKG and WGV in that family. But they seem to be a lot more available than the other two.

#3 nbbeerguy

nbbeerguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • LocationFredericton NB Canada

Posted 01 October 2009 - 03:59 PM

How much orange/citrus flavors are there as hops direct describe them orangy

#4 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 01 October 2009 - 04:06 PM

Not enough to be objectionable.

#5 nbbeerguy

nbbeerguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 04:20 PM

Orange Sunset3.75 lbs. Canadian Wheat Malt 4.25 lbs. Canadian 2-row Hops.5 oz. First Gold (Pellets, 7.50 %AA) boiled 60 min.1 oz. First Gold (Pellets, 7.50 %AA) boiled 2 min.1 Oz Orange Zest @ 60Min2 Oz Sweet Orange Zest @ 5 MinYeastUS-05

#6 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 01 October 2009 - 04:42 PM

I've used them and I like them a lot. They're in the Goldings family so you'll get some of what you get with EKG (mostly floral with some earthiness). I rank them 3rd behind EKG and WGV in that family. But they seem to be a lot more available than the other two.

+1. I agree with Mtn. I have used them often in my English Beers in place of EKG and have gotten great feedback on those beers as well. I bought an additional lb of these a couple of months ago. Its a nice hop to brew with too.

#7 JimNasium

JimNasium

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationSpringfield, MO

Posted 01 October 2009 - 04:56 PM

I just purchased a pound from hopsdirect with the intent of subbing them for EKG. It's nice to hear they are working out for others.

#8 *_Guest_Matt C_*

*_Guest_Matt C_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 October 2009 - 07:49 AM

I just purchased a pound from hopsdirect with the intent of subbing them for EKG. It's nice to hear they are working out for others.

I just got my order of Target Hops in from hops direct. I have never used them or heard of them for that matter, but When I had the chance to give them a sniff, they smelled very similar to EKG. I am considering just brewing an all Target hops english IPA. I will be using these again,if I can't get challenger hops of course.

#9 nbbeerguy

nbbeerguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 09:37 AM

Well I changed my Brew Took Kens Grain bill from Cabana Lager. 6 Lbs 2 Row1.5 Lbs Vienna Malt1 Lbs Wheat Malt .25 Oz First Gold @ 60 Min.25 Oz First Gold @ 30 Min.25 Oz First Gold @ 15 Min.25 Oz First Gold @ 3 Min1.0 Oz Sweet Tangerine Zest @ 30 Min0.5 Oz Sweet Tangerine Zest @ 15 Min1.0 Oz Sweet Tangerine Zest @ 3 MinSaflager S-23Primary @ 52F

#10 drewseslu

drewseslu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 05 October 2009 - 10:10 AM

I'll add to the FG love, they are a tasty Golding-type.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users