#1 Thirsty

Thirsty

Atomic Chef!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts
  • LocationPhippsburg Maine

Posted 22 September 2009 - 11:57 AM

Home Depot dosnt carry stainless, so I went to a local hardware store and 5/8" stainless nuts were $6 a piece, and bolts were over $10! I figured I would need at least 2 nuts, and I didnt feel like coughing upo that kind of jing. I just put 2 oz into a keg of BW, and I want to sink it. I am also planning a huge impy IPA and doing 2 seperate additions of 4 oz each. So my buddy is a plumber and has all the brass I want, but no stainless. Will brass be OK submerged in beer?

#2 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 12:00 PM

Home Depot dosnt carry stainless, so I went to a local hardware store and 5/8" stainless nuts were $6 a piece, and bolts were over $10! I figured I would need at least 2 nuts, and I didnt feel like coughing upo that kind of jing. I just put 2 oz into a keg of BW, and I want to sink it. I am also planning a huge impy IPA and doing 2 seperate additions of 4 oz each. So my buddy is a plumber and has all the brass I want, but no stainless. Will brass be OK submerged in beer?

Parts of the valve on my mash tun are brass but they only touch the beer as it drains. I'm not sure if this is actually an issue or not...

#3 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 22 September 2009 - 12:03 PM

I used to weight the bag with sanitized marbles. Now I don't bother. Because, well....I lost my marbles... just hops - it works fine.

#4 Patrick C.

Patrick C.

Comproller of Toilet Tank Vodka

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8906 posts
  • LocationAcworth GA

Posted 22 September 2009 - 12:08 PM

Brass will eventually corrode. You can pickle it to get rid of the surface lead, but the copper will tarnish in beer over an extended time. Not sure if you'll taste it or not, but there are cheaper and easier alternatives. Use glass or stainless that you already have- marbles, a shot glass, or a spoon will do the trick and are probably sitting in your kitchen waiting to sink those hops.

#5 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 22 September 2009 - 12:10 PM

It is absolutely not necessary to weight a hop bag....save yourself the time and effort. It gains you nothing.

#6 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 12:11 PM

I'd take the advice of the above posters. It sounds like leaving brass in the beer for a long time isn't a good idea.

#7 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48023 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 22 September 2009 - 12:47 PM

Brass is fine before fermenation. Once the yeast gets going, no brass.

#8 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 01:18 PM

Brass is fine before fermenation. Once the yeast gets going, no brass.

alcohol + brass = bad?

#9 Thirsty

Thirsty

Atomic Chef!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 01:27 PM

It is absolutely not necessary to weight a hop bag....save yourself the time and effort. It gains you nothing.

Denny, I think that is the best response I could have gotten.

#10 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48023 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 22 September 2009 - 01:52 PM

alcohol + brass = bad?

One of the first things the yeast do is lower the pH to fight other invaders. The lower pH makes the brass corrode.

#11 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64143 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 22 September 2009 - 04:39 PM

Yup, avoid brass once it's beer.What the hell kind of hardware store was charging $6 for a stainless steel nut?

#12 Thirsty

Thirsty

Atomic Chef!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 04:53 PM

What the hell kind of hardware store was charging $6 for a stainless steel nut?

Rocky's. The HD dosnt have the SS, so I went to Rockys, needed some 02 anyhow, a backup bottle JIC my active one kicks, so the trip wasnt wasted, but unfreakinbelievably expensive. $10.68 just for a 5/8" bolt! I'm taking Dennys word, too much experience to know he has experimented with sinking or floating, done deal.

#13 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 22 September 2009 - 09:01 PM

Will it eventually get saturated enough and sink on its own anyways, is that why?

#14 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 23 September 2009 - 09:17 AM

Will it eventually get saturated enough and sink on its own anyways, is that why?

Yep. And even if they don't sink, there's still plenty of "goodness extraction"! Believe me, I've tried it both ways and if weighting worked better, I'd be doing it! I'd be curious to hear if anyone else has ever compared the 2 methods.

#15 Thirsty

Thirsty

Atomic Chef!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 12:15 PM

I am thinking as long as beer contacts the hops, the oils will be stripped and dissolved, dosnt matter where in the keg this happens. After I pull the sack out, I am going to hook it up to 30psi and roll it around my garage anyhow. My initial concern was saturation, however I think that in a week's time, the beer will eventually soak upwards through the hops and make contact, sinking really is moot. Thinking about it now, I have never pullrd a sack out of keg or fermenter that was dry in any place, so it is reasonable. So in retrospect I am glad I posted, I will be skipping the brass, SS, and the marbles.

#16 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 23 September 2009 - 01:47 PM

Yea, I just go commando with my hops. It might get a little more cloudy, but it's much easier!

#17 KSUwildcatFAN

KSUwildcatFAN

Comptroller of ChopSticks & Ghey Bach Chow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9180 posts
  • LocationKC Area

Posted 24 September 2009 - 07:18 AM

If you choose to weigh it down, why not just a clean rock? Assuming you wouldn't use limestone or the like.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users