#1 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

Comptroller of Some Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 17 September 2009 - 09:38 AM

So I was talking to a guy at my LHBS last week and he mentioned a process that I have never herd of before for dry hopping pales and IPAs. One of the breweries out here in CO use this method for their award winning IPA. Instead of doing your normal dry hopping method in the 2ndary, after flameout add your dry hops to your mash tun or another kettle that has a false bottom. Pour your wort over the hops and let it slowly drain into your fermenter. He said this kills 2 birds with one stone because you have to aerate anyway and then you don't have to even use a 2ndary if you choose not too. Haven't tried it yet so I have no idea of the results, but he said he swears by it.

#2 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 17 September 2009 - 10:08 AM

Sounds kind of like a First Wort Hop. Maybe this could be termed Last Wort Hop :huh:

#3 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 17 September 2009 - 10:22 AM

Sounds more like he's using a grant.

#4 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 47988 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 17 September 2009 - 10:40 AM

I'd be scared to use the mash tun, though. Grains are laco-heaven.

#5 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 17 September 2009 - 10:41 AM

Lacto... but yeah, very good point George.

#6 *_Guest_Blktre_*

*_Guest_Blktre_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 September 2009 - 11:03 AM

Sounds more like he's using a grant.

I have a FB in my grant so i can do this very thing. Its not pressurized like some of the hop jacks are but i feel you don't need it to be. The warm wort leaving the kettle into the hop grant via gravity, then it leaves the hop grant via gravity to the pump>chiller>fermenter. I kinda prefer the gentle soaking in the hops vs pressurizing the hot wort thru the hop jack.

#7 JReigle

JReigle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationSan Leandro, CA

Posted 17 September 2009 - 11:35 AM

I think this will give you good hop character as one step in the process, but I can't see how this would replace dry hopping. You're going to lose a lot of hop aroma during fermentation and would still need to replace it with a proper dry hop addition for an IPA.

#8 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10740 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 17 September 2009 - 11:35 AM

I never seconday. I just dry hop once the krausen has fallen back and fermentation is near the end. I normally leave the beer for about 1 week which lets the yeast finish up as well. I like to hop after fermentation because I've read that the fermentation process drives a lot of the hop flavor and aroma out.

#9 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 17 September 2009 - 11:59 AM

I'd be scared to use the mash tun, though. Grains are laco-heaven.

Yea he actually said the he uses a sanitized 2nd kettle with a false bottom...so he told me to clean and sanitize my mash tun since my 2nd kettles doesnt have a drain...and the brewery that supposedly uses this process rhymes with O (do) tells

#10 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 17 September 2009 - 12:13 PM

Yea he actually said the he uses a sanitized 2nd kettle with a false bottom...so he told me to clean and sanitize my mash tun since my 2nd kettles doesnt have a drain...and the brewery that supposedly uses this process rhymes with O (do) tells

A lot of breweries use grants, not just *cough* O'Dells.

#11 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 12:15 PM

Sounds like a poor man's hopback.

#12 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 17 September 2009 - 12:20 PM

A lot of breweries use grants, not just *cough* O'Dells.

Well this is the first time Grant is hearing about grants....my new thing for today...

#13 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54131 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 12:57 PM

I just had a beer that seemed a little light in the hop department so I suspended a muslin bag full of Sterling hops (and sanitized marbles) in the keg. It gave the beer an awesome hop aroma and even though the keg took 3-4 weeks to drain, the dry hop profile never got overly funky. 2¢.

#14 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 17 September 2009 - 01:03 PM

I just had a beer that seemed a little light in the hop department so I suspended a muslin bag full of Sterling hops (and sanitized marbles) in the keg. It gave the beer an awesome hop aroma and even though the keg took 3-4 weeks to drain, the dry hop profile never got overly funky. 2¢.

This is the only way I dry hop anymore. I don't use the muslin bag but what I do amounts to the same thing. I use a Sure Screen over top of the dip tube to keep hop particles out. I've never tried that with pellets (I don't dry hop with pellets anyway) but it works great with whole hops. I've found that the hop aroma can be a little overbearing at first but after several days, it mellows and loses some of the grassiness. And I also agree that despite warnings to the contrary, the beer never developed any funky off-flavors even after being in the keg for a month.ETA: Note that using a grant is a little bit different than dry hopping. Since you're putting hot wort in contact with the hops, the flavor you get is not the same as true dry hopping. And also, as has been pointed out, the act of fermentation will tend to scrub some of that hop aroma out of the beer. Using a grant is more-or-less the same as adding hops at flameout.

#15 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 01:44 PM

whole hops or pellets?

#16 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54131 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 03:34 PM

In my case in was pellets. I got to the point where I did not like using leaf/whole hops anymore so I only have pellets in the house... but the aroma was great and I think it absolutely made the beer. I tied a thread around the muslin bag and then threw it in (with sanitized marbles) and had the thread come out through the lid (it sealed just fine with the thread in there). I used the thread in case the hops got overly assertive, I could just pull the bag up above the level of the beer or pull it out altogether. I also happen to like the aroma of the Sterling hops so it worked well, as it would with any hop you like. I may to this again and then bottle some of that beer when the keg is half full. Cheers!

#17 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 18 September 2009 - 04:52 AM

Am I missing something here guys, or are you describing a hop-back?

#18 MoreAmmoPlz

MoreAmmoPlz

Comptroller of Ivory Powers

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2165 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 18 September 2009 - 07:49 AM

I feel like I'm missing something here as well. What would the flavor contribution for this compare to a flame-out addition? On my pale ales and IPA normally I will have a large flame-out addition because I use an IC. I could see using the hop back/grant if you had a counterflow but if you're using an IC it seems as if you could get the same effect by using a flame-out addition.

#19 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54131 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 07:57 AM

I think I would place these varying processes in 2 camps... pre-fermentation and post. I have added hops at flameout and let the hops steep in the brewpot with the lid on, I have added fresh hops to the primary and added hops to secondary and kegs. The fresh hop aroma that you get when the hops are added to secondary or the keg are much different than hops added prior to fermentation. The primary process definitely scrubs out some of the hop aroma. Even though there are these different procedures for adding hops prior to primary, I'm guessing that they are very similar once you have that glass of beer in front of you.

#20 CarlosM

CarlosM

Señor Joykill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12344 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 18 September 2009 - 03:58 PM

Am I missing something here guys, or are you describing a hop-back?

yea thats what I was thinking.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users