#1 Winkydowbrewing

Winkydowbrewing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationWorcester, MA

Posted 25 September 2009 - 11:56 AM

I am tired of 60% efficiency. I have been adjusting my mill and i feel like I am pretty close to powder. I understand that I could probably keep going, but a stuck sparge drives me nuts and I would like to be able to avoid using rice hulls. I have a crankandstein with 2 rollers, does anyone have an actual measurment on the gap that works well without getting a stuck sparge or is this a scenario where I am better off with trial and error?

#2 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 11:59 AM

I am tired of 60% efficiency. I have been adjusting my mill and i feel like I am pretty close to powder. I understand that I could probably keep going, but a stuck sparge drives me nuts and I would like to be able to avoid using rice hulls. I have a crankandstein with 2 rollers, does anyone have an actual measurment on the gap that works well without getting a stuck sparge or is this a scenario where I am better off with trial and error?

If you are already pretty close to powder I'd say you've gone far enough. I'd guess your efficiency issues lie somewhere else...

#3 jammer

jammer

Atomic Chef Runner-Up

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3484 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 25 September 2009 - 12:25 PM

If you are already pretty close to powder I'd say you've gone far enough. I'd guess your efficiency issues lie somewhere else...

+1.I get at LEAST 75% and last batch got 87% and I have the LHBS crush my grains. Look elsewhere. Good luck. :wub:

#4 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64187 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 25 September 2009 - 01:50 PM

.039" is around what you should be at.

#5 Winkydowbrewing

Winkydowbrewing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationWorcester, MA

Posted 25 September 2009 - 02:30 PM

Thanks guys. I think this sunday I am going to try and close the gap even more and at least there will be no doubt its the crush...any other substitutes if I do get a stuck sparge if I have no rice hulls and cant make it to the LHBS? Could I throw in some whole barley if needed?

#6 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64187 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 25 September 2009 - 02:41 PM

Thanks guys. I think this sunday I am going to try and close the gap even more and at least there will be no doubt its the crush...any other substitutes if I do get a stuck sparge if I have no rice hulls and cant make it to the LHBS? Could I throw in some whole barley if needed?

Have you checked the gap? If it's significantly less than .039, then you're just headed in the wrong direction. Do you have a feeler gauge?

#7 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 25 September 2009 - 02:45 PM

Have you checked the gap? If it's significantly less than .039, then you're just headed in the wrong direction. Do you have a feeler gauge?

Mine's (JSP) been at .025" for a long time. Of course roller speed and how grain is fed make a big difference.

#8 Winkydowbrewing

Winkydowbrewing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationWorcester, MA

Posted 25 September 2009 - 03:30 PM

I havent checked with a feeler gauge yet, but I do have some and will verify the exact gap. The speed is the next culprit (mill wise) I can think of, I finally have a better drill to slow down the speed which might let the rollers chew on the grain a bit more, but all things aside the texture from a visual standpoint and from holding in my hand feels like the grain is pretty crushed up, but I am not one for making assumptions so I will check with a feeler gauge and see how I make out.

#9 consumptionjunction

consumptionjunction

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • LocationMiami

Posted 25 September 2009 - 03:38 PM

That's what I was thinking...

#10 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10761 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 25 September 2009 - 03:49 PM

Do you know anyone near you that brews all grain? Consider crushing grains for him and having him crush grains for you. From the above I think you are already crushing small enough. The next item I would consider is the temp of your mash. Temps can vary from top to bottom of the mash and you also want to make sure your thermometer is calibrated. Make sure you stir well and have no dough balls. The grain can't convert if it is not in contact with water. If you fly sparge, maybe try batch to see if you get a difference. Maybe your tun is not configured well for fly sparging. Good luck

#11 beach

beach

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1160 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 26 September 2009 - 04:37 AM

Are you keeping your mash pH in line? pH will effect efficiency as well.

#12 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 05:07 AM

Are you keeping your mash pH in line? pH will effect efficiency as well.

it certainly would.

#13 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64187 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 26 September 2009 - 05:28 AM

Mine's (JSP) been at .025" for a long time. Of course roller speed and how grain is fed make a big difference.

OMG, what the hell are you doing!!! OK, so maybe it doesn't have to be exactly 0.039". :wub: It's very true that roller speed/feeding also make a difference, though, unless your mill is motorized that's a little tough to control.

I havent checked with a feeler gauge yet, but I do have some and will verify the exact gap. The speed is the next culprit (mill wise) I can think of, I finally have a better drill to slow down the speed which might let the rollers chew on the grain a bit more, but all things aside the texture from a visual standpoint and from holding in my hand feels like the grain is pretty crushed up, but I am not one for making assumptions so I will check with a feeler gauge and see how I make out.

If you don't mind making the trip up to Leominster you're welcome to swing by to do a comparison with my mill. I'm getting 80-90% efficiency with my crush, so at least you'd have something you know is decent to compare it to.

#14 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 27 September 2009 - 05:38 AM

Like others, I would recommend two things besides the crush: temperature and water profile.I would get a couple extra thermometers and check your current ones. Temperature has a significant influence on the enzymes that convert the starches into fermentable sugars.Your water profile could give the wrong pH range for the enzymes to work properly. The way I would recommend to check this is to begin with RO or distilled water, and add back the salts necessary for the type of beer you are brewing. This will ensure that you have the right pH for the mash, as well as the correct flavor profile for your water. You can get ranges for the ions/salts from the internet, or Palmer's How to Brew.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users