11 replies to this topic

#1 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 06:59 AM

I can't seem to find this locally so I think I'll have to order it online. What is the best price you guys have seen?Also - how much is typically used in a batch? The cans seem to be 1lb so I was wondering if I should expect to use the entire pound in a 5 gallon batch.

#2 HarvInSTL

HarvInSTL

Atomic Chef Harvey

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MO

Posted 17 September 2009 - 07:45 AM

I've seen it online for about $4 or so. What would kill you is the shipping those places will charge you.I'm in London until next Thursday and I've been bringing it back for about $1/454gm container.If you want some Lyle's Golden Syrup as well, just let me know.I could prolly fit 4 containers in a $6.50 flat rate box and maybe 8 containers in the $9.60 flat rate box.If you want some just shoot me a private message with your address and what you want.

#3 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 07:50 AM

I've seen it online for about $4 or so. What would kill you is the shipping those places will charge you.I'm in London until next Thursday and I've been bringing it back for about $1/454gm container.If you want some Lyle's Golden Syrup as well, just let me know.I could prolly fit 4 containers in a $6.50 flat rate box and maybe 8 containers in the $9.60 flat rate box.If you want some just shoot me a private message with your address and what you want.

I may just take you up on that! Is it usually about 1 can per 5 gallons?

#4 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 08:20 AM

My follow up question is what is the expiration date on these things. I'll probably only make one old ale a year I'm guessing.Is the golden syrup used for something else?

#5 Thirsty

Thirsty

Atomic Chef!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts
  • LocationPhippsburg Maine

Posted 17 September 2009 - 08:30 AM

I may just take you up on that! Is it usually about 1 can per 5 gallons?

I added 2 full #s, or 2 cans to a 13 gallon batch. It is definitely noticable in the profile, kind of a sweet licorice/molasses candy flavor. Jamil's old ale recipe has .5# going into a 5 gallon batch. I would start there and maybe taste the syrup and see what you think, you may want more in there.

#6 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 08:34 AM

I added 2 full #s, or 2 cans to a 13 gallon batch. It is definitely noticable in the profile, kind of a sweet licorice/molasses candy flavor. Jamil's old ale recipe has .5# going into a 5 gallon batch. I would start there and maybe taste the syrup and see what you think, you may want more in there.

I have to admit I'm a little nervous about overpowering sweetness as I sometimes find this offensive. What's the trick to balancing it out? Lots of hops?

#7 Thirsty

Thirsty

Atomic Chef!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts
  • LocationPhippsburg Maine

Posted 17 September 2009 - 09:39 AM

I have to admit I'm a little nervous about overpowering sweetness as I sometimes find this offensive. What's the trick to balancing it out? Lots of hops?

Good attenuation. I mashed at 150 and also added 3# of corn sugar. I got a .094 down to .022. It should be really malty, but not cloying. A huge amount of yeast and long ferment will get you there if it is good and fermentable. Keep in mind this beer will taste hot and sweet for a few months. It is a batch you pretty much want to brew, bottle and forget. Even 1 year of aging is young, and the older it gets the more oxidized it gets, and the real flavors start to emerge.

#8 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 10:43 AM

Good attenuation. I mashed at 150 and also added 3# of corn sugar. I got a .094 down to .022. It should be really malty, but not cloying. A huge amount of yeast and long ferment will get you there if it is good and fermentable. Keep in mind this beer will taste hot and sweet for a few months. It is a batch you pretty much want to brew, bottle and forget. Even 1 year of aging is young, and the older it gets the more oxidized it gets, and the real flavors start to emerge.

Yes - I was considering bottling something like this but that would put me at a serious bottle shortage and I happen to like to bottle my weizens so I get a little yeast in every glass :huh:This is really making me wish I had another couple kegs around - SOB!

#9 HarvInSTL

HarvInSTL

Atomic Chef Harvey

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MO

Posted 18 September 2009 - 04:51 AM

I'll double check the shipping options when I get back state side if anyone wants some.The prices for just the items are pretty cheap.The black treacle is 56pence or 95 cents per 454gm container.The Golden syrup is 94pence or $1.60 per 454gm container.

#10 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 05:20 AM

I'll double check the shipping options when I get back state side if anyone wants some.The prices for just the items are pretty cheap.The black treacle is 56pence or 95 cents per 454gm container.The Golden syrup is 94pence or $1.60 per 454gm container.

what is the limiting factor on those flat rate boxes? is it just volume or does weight come into play?

#11 HarvInSTL

HarvInSTL

Atomic Chef Harvey

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MO

Posted 18 September 2009 - 06:10 AM

what is the limiting factor on those flat rate boxes? is it just volume or does weight come into play?

Just volume. Well they are limited to 70lbs I think, but that won't affect us Because to get 70lbs of treacle/golden syrup into one would require some repackaging.

#12 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 06:36 AM

medium box: 11" x 8 1/2" x 5 1/2"$9.85 when ordered online

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users