22 replies to this topic

#21 Slainte

Slainte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 03:34 PM

There are also places online that sell all kinds of extracts in almost every flavor under the sun... almond, vanilla, cinnamon, lemon, watermelon, cherry, raspberry, etc... but the problem there is determining how much to use in 5 gallons. Cheers.

Actually, wouldn't that be a problem with every extract you buy? :) In addition of course, to the main problem of most of them tasting artificial.

#22 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64129 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 23 October 2009 - 04:38 PM

JK: If you decide to do that, I highly recommend the Crosby & Baker blueberry extract as opposed to the LD Carlson. The C&B stuff is dark blue and has a very nice aroma. The LDC stuff is clear (IIRC) and has a very faint, artificial smell to it. There are also places online that sell all kinds of extracts in almost every flavor under the sun... almond, vanilla, cinnamon, lemon, watermelon, cherry, raspberry, etc... but the problem there is determining how much to use in 5 gallons. Cheers.

Thanks for the tip. Very useful. I've only made one fruit beer in my life, it was a blueberry beer, but I used fresh blueberries. It was one of the first beers I ever made. I don't remember much about the recipe except that I used 7 lbs of fresh blueberries in 5 gallons. The blueberry flavor was intense and the color was a deep purple. Almost like the Lindeman's Framboise with a little more purple color in it. Everyone loved it.

#23 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54185 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 07:20 PM

Actually, wouldn't that be a problem with every extract you buy? :) In addition of course, to the main problem of most of them tasting artificial.

Well, at least with the homebrewing varieties, you have a better chance of finding another brewer who has used it and might be able to say "2 oz for a faint fruit flavor, 4 oz for a bigger one". With these extracts online, some of them are ultra concentrated and you'd have to find a way to adjust it. The bottom line on their taste is that LD Carlson extracts are all nasty, period. The Crosby & Baker versions are much better. I also found McCormick natural raspberry extract at the grocery store and it was much better and different than anything else I have tried. It's the stuff that they use to make raspberry brownies & such. Here's a link to some of the extracts they make. I made a beer with the raspberry extract and it was really nice flavor & aroma-wise. They have cinnamon, lemon, orange, strawberry, raspberry but... no blueberry.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users