#1 Howie

Howie

Feltersnatch

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14781 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 18 September 2009 - 05:09 AM

Just curious if they are doing the British thing again. I'd particularly like to try the Timothy Taylor strain this year.I bought a pack of it last year but never used it.

#2 JimNasium

JimNasium

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationSpringfield, MO

Posted 18 September 2009 - 03:47 PM

They are dong a couple of lager strains and I can't remember the third. One is a helles the other is a Bohemian Pils.

#3 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 18 September 2009 - 06:49 PM

They are dong a couple of lager strains and I can't remember the third. One is a helles the other is a Bohemian Pils.

Are the doing the Helles Bock strain? I didn't get a chance to brew with that one last year so if its this year I will be ready. Hmm Bo Pils I have my recipe just have not brewed yet might need to snag that one too.

#4 JimNasium

JimNasium

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationSpringfield, MO

Posted 18 September 2009 - 07:24 PM

Are the doing the Helles Bock strain? I didn't get a chance to brew with that one last year so if its this year I will be ready. Hmm Bo Pils I have my recipe just have not brewed yet might need to snag that one too.

Yes, it is the Helles Bock strain. I can't remember the name for certain but the owner of my LHBS showed me the upcoming ones today and that was on the list.

#5 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 19 September 2009 - 04:12 AM

Yes, it is the Helles Bock strain. I can't remember the name for certain but the owner of my LHBS showed me the upcoming ones today and that was on the list.

Excellent I will have to brew my Traditional Bock Recipe from last year with this yeast. A friend of mine used Hella Bock last year and loved it too. Thanks for the heads up.

#6 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 20 September 2009 - 05:53 AM

I was reading the October 2009 issue of BYO magazine that I got on Thurs this morning. I realized that Wyeast ran an add for these strains Fall/Winter 2009 Oct-Dec. The theme is Lagers. Here they are. I don't personally know any additional information about these strains but here is what they list:2247-PC European Lager Yeast2487-PC Hella Bock Lager Yeast2782-PC Staro Prague LagerI think I might give the Hella and the Staro a try, maybe its good I have not brewed my Bo Pils just yet.

#7 Slainte

Slainte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 05:55 AM

Anyone know where the Hella Bock strain is from?

#8 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 20 September 2009 - 06:01 AM

Anyone know where the Hella Bock strain is from?

Not sure if this is correct but I found this pretty quickly. Says Hella is from Ayinger. Seems possible to me. Comparison Table

#9 Yeasty Boy

Yeasty Boy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationFt Collins

Posted 10 October 2009 - 07:14 PM

I've been keeping the hellabock on slants for a couple of years, really like it a lot. It is not clean or subtle: big Munich effect in your face.I've heard it's sourced from Ayinger, just like WLP833; not sure about that, but I can say I like them both for a malty, bready Bavarian-style German lager (which is most of what I make of lagers.) I've successfully used it for a Helles, Dunkel, Bock, Hellesbock, Rauchbier and Ofest. Definitely needs plenty of lagering time to clear out the sulfur production.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users