6 replies to this topic

#1 YourBrewery31185

YourBrewery31185

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationMedfahd MA

Posted 19 September 2009 - 02:39 PM

This is my fourth all-grain brew, also my first post and my own recipe. Sitting in the secondary right now.Big Bearded Brown Bear Ale8 lb. American Pale 2-row2 lb. Crystal 601/2 lb. Chocolate1/2 lb. Brown Malt1/2 lb. Munich I1 lb. Brown Sugar12 oz. Grandma's Molasses1 oz. Willamette Hops1 oz. Magnum Hops1 oz. UK Sovereign HopsWhite Labs London YeastStep Mash: Protein Rest @ 145 F for 30 minutes (3 gal. @ 155F)Saccrification Rest @ 158 F for 45 minutes (2 gal. of boiling water)Mashed out @ 170 F for 15 minutes -First runnings collected approximately 4 gallonsBatch Sparged with 4 gal. @ 170 F -Second runnings collected approximately 3 gal.Total Wort: 7 gal.90-Minute BoilBoil: 1 oz. Magnum & 1/2 oz. U.K. Sovereign (boil for 75 min)*30 min. into boil add 1/2 oz. of Molasses*45 min. into boil add 1 lb. of Brown SugarFlavor: 1/2 oz. U.K. Sovereign & 1/2 oz. Willamette & 2 tsp. of Irish Moss (boil for 15 min)Aroma: Complete 90 min. boil by adding 1/2 oz. WillametteTotal volume after boil: 5 Gallons

#2 YourBrewery31185

YourBrewery31185

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationMedfahd MA

Posted 19 September 2009 - 02:48 PM

Let me know what you think!!!!!!

#3 cavman

cavman

Comptroller of BigPossMan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 19 September 2009 - 05:11 PM

I'd cut the Crystal down to .75#, but that's me. I'd also probably use either the brown sugar or the molasses but not both in this beer. If you want to make it higher in OG use more base malt. Medford I see, I'm from Somerville so practically neighbors.

#4 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 19 September 2009 - 06:25 PM

"*30 min. into boil add 1/2 oz. of Molasses" I assumed this is where you meant 12oz of molasses. I had the same thoughts on the carmel malts, seemed to high. Are you picking up any of the flavors from the molasses or brown sugar? You say its in the secondary now, did you take a reading when it finished? how did it taste ?

#5 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25629 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 19 September 2009 - 09:04 PM

As I read your post I was sipping the firs brown ale I brewed that I enjoyed. I agree with suggestion that says molasses or brown sugar, not both. (specifically, go with brown sugar only) Actually, I wouldn't use either. I would also go lower on the crystal. 1 pound or less. If you ar etalking english brown malt, I would up the quantity. 2 lbs is what I would do.When I think of brown ale, I think simple, elegant, malty, lower carbonation easy going down your neck beer.I think error on the side of caution with the hops. Have most of your hops in the bittering 60 minute addation. Throiw in a little bit after 15 minutes, but you do not need much.Thumbnail calculations say you OG will be ~1.065 & bitterness will be >48 rager. IMHO, this is too bitter for a typical brown ale. At 1.065 OG, you should be 20-30 IBU.Not to say your recipe won't make a tasty beer, but I do not think it will be much like a brown ale.Just one brewer's opinion. Please use and ignore as your best judgement dictates.zymot

#6 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64101 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 21 September 2009 - 09:27 AM

I think the proper pronunciation is Medfihd, but that's just me.

#7 cavman

cavman

Comptroller of BigPossMan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 21 September 2009 - 09:03 PM

I think the proper pronunciation is Medfihd, but that's just me.

As a lifelong Summahvoulle resident I agree with this post.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users