8 replies to this topic

#1 wengared

wengared

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 04:45 AM

I know there are brewers who are agains't using enamalware for brewpots if any of the paint is chipped, i've got a 11 gallon gray enamelware with a spot about the size of dime in the bottom, can some one explain if or what it will do to the wort., if i repair it with enamel/porcilin repair is it good to go?

#2 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 22 September 2009 - 06:37 AM

I wouldn't risk it. Supposedly iron will leach and you'll get a metallic - blood taste.

#3 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 22 September 2009 - 08:05 AM

I wouldn't risk it. Supposedly iron will leach and you'll get a metallic - blood taste.

Perhaps Wengared could convert it to an HLT. After all, it's just water an 11 gallon pot would handle pretty much all of the strike and sparge water needed for a typical 5 gallon batch.

#4 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25643 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 22 September 2009 - 08:27 AM

Iron in contact with anything beer is bad news. Do not do it.You could seal the chip up with food safe high temp RTV, Dow 732. McMasert Carr carries it.You could make an HLT. It is rated to 356 deg so might be OK as a boil kettle.I think drilling enamelware is not easy (possible?) so a weldless fitting or ball valve is not practical.An HLT without a valve? I would buy a cheap aluminum pot instead.zymot

#5 wengared

wengared

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 09:01 AM

I appreciate the information, if all else fails it'll make a good apple butter pot. :rolf:

#6 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 22 September 2009 - 09:09 AM

I think drilling enamelware is not easy (possible?) so a weldless fitting or ball valve is not practical.An HLT without a valve? I would buy a cheap aluminum pot instead.zymot

yeah, I hadn't thought of this... Just more chipping going on. Sucks to have an 11 gallon pot become useless. This is why I don't buy the enameled products... period. I know they look cool and all, but I've seen too many that get chipped... Not to hijack the thread, but the local supermarket carries those 8 gallon aluminum steaming pots for tamales. Has anyone tried using this for an HLT? For $8, it doesn't seem to be to big of an investment.Back to the thread... was just thinking that you could use it in conjunction with a heat exchanger of some sort, possibly for a post chiller? Come on guys, we've got to figure out a way he can use an ELEVEN GALLON POT in his brewhouse.

#7 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25643 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 22 September 2009 - 11:24 AM

Not to hijack the thread, but the local supermarket carries those 8 gallon aluminum steaming pots for tamales. Has anyone tried using this for an HLT? For $8, it doesn't seem to be to big of an investment.

I have used one of those to make an HLT. Easy to drill and put a weldless spigot on. The tricky part is the aluminum is so thin that it tends to get out of shape easily. Round holes are not so round, and you get little spurs and stretched spots. I use old one of these as a trash can in my brewery.Before you buy one of those, check out a restaurant supply store (or Smart and Final) and see what a thicker aluminum stock pot will run you. They hold their shape well and let you crank down on the metal with less fuss and are more reliable, much less prone to leaking. You will pay $20-$30 more, but you life will be much easier.zymot

#8 wengared

wengared

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 12:02 PM

Well i pulled the trigger, i was placing an order with my lhbs and while discussing this, they told me they had an 15 1/2 gallon ss keg they wanted to get rid of, so long story short it'll be here next week and i can start getting it ready. the enamel ware will be used for processing fruit and what not, already have an electric 7 gallon hlt, haven't had the need to go over 5 gallon brews yet, , i do have an old beat up blue enamelware that's useless so i might experiment drilling holes in it to put a valve in it, if i can get a hole thru without cracking the enamel around it then i might give it a try on the 11 gallon. thanks again for the ideas.BTW i didn't pay much for the enamelware.

#9 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 23 September 2009 - 05:13 AM

My first HB's were done with an enamel pot. Worked great till I dropped it. Chipped the enamel of the inside. My brews started tasting of iron. Ever drink water with a high iron content? Same thing in your beer.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users