5 replies to this topic

#1 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 03:16 AM

Since I don't have a scale sensitive enough to measure out grams I have attempted to convert my mash additions to teaspoons. I was hoping someone could verify that my conversions are approximately accurate:1tsp Chalk = 1.8g1tsp Gypsum = 4g1tsp Calcium Chloride = 3.4g1tsp Epsom Salt = 4.5g1tsp Baking Soda = 4.4g

#2 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64141 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 25 September 2009 - 07:03 AM

Tough to say. It's highly dependent on packing efficiency. If you're regularly going to do salt additions, you should definitely get a more sensitive scale.Looks like you used Palmer's recommendations, which is probably about as good as you'll do. IME using volume to measure solids will give you as much as +/-20% in your expected mass.

#3 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 07:05 AM

If you're regularly going to do salt additions, you should definitely get a more sensitive scale.

noooooo - not more money! :cheers:edit: if anyone throws out any more scales at your work I'll take it off your hands for a small finders fee :cheers:

#4 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64141 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 25 September 2009 - 07:16 AM

I think a lot of people use jewelry scales. You can get them on ebay for like $15.

#5 jammer

jammer

Atomic Chef Runner-Up

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3484 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 25 September 2009 - 07:22 AM

noooooo - not more money! :unsure:edit: if anyone throws out any more scales at your work I'll take it off your hands for a small finders fee :wub:

I have a spare digital grain/jewelry scale lying around that i dont use. I believe its made in China, so its nothing high dollar, but it works. PM me your addy and ill send it to you. I have one similar to it that i use to weigh hops. I just put a small tupperware on it, Tare and weigh what i need.

#6 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 07:25 AM

I have a spare digital grain/jewelry scale lying around that i dont use. I believe its made in China, so its nothing high dollar, but it works. PM me your addy and ill send it to you. I have one similar to it that i use to weigh hops. I just put a small tupperware on it, Tare and weigh what i need.

yessir :wub:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users