Photo
- - - - -

Thoughts on future basement electric brewery?

• Please log in to reply
129 replies to this topic

#101 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 19 May 2016 - 06:56 PM

Always a learning curve, at least it all works.

Oh, nice fermenter :)

Yea, even with all the mistakes that I made and things I already want to add/change, I am still stoked.

This is the first use of the chapman fermenter too, so I am excited to see how well it works (really, just that it seals well and is easy to clean). If I am happy with it, I will probably get at least another 14, and maybe a 7 later on.

Are you the one that originally posted about them? I missed their earlier pricing, but it is still the best value for this size stainless fermenter. I also had an issue with the first lid sealing, and they took care of me quickly (though shipping transit took a while, but I didn't need it quickly anyway).

#102 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68759 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 19 May 2016 - 07:38 PM

Pretty awesome gnef, I chuckled aloud at the mash tun lid gaff.

#103 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 19 May 2016 - 07:43 PM

Pretty awesome gnef, I chuckled aloud at the mash tun lid gaff.

Haha. Me too, afterwards. I was pouring the grain into the hopper, and was wondering why there was so much particulate matter hitting my feet (I was wearing flip flops). I looked down, and realized I was milling onto the lid. It took me a couple seconds to turn off the mill at the wall switch, and I just stared at the lid and mill for a moment wondering how I missed that.

#104 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68759 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 19 May 2016 - 08:18 PM

What motor it's that on the mill+

#105 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18075 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 08:26 PM

Yea, even with all the mistakes that I made and things I already want to add/change, I am still stoked.

This is the first use of the chapman fermenter too, so I am excited to see how well it works (really, just that it seals well and is easy to clean). If I am happy with it, I will probably get at least another 14, and maybe a 7 later on.

Are you the one that originally posted about them? I missed their earlier pricing, but it is still the best value for this size stainless fermenter. I also had an issue with the first lid sealing, and they took care of me quickly (though shipping transit took a while, but I didn't need it quickly anyway).

Yeah, I posted about them a while back and got some good pricing. My seal with some help and hold 5+ psi. I added triclamps to mine as well.

#106 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 19 May 2016 - 08:37 PM

I can't remember the exact model, but I recall some of the specs, it rotates CCW so I had to flip the drive roller, and it runs around 170-190 RPM, so I was able to use spider couplings. Sheaves and pulleys scared me, so I liked being able to use spider couplings. I bought it from an online electronics surplus site, and I recall it was fairly inexpensive, even with shipping. This was probably around 2006-2007 or so, and when I looked for the motor later on, it was gone. I don't think it was one of the 'beefy bodines' that was also popular at that time. I can look through my old emails to see if I can find more info on it though.

Yeah, I posted about them a while back and got some good pricing. My seal with some help and hold 5+ psi. I added triclamps to mine as well.

Thanks for posting that! I remember clicking on links, and realizing that they were within my budget. I had only previously heard of brew bucket, and I didn't think they were a good fit for me. I'll think of adding triclamps later on, I want to see how well they work for me first. I recall seeing a thread with a picture on it with your tri clamp setup. Would you mind posting a link to it again? I'd like to see what you did with them.

#107 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 19 May 2016 - 10:14 PM

I went through my old emails, and found that I bought it in early 2007 from electronics surplus. They listed the motor as:  RFE 173 RPM  MOTOR

Doing a quick search, I found a lot of old threads all over the place about people using it, as well as the beefy bodines. When doing the quick search, I also couldn't find any current retailers though, so I don't know if that even helps you at this point. Sorry!

#108 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18075 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 05:20 AM

I went through my old emails, and found that I bought it in early 2007 from electronics surplus. They listed the motor as:  RFE 173 RPM  MOTOR

Doing a quick search, I found a lot of old threads all over the place about people using it, as well as the beefy bodines. When doing the quick search, I also couldn't find any current retailers though, so I don't know if that even helps you at this point. Sorry!

I think I have that same motor!

I can't remember the exact model, but I recall some of the specs, it rotates CCW so I had to flip the drive roller, and it runs around 170-190 RPM, so I was able to use spider couplings. Sheaves and pulleys scared me, so I liked being able to use spider couplings. I bought it from an online electronics surplus site, and I recall it was fairly inexpensive, even with shipping. This was probably around 2006-2007 or so, and when I looked for the motor later on, it was gone. I don't think it was one of the 'beefy bodines' that was also popular at that time. I can look through my old emails to see if I can find more info on it though.

Thanks for posting that! I remember clicking on links, and realizing that they were within my budget. I had only previously heard of brew bucket, and I didn't think they were a good fit for me. I'll think of adding triclamps later on, I want to see how well they work for me first. I recall seeing a thread with a picture on it with your tri clamp setup. Would you mind posting a link to it again? I'd like to see what you did with them.

I will create a thread dedicated to them.  I have a few more things I plan to do to them and will do a write up.  Right now I think the pictures are spread out in various threads so this will be easier.

#109 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 20 May 2016 - 10:44 AM

I think I have that same motor!

I will create a thread dedicated to them.  I have a few more things I plan to do to them and will do a write up.  Right now I think the pictures are spread out in various threads so this will be easier.

Haha. It has been an excellent motor for me, more than enough power to run the mill with my 2 roller crank and stein mill. I have thought about upgrading to a 3 roller moster mill, but I just can't justify the cost, at least right now.

I look forward to your post on your modifications, I may try to do similarly if I think it would work well for me too!

#110 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68759 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 20 May 2016 - 12:37 PM

is that the legendary "beefy bodine"?

I remember the threads, but didn't have a mill yet

#111 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18075 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 12:43 PM

If not IT then a very close second.

#112 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68759 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 20 May 2016 - 12:51 PM

I have a too slow dayton gearmotor I brought home from work years ago, that I was hoping would work as a mill motor, but sadly it's only a 60 RPM model, I thought about trying it anyway but haven't gotten around to it.

#113 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 20 May 2016 - 04:43 PM

No, this wasn't one of the bodines, those bodines had much more torque if I remember correctly, but I don't see the need considering how well mine has worked. If I were looking for a motor nowadays though, I don't know what I would get. I'm just glad I have this one!

60 RPM seems like it could work, but would just take a long time to mill all the grain. How difficult would it be to try it out for you?

#114 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 20 May 2016 - 06:18 PM

I got one of the Beefy Bodines.  I think someone found some made in '85 in long term storage.  Dirt cheap and plenty of torque.  jkonert  (greenboard) if I remember correctly figured out how to wire it to reverse if needed and posted how to do it.  That thing will outlive me and the next person that gets it.  Solid little gearmotor.  I think everyone was buying them at $29.99 as I recall. 

#115 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68759 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 20 May 2016 - 08:40 PM

No, this wasn't one of the bodines, those bodines had much more torque if I remember correctly, but I don't see the need considering how well mine has worked. If I were looking for a motor nowadays though, I don't know what I would get. I'm just glad I have this one!

60 RPM seems like it could work, but would just take a long time to mill all the grain. How difficult would it be to try it out for you?

I was thinking that with the slow rpm I could crank the gap down tighter, $12 worth of spider gears would be all I really need to test out the idea.

#116 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 20 May 2016 - 10:26 PM

I got one of the Beefy Bodines.  I think someone found some made in '85 in long term storage.  Dirt cheap and plenty of torque.  jkonert  (greenboard) if I remember correctly figured out how to wire it to reverse if needed and posted how to do it.  That thing will outlive me and the next person that gets it.  Solid little gearmotor.  I think everyone was buying them at $29.99 as I recall. 

Yea, I think I was too late to the game for the bodines, but I really am happy with the motor I have now. I don't know of any inexpensive motors available now that have the torque requirements for milling grain with spider couplings.

I was thinking that with the slow rpm I could crank the gap down tighter, $12 worth of spider gears would be all I really need to test out the idea.

Sounds like it would be worth an experiment if anything! The only worry I would have with tightening the gap would be the grain actually feeding through, but if you go this route, you'll get a feel for how tight you can go before you have problems. What mill do you have? I believe 3 rollers would be more conducive to pulling grain through even through a tight secondary gap, and if you have larger diameter rollers (I'm thinking of the Monster mill 2 inch rollers), the tangential speed will be greater compared to smaller diameter rollers, along with the angle being more conducive to pulling grain through.

#117 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68759 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 21 May 2016 - 07:20 AM

Yea, I think I was too late to the game for the bodines, but I really am happy with the motor I have now. I don't know of any inexpensive motors available now that have the torque requirements for milling grain with spider couplings.

Sounds like it would be worth an experiment if anything! The only worry I would have with tightening the gap would be the grain actually feeding through, but if you go this route, you'll get a feel for how tight you can go before you have problems. What mill do you have? I believe 3 rollers would be more conducive to pulling grain through even through a tight secondary gap, and if you have larger diameter rollers (I'm thinking of the Monster mill 2 inch rollers), the tangential speed will be greater compared to smaller diameter rollers, along with the angle being more conducive to pulling grain through.

I have the crank and Stein 2A

#118 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 21 May 2016 - 08:00 AM

I have the crank and Stein 2A

Ah, well, disregard what I said about the 3 roller mill. That is the exact same mill I have. It has worked well for me. I sorta wish it didn't so that I could justify getting a fancier one! My knurls still look great except for where it tried to mill small stones a couple times that were in the grain sacks.

#119 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 25 May 2016 - 11:01 PM

Well, I've finished the second batch now. I did another overnight mash. This time, I forgot to setup the manifold in the mash tun, so I had to dump out some of the grain and strike water into a 5 gallon bucket, connect the manifold properly, and then dump back in the grain, and then add the remainder of the strike. Not a terrible mistake, but I need to be a lot more cognizant of what I am doing.

I also put down towels in advance this time which helped a lot. Overall, a smoother brew day, though it was interrupted by things the wife asked me to do. That is one thing about brewing electric and having everything in a permanent location - I was able to go to the grocery store, and just put the element at 50% while I was gone so that when I got back, I could crank it to 100% and get the boil going right away without actually losing much time.

I did an ordinary bitter, another style that should be easy to tell if I have issues with my brewing setup or overall process. I also wanted to start a series using WY1469 which I've never used before, but I have seen posted here in other threads. If I am able to brew as much as I think I'll be able to, I should have a number of beers using this yeast within the next few months.

I also have US-05 going right now with the cream ale. I plan on doing a shorter series with that, ending in a barleywine. If I can save enough to get another chapman fermenter, I may do 20 gallons of the barleywine eventually so that I can start the first vessel of the solera that I've been thinking of doing for a long time.

If I max out the styles I want with these two yeasts, I may then go for a lager yeast and see if I can do a lager series, which I haven't done in years.

Having the sink down there also makes it really easy to clean kegs. I used to have to lug them upstairs to the kitchen to clean which was always a pain.

I've also started a cleaning cycle of the tubing and racking cane that I use - I had noticed a lot of buildup in the racking cane, and from the other thread, I realized I hadn't done a thorough cleaning of the silicone brewing tubing. I did a hot PBW recirculation first, and got a lot of gunk out of everything, especially the racking cane, it was completely cleaned by the end. I then rinsed with hot water, and then did a concentrated (2oz in1 gallon of water) heated saniclean recirculation, and now I'm letting it sit overnight, and then I'll do another recirculation tomorrrow and then a final rinse. I really should do these deep cleanings more often, especially considering how much stuff came out during the PBW phase. The silicone tubing doesn't seem too be that much better, but we'll see how it looks tomorrow after the soak and another recirculation.

#120 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68759 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 27 May 2016 - 08:29 AM

1469 is my new favorite Brit yeast

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users