#21 porter

porter

Comptroller of Affairs with Potatoes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19110 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, CO

Posted 14 February 2016 - 10:55 PM

I always just carb it at serving temp. I like low carbonation anyway, so I like to see it evolve. Even when I've quick carbed, it still takes about a week in the fridge for the beer to stabilize and become all it can be. So, I usually plan on a week for the beer to be ready. Though I can't usually stop myself from sampling after the three day mark or so.

#22 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54211 posts

Posted 15 February 2016 - 12:46 PM

Well, it was at ZERO this morning when I got up. I had a meeting and then came back home, grabbed the tank and took it over to the refill place. I checked the tank when I disconnected the regulator and its last hydro test was in February of 2000. Seriously, this thing looks so old... it's like the CO2 tank that Abraham Lincoln had in his "home saloon". They're going to run a test on it and refill it and I can pick it up on Wednesday and then I'll finish carbing this pale ale. Cheers.

#23 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54211 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 08:19 AM

So I'm going today to pick up my newly hydro-tested and refilled tank.  It occurs to me that I have never transported a full 20# tank.  My wife's cousin brought it to my house full and I brought it to the refill place empty.  Can I assume that I can just carefully lay it down on the passenger seat and keep one hand on it to keep it stable for the 10-minute ride home? 

#24 cavman

cavman

Comptroller of BigPossMan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 18 February 2016 - 08:25 AM

Seatbelt and a bungy cord

Edited by cavman, 18 February 2016 - 08:26 AM.

#25 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 18 February 2016 - 08:27 AM

So I'm going today to pick up my newly hydro-tested and refilled tank.  It occurs to me that I have never transported a full 20# tank.  My wife's cousin brought it to my house full and I brought it to the refill place empty.  Can I assume that I can just carefully lay it down on the passenger seat and keep one hand on it to keep it stable for the 10-minute ride home? 

I typically bungie cord it in the trunk (there are tie down points in my car).  I wouldn't want to rely on my arm to keep it from rolling around.

#26 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54211 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 08:45 AM

I was thinking that I would rather have it near me as opposed to in the trunk where it could go anywhere.  But if I left it on the passenger seat I think I could bungee it down so it doesn't go anywhere.

#27 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 18 February 2016 - 08:49 AM

I was thinking that I would rather have it near me as opposed to in the trunk where it could go anywhere.  But if I left it on the passenger seat I think I could bungee it down so it doesn't go anywhere.

I figure I want it far away from me if it does go somewhere :lol:

#28 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 18 February 2016 - 08:52 AM

I set mine on the floor in the back seat.  The way they fit there they won't roll or move.  They do deserve some respect.

#29 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 18 February 2016 - 08:54 AM

I set mine on the floor in the back seat.  The way they fit there they won't roll or move.  They do deserve some respect.

depends on your vehicle I guess.  I think there would be a little more rolling than I'd like.  maybe throw an old blanket or something in there to fill in the space around it.

#30 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54211 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 08:58 AM

I agree on the respect and the backseat idea could be a winner. We're talking Mustang here where the backseat is meant for pets. Small pets. I could adjust the passenger seat and place it on the floor behind there and it would be wedged pretty snug in that spot. If you don't hear from me again... you know what happened.

#31 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 18 February 2016 - 10:03 AM

Strap it in with a seat belt and use a bungie cord to secure the top to the head rest. Wrap it in a towel if you're worried about the seat or it being seen.

#32 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 18 February 2016 - 01:08 PM

Just picked one up today actually during lunch. Put it on the floor in the backseat with a moving blanket.

#33 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54211 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 01:26 PM

Just called over there to make sure it was ready. No. WTF. They said it would be done late Wednesday and could be picked up any time on Thursday. Now it will be ready tomorrow. Good thing I called. Thanks for the advice gang.

#34 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 02:03 PM

Where I go for refills it takes forever to get a hydro test done.  I just let them call me when it's ready.  I don't think it's done on site.  Or I go somewhere else and swap.

#35 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54211 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 02:15 PM

I have 2 options for this:

1. Close by. They do all their own hydro testing onsite. Sometimes I have to wait a day for the refilling of the tank because no one is onsite to fill. Sometimes it's not done when they say it will be done.

2. Farther away. They send the tanks out for hydro testing. Someone is ALWAYS onsite to fill tanks while you wait.

I go to option #1 about 95% of the time because I'm generally not in a hurry.

#36 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 18 February 2016 - 04:20 PM

My local Welsco exchanges my 20lb tanks for $20 and doesn't look at the hydro date.

#37 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 05:18 PM

My local Welsco exchanges my 20lb tanks for $20 and doesn't look at the hydro date.

That's a helluva good deal for an out of date tank.

#38 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 18 February 2016 - 05:29 PM

That's a helluva good deal for an out of date tank.

I know. I need to take both of those tanks I found for $5 each up there and exchange them before that changes.

#39 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54211 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 11:28 AM

Made it home with the tank and I'm still alive. $51.30 for a hydro test and refill of a 20# tank. Probably not the best deal but I shouldn't have to deal with this again for awhile.

#40 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 19 February 2016 - 01:10 PM

Made it home with the tank and I'm still alive. $51.30 for a hydro test and refill of a 20# tank. Probably not the best deal but I shouldn't have to deal with this again for awhile.

Better deal than me. I just paid $52.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users