36 replies to this topic

#21 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16767 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 06:26 AM

Did you try the beechwood aged Metropolitan lager?

No. I was supposed to go with my brother but I couldn't make it happen. He went and when I asked him what beers he had there he could only remember like 2 of them.  :banghead:  He's 10 yrs. younger than I and is yet unfamiliar with the concept of pacing himself.

#22 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 11 March 2016 - 06:39 AM

No. I was supposed to go with my brother but I couldn't make it happen. He went and when I asked him what beers he had there he could only remember like 2 of them.  :banghead:  He's 10 yrs. younger than I and is yet unfamiliar with the concept of pacing himself.

I judged in the morning(sour with fruit)/afternoon(barleywine) so I only hung out a bit for the Friday evening session. It's a lot of high abv stuff. 

#23 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9093 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 11 March 2016 - 09:26 AM

I am liking this idea. I had barrel aged Old Chub once and it was very nice. I can make this work, great idea.

Simpson's Golden Promise an 1 oz. roasted barley.  Simple grist for an amazing beer.  Boil the first gal. of runnings down to a qt. or less and add it back the kettle.

#24 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18088 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 09:35 AM

Simpson's Golden Promise an 1 oz. roasted barley.  Simple grist for an amazing beer.  Boil the first gal. of runnings down to a qt. or less and add it back the kettle.

1oz/5g?

I will have to bust out the old turkey fryer to boil those runnings down, no way to do that on my electric system.

#25 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54605 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 09:35 AM

I apologize for dancing around the OP and contributing nothing ( :P) but I just went and dug up my old Scottish Ale recipe and polished it up a little bit. I actually found an old post of mine on our local (and dead...) board where I was talking about my Scottish Ale and how I hadn't brewed it in a long time and that was in 2007. So I don't think I ever made this beer after I went AG. I'm going to order some 1728 and make something between a 70+/- and an 80+/- (about 4.5%). Now back to our regularly scheduled programming...

#26 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16767 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 09:47 AM

I apologize for dancing around the OP and contributing nothing ( :P) but I just went and dug up my old Scottish Ale recipe and polished it up a little bit. I actually found an old post of mine on our local (and dead...) board where I was talking about my Scottish Ale and how I hadn't brewed it in a long time and that was in 2007. So I don't think I ever made this beer after I went AG. I'm going to order some 1728 and make something between a 70+/- and an 80+/- (about 4.5%). Now back to our regularly scheduled programming...

If you don't mind post up the recipe or at least what you plan to do. I haven't brewed a scottish ale yet I have been thinking about doing one to put in my pin. Or if anyone else has a winner in the style...

#27 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16767 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 09:51 AM

I judged in the morning(sour with fruit)/afternoon(barleywine) so I only hung out a bit for the Friday evening session. It's a lot of high abv stuff. 

Must have been hard not to get wrecked. Judge some great beers?

#28 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54605 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 09:54 AM

If you don't mind post up the recipe or at least what you plan to do. I haven't brewed a scottish ale yet I have been thinking about doing one to put in my pin. Or if anyone else has a winner in the style...

My recipe was in "extract" form, believe it or not. I'm actually going past one of my LHBS later today and may pick up what I need. Anyone who is a Scottish authority, please push this in the right direction. I tweaked my extract recipe thusly:

7 lbs Maris Otter, Golden Promise or Rahr Pale Ale Malt
8 ounces of British Crystal Dark #1 (90-110L?)
4 ounces Brown Sugar (added to the kettle)
1 ounce Pale Chocolate
1 ounce of something like EKG, US Golding, Styrian Goldings or Willamette at about 5% to maybe 5.5% for 60 minutes
Wyeast 1728 Scottish Ale yeast

This would make a 4.5% beer around 10 SRM and around 25 IBUs. The whole 60/70/80/90 thing is on the low end of things, generally. Almost like English Bitters. For example, a 70+/- is something like 1.034 to 1.038 starting gravity according to Tastybrew (which could be outdated). My original extract recipe called for maltodextrin to give the beer more body. What I would do here is mash slightly higher for my system and build the water with quite a bit of chloride. These beers are supposed to be soft and malty and still well-balanced. They should not be overly minerally or crisp. Again, poke holes if anyone sees a glaring goof.

A quick search of teh Google Machine shows that a 60 Shilling is 1.030 to 1.035, a 70 Shilling is 1.035 to 1.040, 80 Shilling is 1.040 to 1.054 and a Wee Heavy is 1.072 to 1.088. I thought there was a 90 Shilling too. Are Wee Heavy and 90 Shilling interchangeable terms? This puts my recipe in the 80 shilling range. My extract version was called a 60 Shilling but even then I had it closer to 1.040 than 1.030.

#29 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9093 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 11 March 2016 - 10:18 AM

1oz/5g?

I will have to bust out the old turkey fryer to boil those runnings down, no way to do that on my electric system.

Yep.  Just a bit for color.  Recipe is here...https://wiki.homebre....org/WeeShroomy .  Just leave out the mushrooms!

#30 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 11 March 2016 - 10:22 AM

Must have been hard not to get wrecked. Judge some great beers?

Luckily the flights weren't huge and I wasn't judging the mini-bos. There were some great ones and some clunkers. I didn't find out which beers I had judged. I'd definitely do it again if they ask me.

#31 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54605 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 02:50 PM

Just to continue with my loosely-related tangent: I went to the LHBS and picked up some Thomas Fawcett Golden Promise. The label reads, A Traditional Pale Ale malt that is grown in Scotland. It produces a sweet, mellow wort that is excellent for brewing AND distilling...2.3 to 3.0°L. I also picked up some US Goldings which is a hop that I really like. It's domestic but has a great English character while remaining very clean. I got a pack of 1728 with a January date on it.

#32 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16544 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 11 March 2016 - 09:57 PM

Just to continue with my loosely-related tangent: I went to the LHBS and picked up some Thomas Fawcett Golden Promise. The label reads, A Traditional Pale Ale malt that is grown in Scotland. It produces a sweet, mellow wort that is excellent for brewing AND distilling...2.3 to 3.0°L. I also picked up some US Goldings which is a hop that I really like. It's domestic but has a great English character while remaining very clean. I got a pack of 1728 with a January date on it.

How long do you plan on aging this in your barrel?

#33 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18088 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 06:42 AM

How long do you plan on aging this in your barrel?

Not sure Ken has a barrel. For me it will be pulled it when it tastes right 😀

Edited by drez77, 12 March 2016 - 06:43 AM.

#34 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54605 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 09:23 AM

Not sure Ken has a barrel. For me it will be pulled it when it tastes right

Right, no barrel here. But you did remind me that my Scottish Ale recipe did call for 2 ounces of steamed oak chips to be added to the secondary. Those 2 ounces of oak chips ended up being VERY strong on the wood. More than I would care for. I remember experimenting with 1 ounce, half-an-ounce and even no oak at all. I'm not sure that I would bother with the chips at all... I need to noodle with that one.

#35 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16767 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 09:43 AM

Right, no barrel here. But you did remind me that my Scottish Ale recipe did call for 2 ounces of steamed oak chips to be added to the secondary. Those 2 ounces of oak chips ended up being VERY strong on the wood. More than I would care for. I remember experimenting with 1 ounce, half-an-ounce and even no oak at all. I'm not sure that I would bother with the chips at all... I need to noodle with that one.

Yeah 2 ozs. oak chips (as opposed to cubes/beans) sounds like a lot.

#36 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54605 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 10:00 AM

Yeah 2 ozs. oak chips (as opposed to cubes/beans) sounds like a lot.

Yeah, I assume the chips give off more flavor than a cube or spiral or something. This was a long time ago and I was very green. I followed a recipe and the resulting beer tasted like smooth, mellow ale spiked with whiskey. Not necessarily a bad thing but I was surprised. Personally I'm not a fan of overly-woody beers. Some wood character way in the background could be okay but this one was very in-your-face.

#37 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16767 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 10:04 AM

Yeah, I assume the chips give off more flavor than a cube or spiral or something. This was a long time ago and I was very green. I followed a recipe and the resulting beer tasted like smooth, mellow ale spiked with whiskey. Not necessarily a bad thing but I was surprised. Personally I'm not a fan of overly-woody beers. Some wood character way in the background could be okay but this one was very in-your-face.

Yeah chips are much quicker than cubes to extract and are said to be more one dimensional. I can see where a subtle touch of oak would be nice in the style though.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users