Photo
- - - - -

Master Brewers/Brewing Gurus

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
50 replies to this topic

Poll: First Question (0 member(s) have cast votes)

Is this even a good idea?

1. Yes (24 votes [54.55%])

Percentage of vote: 54.55%

2. No (20 votes [45.45%])

Percentage of vote: 45.45%

Vote

#21 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 07 April 2009 - 03:43 PM

I'm not one given to titles much.On the surface, it seems somewhat harmeless, (did each of the Mods get their 6 pack of beer I sent?).I think you are asking to put off some people because they "didn't make the grade" while others who post here a lot are still doing beer on their Mr. Beer systems, (I'm looking at you, Lou).Seems like you are asking for work that doesn't need to be done.

That may be the case, which is why we're asking first instead of just hauling off and doing it. We certainly don't want to offend anybody for not making the grade. However, there's also the possibility that it will motivate those people rather than putting them off.

#22 *_Guest_Blktre_*

*_Guest_Blktre_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2009 - 03:44 PM

Since i paid my 5 bucks, i deserve to be a Master Brewer. :blush: Even tho someone is a MB, doesn't necessarily make them know every single thing about brewing. Brewers have their strong points. So hopefully that once classified as a MB, you only make posts about topics your good at. That's the thing w/folks here. So much knowledge to draw from. I too am curious how one would be classified as a MB or BG. And, now w/the PH counting towards post counts, then that's definably something not to go by to designate good brewers.

#23 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 07 April 2009 - 03:48 PM

I too am curious how one would be classified as a MB or BG.

So are we. :blush:I'm thinking we establish a tasting panel and have each MB candidate submit 2-3 beers for consideration. If they want to use $20 bills for packing material, then so much the better.

#24 *_Guest_Blktre_*

*_Guest_Blktre_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2009 - 04:11 PM

So are we. :blush:I'm thinking we establish a tasting panel and have each MB candidate submit 2-3 beers for consideration. If they want to use $20 bills for packing material, then so much the better.

We have tasted enuff of each others beers to get an idea. But i see the Mod's do indeed have an agenda <_<

#25 *_Guest_BigBossMan_*

*_Guest_BigBossMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2009 - 04:15 PM

How about titles for those who have won large homebrewing competitions? i.e. Award Winning BrewerAlso, Professional Brewer for those among us like BrewBasser.

#26 Trub L

Trub L

Hooked on a Feelin

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 112413 posts
  • LocationIn the Middle

Posted 07 April 2009 - 04:16 PM

As mentioned today, since we just started up this forum, everybody has lost their old post counts. We've been talking about this in the Mod Corner as well since post counts gave a certain "credibility" or weight to beer posts from long-established users. We had the idea of identifying the good brewers and giving them a title like "Master Brewer" or "Brew Guru" that's NOT based on post count. That way when we start getting new visitors, they will know whose advice has a better chance of being more trustworthy.So first of all, do you think this is a good idea? That's the poll above. I'll leave this poll active for about 3 days to gather votes and go forward from there.Comments are welcome.

It's a good idea. I will volunteer to be "Supreme Overlord of all things Brewing"

#27 *_Guest_BigBossMan_*

*_Guest_BigBossMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2009 - 04:18 PM

It's a good idea. I will volunteer to be "Supreme Overlord of all things Effeminate"

ftfy

#28 Mudd

Mudd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationSouth Central Illinois

Posted 07 April 2009 - 04:24 PM

I don't think it is that easy for a new brewer to spot a stupid answer.Many times the conflicting anwers left me more confused than when I posted..Does this software have any way for the OP to rate the answers?EDIT: Spellink agin.

Edited by Mudd, 07 April 2009 - 04:25 PM.

#29 Trub L

Trub L

Hooked on a Feelin

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 112413 posts
  • LocationIn the Middle

Posted 07 April 2009 - 04:28 PM

ftfy

Careful, or I might let slip your little secret about how you heart McNuggets. :blush:

#30 *_Guest_BigBossMan_*

*_Guest_BigBossMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2009 - 04:30 PM

Careful, or I might let slip your little secret about how you heart McNuggets. :blush:

Are they full and round enough for you?

#31 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 07 April 2009 - 04:33 PM

As mentioned today, since we just started up this forum, everybody has lost their old post counts. We've been talking about this in the Mod Corner as well since post counts gave a certain "credibility" or weight to beer posts from long-established users. We had the idea of identifying the good brewers and giving them a title like "Master Brewer" or "Brew Guru" that's NOT based on post count. That way when we start getting new visitors, they will know whose advice has a better chance of being more trustworthy.So first of all, do you think this is a good idea? That's the poll above. I'll leave this poll active for about 3 days to gather votes and go forward from there.Comments are welcome.

This is biased against Herr Hiller and myself!!! :cussing: Just kidding. It's too bad we just can't migrate our GB Count over. Geez George, haven't you realized that it was your count "enhanced" the quality of your comments? Seriously, I was more likely to pay closer attention to a post from someone like you or Ken Lenard or some of the other "regulars" when I first migrated over there from Yahoo.But... I'll go ahaead and vote yes for now. But perhaps we could move towards "nominations" and voting (serious voting I mean) for levels of Master and Guru. And maybe limit the voting to those who have paid. Initially, voting could be done every other week until there is a good base. And if there are no nominations or no one worthy, then no one gets elevated. And a certain percentage of yes votes would have to be attained to gain the ranking. I'm thinking something along the lines of how they vote at Cooperstown. Remember, there was a recent year where the only inductees were from the old Negro League. For whatever reason, no one from MLB was deemed "worthy" that year. (It's not like we are going to induct Michael Jackson as a guru since he is no longer with us.) Hope the ramblings make sense.

#32 *_Guest_Blktre_*

*_Guest_Blktre_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2009 - 04:45 PM

We can always have brewers do the FAQ and Tips and Tricks again....

#33 dagomike

dagomike

Comptroller of CrapPapples

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19263 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 05:03 PM

Everyone has something to learn and everyone slips up. I don't really see this as a badge of authority in all things brewing. I just see it more of a recognition you contribute quality content to the community, particularly over time. Great incentive for people to post their topics here, and hang around to help.

#34 wengared

wengared

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 05:11 PM

why don't you create a brewing test, the ones with the highest scores get the name. give them a ranking number.

#35 ScottS

ScottS

Lord and Master

• King of the Chickens
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17487 posts
  • LocationMy lawn

Posted 07 April 2009 - 05:17 PM

why don't you create a brewing test, the ones with the highest scores get the name. give them a ranking number.

Already been proposed. I think it's an excellent idea.

I'm thinking we establish a tasting panel and have each MB candidate submit 2-3 beers for consideration. If they want to use $20 bills for packing material, then so much the better.

#36 realbeerguy

realbeerguy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1974 posts
  • LocationBluffton, SC

Posted 07 April 2009 - 05:50 PM

While I think that the ability for a newbie to know who's advice to trust is a good idea, I think that before too long, there will be enough history on the new board for folks to figure out who really knows what they're talking about. Rather than any rating/scoring system, which could always be subject to abuse and/or cause disagreements with other members, I think it would be OK for the near term just to let the posting history build, and speak for itself.Maybe I'm in the minority with this opinion, but in my experience it was generally pretty obvious who knew what they were talking about and who was spouting crap, on the green board as well as other forums. We'll be there in very short order, and until the post counts speak for themselves we can always just reinforce good recommendations with an occasional "I agree with that," or "Hightest is a mead geek of the highest order," or the like. :cussing:

I've got to line up with Wayne. If you spend time on a board you will know, based on the quality of their posts, if they know their stuff or not. The cream will rise to the top. Example: I did not know of Hightest, but but only by those who quoted him. One or two posts by him on this board valiates his stature with me. I don't think there is a way other than by the administrators deeming him to be a "Brew", "Mead" or "Cider" maven. Some of us have won BOS or multiple awards, but that s not what the forum is about. It's about an exchange of ideas. And as we all know there is more than one way to sparge.

#37 LBG Bill

LBG Bill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 07 April 2009 - 06:36 PM

In case you missed it in the news forum, PH posts now count toward total post count.

I voted No.as someone that knows the basics about brewing in comparison to many on this board, I have to be honest, I don't look at the post count for users unless they are posting a link to equipment or such. I agree with the others that said that the counts will come in time. I already have a good idea of who knows their stuff just from lurking on the GB all those years.As for having the PH posts count, that doesn't seem to make much sense to me. The PH is for, to quote MtnBrewer, "asshattery" and the like. I could spend all my time in the PH posting questions like "which Alien movie do you think is the best" and that would count towards my ability to brew. Sorry, but IMO, it shouldn't count towards your brewing knowledge and skill, it only shows that you hang out here.(btw, Alien 2 was the best, and AVP was pretty damn good too, 3 and 4 sucked donkey hoohoo.)

#38 *_Guest_BigBossMan_*

*_Guest_BigBossMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2009 - 06:38 PM

(btw, Alien 2 was the best, and AVP was pretty damn good too, 3 and 4 sucked donkey hoohoo.)

+1Now get over to the PH and pick up your hat.

#39 Bearphin

Bearphin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationWest of Atlanta

Posted 07 April 2009 - 07:13 PM

I voted no fo rthe simple fact that there is somewhat of a division among the home brewing nation - those who are all grain brewers and those who are mini mash and extract brewers.I have seen over the years a tendency from some of the all grain people to look down on the people who use extract. So my question would be, would a master brewer be able to answer good questions about an extract brew when they haven't done one in years??One possibility would be to designate a "master of" awards. That way a newbie would know who to talk to about certain specific topics, be it brewing method, specific styles, special methods and practices, etc.If our goal is to establish who newbies can trust for answers, I think this would be far more beneficial than who is the most gregarious on the forums and PH.

#40 EWW

EWW

Regular, normal human being

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26231 posts
  • LocationSomewhere special

Posted 07 April 2009 - 07:30 PM

I voted yes, but I have a slightly different take on it. Instead of awarding a general title, give people specific titles that for their knowledge base (as seen appropriate by the mods). As everyone knows, hightest is great at making meads and should be given a mead specific title whereas Ken is great at crowd recipe formulation but may not be a master of meads and retodd is the king of asshatery, etc... everyones positive qualities should be noted if they are really good at what they do (btw this does not mean that everyone should have a title). This is probably too much work, but would provide noobs good knowledge about who to trust about what.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users