No replies to this topic

#1 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54161 posts

Posted 24 January 2016 - 12:21 PM

I think I got part of this idea from a Martha Stewart recipe and it's been modified a little over time. Here's what I did... dice an onion and two cloves of garlic (I used about a tablespoon of prechopped garlic) and sauté it in EVOO (in a pot) over medium heat until soft and transparent. Throw that into a food processor, Ninja, blender or whatever and zip it into a slurry. Add that back to pot with 64 ounces of chicken stock and a jar of whatever salsa you like (I used Frontera Grill Roasted Tomato Salsa). In a pan, I dry roasted a Cubanelli & a Jalapeno pepper until the peppers had some black splotches on them (I picked that up from Rick Bayless). When blistered well, take them out of the pan and set them aside. Also, I took three chicken breasts and marinated them in EVOO, some smoked paprika, cumin and chipotle seasoning and grilled them on the Genesis and let them rest when they were done (I cooked them over direct high heat for 4:30 on each side). Also, I made the roux that Seagis mentioned in the "Soup thickening" thread... 4 tbsp. of butter melted in a pan and enough masa harina to make the roux. That probably only took about 5 minutes once the butter was melted... not hard to do at all. I added the roux to the pot and then chopped up the peppers (feel free to do what you want with seeds and membrane... I cut them away because everyone in the house was going to eat the soup and the kids may not go for the spice). Bring it to a boil, simmer over medium heat for 30 minutes. In the meantime, cut some soft corn tortillas into strips about 2-3" long and brown in EVOO in a pan. I also cut up some avocado. While the soup is simmering, cut up the chicken and when the soup is done, add the chicken to the soup and serve it with the avocado and tortilla strips. A pic...

CTS2.jpg

Thanks for the direction on the thickening... I know some mentioned that tortilla soup didn't need roux but it was just what I was looking for and the flavor contribution from the masa harina was muy bueno. Cheers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users