Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 25 January 2016 - 07:38 AM

Fellas,
Looking to go beyond the PITA swamp cooler and want to DIY a fermentation chamber. At this point I'm considering a 5cuft freezer and controller. Something like that won't crowd the already crowded garage. Other ideas are a wine cooler. I really don't want to buy something and have to modify it or cut part of it to accommodate a carboy etc.. This week I intend on taking my big mouth bubbler over to the store to see how well it fits into a 5cuft. I'm hoping with the 11" diameter of the big mouth 6.5g I can fit two. That would be ideal.

Thoughts on a simple approach and procurement?

#2 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 25 January 2016 - 07:45 AM

hard to beat the ease of setup of some kind of chest freezer or fridge and a temp controller like you said.  Not sure what else to say.

#3 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 07:49 AM

Agreed. I've seen some pretty cool, simple and also elaborate set ups. I always like the DIY approach but I absolutely want to keep this simple and effective. I'd likely caster the freezer to move it around the garage when not in use. Size matters. Can't be too big and cumbersome. But I'd like it to fit two vessels.

How many, how much can you accommodate, assuming you have a chamber of some sort?

#4 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 25 January 2016 - 08:06 AM

my chest freezer is big.  14.x cubic feet I think.  I could pretty easily ferment 25 gallons in there at once (2 red lid fermenters and one standard 5 gallon bucket/carboy.).  I could also probably fit about 10-12 corny kegs in there but I've never tried.  most I've ever had in there is 6 I think.

Edited by Evil_Morty, 25 January 2016 - 08:06 AM.

#5 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 25 January 2016 - 11:15 AM

My chest freezer is small and can only fit one fermenting bucket at a time.  I can hold two corny kegs when I'm lagering.  

Spend the extra money so that you have a chest freezer that can fit two.  Will be the best decision you make.  

If you need to satisfy your DIY urges with this project, the casters would be a good project, but keep in mind you can also put together your own temperature controller.  I know the plans are on here somewhere.

Edited by Deerslyr, 25 January 2016 - 11:15 AM.

#6 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 11:52 AM

Thanks Deerslyr. I'm hoping that with the lesser diameter (11") of the Big Mouth Bubbler's, I can get two in a small chest freezer. That's the plan currently.

If you find those plans, please post them here.

#7 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 25 January 2016 - 11:57 AM

I built my own to accommodate doing 10 gallon batches and not splitting between carboys. If I had to do it again I'd just get a chest freezer. 

#8 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 12:14 PM

I built my own to accommodate doing 10 gallon batches and not splitting between carboys. If I had to do it again I'd just get a chest freezer.

Understood

#9 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 25 January 2016 - 01:24 PM

Thanks Deerslyr. I'm hoping that with the lesser diameter (11") of the Big Mouth Bubbler's, I can get two in a small chest freezer. That's the plan currently.

If you find those plans, please post them here.

Will see if I can find the plans.  You can order all of the parts on Amazon.

#10 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 25 January 2016 - 01:33 PM

Here is the thread where we talked about assembling a controller.  It really shouldn't take you more than an hour.  IIRC, I spent more time cutting the holes in the box than anything.

https://www.brews-br...-3#entry1854955

#11 bigdaddyale

bigdaddyale

Linkbot

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9528 posts
  • LocationCurrent: New Homoco, Texas. Past : Lugner Island

Posted 25 January 2016 - 01:55 PM

https://www.homebrew...ad.php?t=377518

#12 bigdaddyale

bigdaddyale

Linkbot

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9528 posts
  • LocationCurrent: New Homoco, Texas. Past : Lugner Island

Posted 25 January 2016 - 01:57 PM

https://www.homebrew...ad.php?t=464348

you can set up custom fermentation schedules with this set up

httpss://04377c9983bdba740a8b0c997fe97f76c5789b26.googledrive.com/host/0B7OSUyUx3xJzUVlLdkFyQ1lMLTg/hextabbed.html

Edited by bigdaddyale, 25 January 2016 - 02:11 PM.

#13 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 11:47 AM

Thanks for the info. I've seen that chart from Drezz. I just have to get over to a big box store with a couple fermenters to see what will work. I'm pretty much sold on a new chest with controller. That will be simple and clean. 4 casters on the bottom and I can roll it around as needed in the garage.

Fingers crossed that 2 x 6.5 gallon big mouth bottles will fit into a 5cuft.

#14 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 27 January 2016 - 11:50 AM

Thanks for the info. I've seen that chart from Drezz. I just have to get over to a big box store with a couple fermenters to see what will work. I'm pretty much sold on a new chest with controller. That will be simple and clean. 4 casters on the bottom and I can roll it around as needed in the garage.

Fingers crossed that 2 x 6.5 gallon big mouth bottles will fit into a 5cuft.

how will you get the casters on?  do you plan on making a frame of some kind to set the freezer on?

#15 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 27 January 2016 - 11:53 AM

how will you get the casters on?  do you plan on making a frame of some kind to set the freezer on?

Hell just go to harbor freight and buy a couple mover dolly's for $15 ea and call it a day.

#16 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 27 January 2016 - 11:56 AM

Hell just go to harbor freight and buy a couple mover dolly's for $15 ea and call it a day.

I'd probably want to attach them together with a couple of 2x4s or something if possible.  I'd just be a little worried about the freezer sliding off the dollies when I tried to move it.

#17 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 12:06 PM

My line of work affords me the pick of casters and dollies galore. We install material handling machinery. Everything is moved around a facility on dollies. Already getting my scrounge pile started. Definitely affixing the freezer to the casters/dollie configuration.

#18 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 27 January 2016 - 01:19 PM

I attached casters directly to my keggerator... but then I had found specific instructions for my model and knew that I would not be damaging any critical piece of the fridge.  So glad I have them on.

#19 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 01:40 PM

Cut to size 1/2" plywood mounted on top of this httpss://www.newhaven-usa.com/product/11/NH255C-35/SLIP-PRUF-CHICAGO-DOLLY-18x32-w3.5-CASTERS with 4 small L-brackets and tech screws mounting the chest to the plywood. No muss, no fuss.

Edited by Steppedonapoptop, 27 January 2016 - 01:41 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users