13 replies to this topic

#1 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 11:24 AM

5 gallon batchGRAINS/MASH:7lbs Maris Otter0.75lbs Caramunich0.5lbs Chocolate Malt0.25lbs Crystal 120L0.5lbs Roasted Barley1lbs Munich Malt1.5lbs Flaked Oats0.5lbs Coffee Malt0.5lbs CarapilsMash around 153, boil for 90 minsHOPS:1.5oz EKG 60 min2oz EKG 30 min2oz Williamette 2 minYEAST:Nottingham Dry (interested to hear people's thoughts on this)So the differences from QS stout: I used a little less of a slightly darker crystal (b/c that's what I have). I replaced the black patent with coffee malt. I replaced the 60min fuggles with EKG (again b/c that's what I have). I'm using NOttingham Dry yeast instead of WL Irish Stout.

#2 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 25 September 2009 - 01:49 PM

Looks good to me. I have an Oatmeal Stout on tap now - loosely based on QS. No fuggles here either. I do like the BP in it though, coffee ought to suffice though. I know nothing about Nottingham except it's a dry yeast that has been sitting on my shelf for over 4 years.......

Edited by dj in kc, 25 September 2009 - 01:49 PM.

#3 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 03:15 PM

Looks good to me. I have an Oatmeal Stout on tap now - loosely based on QS. No fuggles here either. I do like the BP in it though, coffee ought to suffice though. I know nothing about Nottingham except it's a dry yeast that has been sitting on my shelf for over 4 years.......

nottingham is pretty neutral but slightly on the english side. I used it in my 3rd ever beer (an extract batch - oatmeal stout) that was one of my most well liked stouts to date.

#4 stellarbrew

stellarbrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationAcworth, GA

Posted 25 September 2009 - 04:43 PM

To my taste, the Nottingham yeast makes a marvelous stout. If you want to minimize the English character, you can ferment real cool with this yeast, like around 60F, and it ferments very clean.Your recipe looks tasty.

#5 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 25 September 2009 - 05:09 PM

nottingham is pretty neutral but slightly on the english side...

Yeah, I knew that :wub: Still think it's funny that I let it sit so long that I don't want to even try it know. Never have used that yeast.

#6 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 05:08 AM

Yeah, I knew that :wub: Still think it's funny that I let it sit so long that I don't want to even try it know. Never have used that yeast.

it's good to keep around for backup situations - unless you've kept it refrigerated I would toss it though after this long. Even in the fridge I wouldn't use it in any big beers at this point.

#7 drewseslu

drewseslu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 26 September 2009 - 01:55 PM

I would lose the CaraPils and add some more munich...

#8 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 04:15 AM

I would lose the CaraPils and add some more munich...

Under other conditions I might agree but: 1. The original QS Stout calls for it and 2. I have a lifetimes supply of carapils due to an order mistake on this years New England area group buy so I'm always looking to throw some in

#9 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64101 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 27 September 2009 - 07:34 PM

I have 3 lifetime supplies of CarPils.Who is the coffee malt from? I'm not familiar with that one.

#10 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 03:25 AM

I have 3 lifetime supplies of CarPils. Who is the coffee malt from? I'm not familiar with that one.

Austin HB

#11 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64101 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 28 September 2009 - 03:16 PM

Austin HB

I like the looks of that. I've always wanted to make a coffee stout.

#12 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 28 September 2009 - 03:52 PM

I like the recipe and I in fact have my Oatmeal Stout fermenting away that I brewed this past Thurs night. I intended to brew mine with Coffee malt from Simpson's. I called the LHBS and asked if they still had some and told them what I had planned, they said the Simp Coffee malt adds more Choc flavor and not as much Coffee hints. I was going to go that way since last year I brewed an American Stout and added coffee to the secondary. I will see how mine turns out but I will have to add coffee to the secondary at some point if I do end up making mine a Coffee Oatmeal Stout. Matter of fact Simpson's list their coffee malt as Brown Malt as well. Anyways just wanted to share what I had learned and how I did mine. Hope the recipe turns out great!!

#13 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 04:07 PM

I like the recipe and I in fact have my Oatmeal Stout fermenting away that I brewed this past Thurs night. I intended to brew mine with Coffee malt from Simpson's. I called the LHBS and asked if they still had some and told them what I had planned, they said the Simp Coffee malt adds more Choc flavor and not as much Coffee hints. I was going to go that way since last year I brewed an American Stout and added coffee to the secondary. I will see how mine turns out but I will have to add coffee to the secondary at some point if I do end up making mine a Coffee Oatmeal Stout. Matter of fact Simpson's list their coffee malt as Brown Malt as well. Anyways just wanted to share what I had learned and how I did mine. Hope the recipe turns out great!!

I'm not really expecting big coffee flavor - a mild hint of coffee will be good enough for me. I think if you want a lot of coffee taste you have to do what you are saying and add actual coffee. I bet using this in conjunction would be nice though.

#14 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 28 September 2009 - 05:27 PM

I'm not really expecting big coffee flavor - a mild hint of coffee will be good enough for me. I think if you want a lot of coffee taste you have to do what you are saying and add actual coffee. I bet using this in conjunction would be nice though.

Let me know how it turns out. I am sure I will brew another batch and will be interested to hear your impressions so I can know better what to expect. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users