8 replies to this topic

#1 Humperdink

Humperdink

Cose

• In Memorium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15798 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 01:44 PM

I'm making a honey blonde ale today. I want the honey's aroma to come through, I;ve heard to add it in the last two or so minutes. Anyone have any experience with this?

#2 EWW

EWW

Regular, normal human being

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26211 posts
  • LocationSomewhere special

Posted 26 September 2009 - 05:11 PM

I'm making a honey blonde ale today. I want the honey's aroma to come through, I;ve heard to add it in the last two or so minutes. Anyone have any experience with this?

from my experience you will get more honey aroma/flavor if you add it at the end of primary or in the secondary. Heat tends to be bad for the subtle flavor of honey imo

#3 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 26 September 2009 - 09:00 PM

I brewed a honey brown ale back in the spring. Not sure if you keg your beers but if you do this should work well for you. I added 6oz of honey to the keg and carbonated it after that. It added a nice honey flavor in the background and was well received. I mention the kegging as keeping it cold is important since the residual yeast will eat up the honey if you bottle it and could produce bombs. I posted the technique on the recipe swap for the brown ale awhile back as well.

#4 Iceman

Iceman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 08:22 PM

you can add it at flameout and still get a subtle character from the honey, but if you want a noticeable honey flavor, I'd follow the reccomendations above. It can thin out the beer a bit though.

#5 Humperdink

Humperdink

Cose

• In Memorium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15798 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 12:05 PM

you can add it at flameout and still get a subtle character from the honey, but if you want a noticeable honey flavor, I'd follow the reccomendations above. It can thin out the beer a bit though.

That's great, thanks for the replies all. I did wind up adding it just before flame out and getting the wort to 140 in less than 4 minutes, so hopefully that retained some aroma. i wasn't looking for a huge hhoney presence, more like a hint that you have to look for to find. It's good to know if I don't get any honey from it I can put some in the keg.Thanks again all!

#6 HatTrickBrew

HatTrickBrew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 28 September 2009 - 12:54 PM

For what it's worth, I've made a honey blonde ale several times and have added honey (I believe 1 pound for a 5 gallon batch) with 5 minutes left in the boil. I still get the aroma and definitely the sweetness. I think it turns out great. The last time I added more than I preferred and it came out sweeter, but many of my friends really liked it. Guess it all depends on your taste. :)

#7 JReigle

JReigle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationSan Leandro, CA

Posted 28 September 2009 - 01:16 PM

+1 on the add it later suggestions. In my experience, I've never detected honey character in a brew unless it was added after primary. YMMV

#8 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 01:58 PM

honey malt is supposed to have a honey taste so perhaps using some of this would accentuate the honey you'll be adding in.

#9 Humperdink

Humperdink

Cose

• In Memorium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15798 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 09:57 AM

FYI, honey makes for an explosive fermentation. I had blowoff at 63F. i pitched a yeast slurry at 57F. Impressive and a little scary at the same time

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users