Photo
- - - - -

Is there German significance to this design?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54578 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 12:18 PM

Most architectural styles and features you see in the US came from Europe. That pattern, covering the lower 2/3 of the wall must have been in style when a lot of the old German, British, Irish, etc. pubs were built, because it is really common in the ones that haven't been ruined by remodelling.

Yes, you just expressed my exact idea right there. As I walk into the bar area now, it really has the look and feel of a "pub". It really adds some punch and it enhances things very nicely. As if I needed more reasons to walk into my bar and tap a beer! :lol: Cheers Beerheads.

Ps. I forgot to mention that I lucked out with this project a little bit. In the first 'finished' picture, the design runs to the right and into a corner where there is a small garbage can so I didn't have to try to find a way to make the design end gracefully because it's completely out of sight. On the other wall, the design disappears behind the fridge so I didn't have to worry about anything there either. I did not move the fridge so what happens behind there is probably ugly but it won't be seen unless we replace the fridge which would probably be replaced with another fridge anyway.

#22 cavman

cavman

Comptroller of BigPossMan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 28 February 2016 - 02:23 PM

Don't worry Ken it looks great and does have that pub feel to it, a bit classy as well.

#23 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 28 February 2016 - 03:22 PM

Don't worry Ken it looks great and does have that pub feel to it, a bit classy as well.

I think everyone is pretty impressed.  or at least I know I am.  his bar looks awesome!  mine is my unfinished basement :D

#24 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 28 February 2016 - 04:34 PM

I think everyone is pretty impressed. or at least I know I am. his bar looks awesome! mine is my unfinished basement :D

Yeah, very nice! (My "bar" is just me and Cav standing around my kitchen with a view of a junkyard... I mean welding shop.)

#25 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54578 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 04:57 PM

:lol:

Well, it's one of the few areas of the house where I can adjust things with no prior consent. The bar, the brew bunker, the garage and the shed. In those spots, I have free reign!  :frank:

#26 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 28 February 2016 - 05:46 PM

Yeah, very nice! (My "bar" is just me and Cav standing around my kitchen with a view of a junkyard... I mean welding shop.)

you mean SS supply depot!

#27 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 29 February 2016 - 11:43 AM

Now all you need are some faux wood rafters and it will really start to look like a German pub!

#28 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 29 February 2016 - 11:43 AM

Now all you need are some faux wood rafters and it will really start to look like a German pub!

I can't see the pics but I think he'll have to work those into his drop ceiling :P

#29 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54578 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 12:23 PM

The ceiling is actually drywalled and I once considered getting those "tray ceiling" panels... you know what I'm talking about? They make them out of plastic (like 1/16" thin) and they have an old-school art-deco pattern on them. You order them white and paint them (gold, copper, bronze, pewter, etc) and just tack them in place. But the ceiling is already mildly low in the bar and I think it would REALLY get claustrophobic in there.

#30 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 29 February 2016 - 01:24 PM

The ceiling is actually drywalled and I once considered getting those "tray ceiling" panels... you know what I'm talking about? They make them out of plastic (like 1/16" thin) and they have an old-school art-deco pattern on them. You order them white and paint them (gold, copper, bronze, pewter, etc) and just tack them in place. But the ceiling is already mildly low in the bar and I think it would REALLY get claustrophobic in there.

drywall in a finished basement!  you sir are quite fancy!

#31 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54578 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 02:45 PM

drywall in a finished basement!  you sir are quite fancy!

Previous owner did that. It looks fine but any time something needs to be "looked at" whether it be something electrical, cable, etc., it's a hassle.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users