#1 Trub L

Trub L

Hooked on a Feelin

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 112413 posts
  • LocationIn the Middle

Posted 30 September 2009 - 04:54 PM

Hi, I've been lurking for awhile, and I heard about this forum from some friends.My question is this - are those rubber-coated carboy handles good for placing fermenters deep down inside chest freezers, or should the entire "strap" setup be used? Any experiences? Thoughts?

#2 RommelMagic

RommelMagic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationHighland Falls, NY

Posted 30 September 2009 - 05:06 PM

If you are talking about glass carboys, I would not use those handles while the carboy is filled. Get one of those Brew Haulers - the nylon straps I think you're referring to. Just be sure the webbing is evenly distributed.

#3 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 30 September 2009 - 05:44 PM

If you are talking about glass carboys, I would not use those handles while the carboy is filled. Get one of those Brew Haulers - the nylon straps I think you're referring to. Just be sure the webbing is evenly distributed.

While I can't argue the point that Rommel has made I must admit that I use chest freezers exclusively and have a handle on two of the fermentation carboys that I consistently use. I don't try to suspend the weight with them but they are handy and I have good luck with mine so I can't bash the handles myself either.

#4 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 30 September 2009 - 06:44 PM

I use the handles myself, And I know the brewer at my LHBS also does. YMMV

#5 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64061 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 30 September 2009 - 08:21 PM

I used the carboy handles to lug full carboys around for years. I never considered that the neck might snap off, which is apparently the concern here. Heck, back when I wasn't a weakling I used to carry carboys by hand by the neck. I think the only chance for there being an issue is if there is a noticeable imperfection in the glass at the neck, or if you severely overtighten the handle.Have you ever heard of someone having the neck of the carboy snap off while carrying it with a carboy handle? I haven't.

#6 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 01 October 2009 - 04:34 AM

... Have you ever heard of someone having the neck of the carboy snap off while carrying it with a carboy handle? I haven't.

Over at "the board that cannot be named" one person posted that it did happen to him. Now that was one guy out of hundreds that use them. Back in the day of glass water bottle coolers, our delivery guy would carry two filled five gallon carboys by the neck all day long. He had no neck. His shoulders went on a straight line up to his earlobes. He never broke one, and I wasn't going to call his integrity into question, as it would obviously be bad for my health.I do believe you can over-tighten them and stress the glass causing a fracture. So truly YMMV.

#7 Sidney Porter

Sidney Porter

Comptroller of the Banninated

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29283 posts
  • LocationColumbus OH

Posted 01 October 2009 - 07:50 AM

I use the straps, but milk crates would also work

#8 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 01 October 2009 - 09:27 AM

Have you ever heard of someone having the neck of the carboy snap off while carrying it with a carboy handle? I haven't.

I have....more than once.

#9 beach

beach

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1160 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 01 October 2009 - 04:12 PM

Milk crate.Beach

#10 RommelMagic

RommelMagic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationHighland Falls, NY

Posted 04 October 2009 - 05:05 AM

The problem with the handles is that it is unevenly distributing the weight of the carboy and contents towards one side, which assists in the possibility of the neck cracking. I had used them but I like the straps much better. And not that I do whatever the manufacturer of a product says, but the one for the handle says that it is not suggested to use the handle with a full carboy. I'd rather pay the $15 extra and get the brew hauler over the handle.

#11 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 04 October 2009 - 09:30 AM

I know a guy that the neck broke due to the handle, and he ended up with his hand really jacked up for life because of sliced tendons. His hand is unusable, and deformed looking. So, I just don't risk it. Matter of fact, I have moved to better bottles just because the glass kind of freaks me out.

#12 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 03:24 AM

The problem with the handles is that it is unevenly distributing the weight of the carboy and contents towards one side, which assists in the possibility of the neck cracking. I had used them but I like the straps much better. And not that I do whatever the manufacturer of a product says, but the one for the handle says that it is not suggested to use the handle with a full carboy. I'd rather pay the $15 extra and get the brew hauler over the handle.

If I was using glass I'd either put it in a milk crate or use one of these hauler products. As others have said - not worth the risk.

#13 Buzz Buzzard

Buzz Buzzard

Comptroller of Fanatical Political Expressionism

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12316 posts
  • LocationHere, not there.

Posted 05 October 2009 - 04:33 AM

I know a guy that the neck broke due to the handle, and he ended up with his hand really jacked up for life because of sliced tendons. His hand is unusable, and deformed looking. So, I just don't risk it. Matter of fact, I have moved to better bottles just because the glass kind of freaks me out.

Badogg, First this is meant with all due respect, but, I am having a hard time visualizing how one could get his hand jacked up by the failure of the neck using a handle.If you are holding a full carboy, the neck breaks, the carboy falls away and your hand jerks up and away from the weighty part.Your legs and feet are in danger for certain in that scenario, but I see few possibilities where my hand, arm etc... are at risk.

#14 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 04:57 AM

Badogg, First this is meant with all due respect, but, I am having a hard time visualizing how one could get his hand jacked up by the failure of the neck using a handle.If you are holding a full carboy, the neck breaks, the carboy falls away and your hand jerks up and away from the weighty part.Your legs and feet are in danger for certain in that scenario, but I see few possibilities where my hand, arm etc... are at risk.

Only thing I can think of is he either fell on the glass or he tried to catch it with the other hand or these things actually explode when they break and shards of glass fly in all directions.

#15 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64061 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 05 October 2009 - 06:29 AM

The uncertainty around this is one of the reasons I don't use carboys any more. Thankfully, I never broke a carboy full of beer (broke a few empties though). Carrying around a 50+ lb. glass jug is just inherently dangerous. I'll continue to avoid it, if possible.

#16 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 05 October 2009 - 07:21 AM

The uncertainty around this is one of the reasons I don't use carboys any more. Thankfully, I never broke a carboy full of beer (broke a few empties though). Carrying around a 50+ lb. glass jug is just inherently dangerous. I'll continue to avoid it, if possible.

Then What do you ferment in?

#17 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64061 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 05 October 2009 - 07:28 AM

Then What do you ferment in?

Plastic conical, but the timing just happened to be right on that one. I found one available for a good price. Even if I hadn't bought the conical I was just going to use a 15 gallon plastic drum. Eventually, I'm going to move to Sanke fermenters. After about 2-4 weeks in primary, I move the beer to cornies.

#18 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 07:35 AM

I enjoy my plastic buckets and better bottles for secondary.

#19 realbeerguy

realbeerguy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1974 posts
  • LocationBluffton, SC

Posted 05 October 2009 - 08:01 AM

I have....more than once.

thisI use milk crates for the carboys to move them around with a handtruck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users