#1 Brian72

Brian72

Peter Freer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42139 posts
  • LocationYour mom

Posted 25 September 2009 - 10:05 PM

This is my second AG Stout and it's a failure. If I brew extract I'm ok. I just dont get it, all my other AG brews come out fantastic. Is it something about the stout style that I'm missing?

#2 cavman

cavman

Comptroller of BigPossMan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 25 September 2009 - 10:14 PM

This is my second AG Stout and it's a failure. If I brew extract I'm ok. I just dont get it, all my other AG brews come out fantastic. Is it something about the stout style that I'm missing?

More info would help; IE what's wrong, recipe, pic off Red's ass, etc. C'mon Bri help ME help you. :wub:

#3 Brian72

Brian72

Peter Freer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42139 posts
  • LocationYour mom

Posted 25 September 2009 - 10:19 PM

More info would help; IE what's wrong, recipe, pic off Red's ass, etc. C'mon Bri help ME help you. :wub:

It's not good, yo! Got that same burnt rubber taste the last AG stout had. I know it's not my sanitation so I'm not sure what else it could be.

#4 CarlosM

CarlosM

Señor Joykill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12344 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 25 September 2009 - 11:31 PM

It's not good, yo! Got that same burnt rubber taste the last AG stout had. I know it's not my sanitation so I'm not sure what else it could be.

recipe?

#5 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48103 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 26 September 2009 - 12:28 AM

I said something similar to zymological today...I also couldn't brew a decent AG stout until recently. For me it was the water. I have really hard water and assumed it was hard enough to make a stout. However, once I sent a sample to Ward and put the results into Palmer's spreadsheet, it turns out that even though I have over 300 TDS I don't have enough residual alkalinity to brew a good stout. Oh, it always converted fine, but it had a harsh roastiness - you could say burnt rubber - that was unpleasant. I think that although the pH was close enough for conversion, it was too acidic, and that the added acidity carried through to the finished beer and didn't play well with the roast flavor at all.I recently made my first AG stout in years, but this time I added enough chalk to get to the 300ish range of RA. (My water by itself is only 180 RA.) The difference was huge; this is a good beer. It's on tap now and quite drinkable. My friend and I did a side-by-side taste test today with it and Guiness draft from the widget can. We both agreed that mine was tastier. Most importantly, though, that harsh roastiness is completely gone.So anyway, it might be your water.

#6 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 03:44 AM

I said something similar to zymological today...I also couldn't brew a decent AG stout until recently. For me it was the water. I have really hard water and assumed it was hard enough to make a stout. However, once I sent a sample to Ward and put the results into Palmer's spreadsheet, it turns out that even though I have over 300 TDS I don't have enough residual alkalinity to brew a good stout. Oh, it always converted fine, but it had a harsh roastiness - you could say burnt rubber - that was unpleasant. I think that although the pH was close enough for conversion, it was too acidic, and that the added acidity carried through to the finished beer and didn't play well with the roast flavor at all.I recently made my first AG stout in years, but this time I added enough chalk to get to the 300ish range of RA. (My water by itself is only 180 RA.) The difference was huge; this is a good beer. It's on tap now and quite drinkable. My friend and I did a side-by-side taste test today with it and Guiness draft from the widget can. We both agreed that mine was tastier. Most importantly, though, that harsh roastiness is completely gone.So anyway, it might be your water.

Check this out - so I'm working on a recipe for an oatmeal stout and the predicted SRM is about 46. That means I need to get my RA to around 465 if I want to hit the middle of the range.In order to pull this off I need to add 15.3g of chalk and 5.5g of baking soda. (bolded for emphasis)So my adjusted mash chemistry looks like this now:Calcium (ppm): 421Magnesium (ppm): 3Alkaliniity as CaCO3: 753Sodium (ppm): 131Chloride (ppm): 28Sulfate (ppm): 16Effective Hardness: 302RA as CaCO3: 450Low to High SRM: 42-47Chloride to Sulfate Ratio: MaltyNow it seems like I'm having to add a pretty ridiculous amount of chalk and baking soda here so I wanted to make sure none of the levels in my adjusted mash too high.

#7 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64186 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 26 September 2009 - 05:39 AM

Palmer recommends keeping RA below 300, no matter what the color. The problem with his spreadsheet/nomograph is that it assumes a fairly linear decrease in pH with color. It's not linear, eventually it plateaus. During the BN Waterganza he said that even if you did a mash of 100% roasted grain the pH still won't be below about 4.5. Adding more roasted grains isn't like adding straight acid to the mash, it's more like adding an acidic buffer.

Edited by JKoravos, 26 September 2009 - 05:39 AM.

#8 Brian72

Brian72

Peter Freer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42139 posts
  • LocationYour mom

Posted 26 September 2009 - 08:35 AM

Thanks for the info, George. I will look into that. What I dont get though is if I brew a stout extract kit they always tuen out just fine. I think I'll so ahead a transfer this to secondary and see what, if anything happens to it. Maybe it will get better with age or maybe it will just turn out to be a good candidate for the drain.

#9 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9093 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 26 September 2009 - 09:09 AM

What I dont get though is if I brew a stout extract kit they always tuen out just fine.

Which is because you're not mashing. The extract is made with the proper pH so that carries over when you use it.

#10 Brian72

Brian72

Peter Freer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42139 posts
  • LocationYour mom

Posted 26 September 2009 - 09:30 AM

Which is because you're not mashing. The extract is made with the proper pH so that carries over when you use it.

Ah, ok. That makes sense. I never thought of that...

#11 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48103 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 26 September 2009 - 10:20 AM

Palmer recommends keeping RA below 300, no matter what the color. The problem with his spreadsheet/nomograph is that it assumes a fairly linear decrease in pH with color. It's not linear, eventually it plateaus. During the BN Waterganza he said that even if you did a mash of 100% roasted grain the pH still won't be below about 4.5. Adding more roasted grains isn't like adding straight acid to the mash, it's more like adding an acidic buffer.

Yeah, this. I don't adjust above 300, either.Just how soft IS your water, zymn?

#12 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 04:13 AM

Yeah, this. I don't adjust above 300, either.Just how soft IS your water, zymn?

Calcium Hardness: 6.2 ppmMagnesium: 3 ppmAlkalinity as CaCO3: 24Sodium: 29 ppmChloride: 28 ppmSulfate: 16 ppmWater pH: 7.81So I was totally unaware of the 300 RA limit. So if I'm brewing something dark enough I should just bring the RA up to 300 and stop there or should I actually shoot for a little under 300 to be safe?

#13 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48103 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 27 September 2009 - 10:16 AM

I make whatever I want, I just bring RA up to 300 and stop.

#14 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25691 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 27 September 2009 - 10:20 AM

Wouldn't FiveStar 5.2 pH buffer make all this a moot point unles your water is way-way of of whack?

#15 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 10:24 AM

Wouldn't FiveStar 5.2 pH buffer make all this a moot point unles your water is way-way of of whack?

maybe but I was looking to avoid using this since I can't see any valid reason why my water + mash additions wouldn't allow me to brew whatever I wanted anyway.

#16 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48103 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 27 September 2009 - 10:36 AM

I've had very bad luck with stouts and 5.2. Essentially, it didn't change anything: Still full conversion, but acrid taste. I think it's intended mostly to let you brew beers that are lighter than your water would otherwise allow.

#17 Slainte

Slainte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 10:38 AM

When I used to use it, I started to notice a slight mineral-y taste in some of my less intensely flavored beers. So I stopped using it. I don't think I ever used it in a stout, but one of my friends did and he still made "dirty" stouts regardless. He doesn't use it anymore either.Besides, it's real easy to just read pH, and adjust it to the proper range.

#18 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 10:55 AM

I make whatever I want, I just bring RA up to 300 and stop.

To give you an idea I need to add 7.2g of chalk and 4.4g of baking soda to put me up to just below 300 RA.

#19 xd_haze

xd_haze

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MO

Posted 28 September 2009 - 09:05 PM

I've had very bad luck with stouts and 5.2. Essentially, it didn't change anything: Still full conversion, but acrid taste. I think it's intended mostly to let you brew beers that are lighter than your water would otherwise allow.

I think it is going to depend on your water. 5.2 fixed my stouts -- I had the same problem many of you describe. But I think I was just barely out of range. 5.2 is a must if I want to brew a light colored beer without using load of DI water. I think I'm right in the midrange (i'd have to hunt down my water report). Stouts were so so without 5.2, but increased quality dramatically with 5.2. I imagine that if your are further out of range, then 5.2 wouldn't cut it. I use 5.2 by default these days. My water is inconsistent, and it makes mineral additions guesswork.mike

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users