Photo
- - - - -

I guess I need to look into a "Session IPA" recipe...

• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

#61 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16672 posts

Posted 09 July 2016 - 09:47 AM

Better yet... why don't you be a dear and rewrite the hop schedule with the 7 ounces I mentioned? :P :lol: This is much more your area than mine.

EDIT: Actually I think I have 2 ounces of Simcoe left.

Ok, but just for fun...

I would be inclined to save the Zythos for it's own beer since it is a blend of hops already and might showcase nicely as the lone hop(s). Minus the bittering addition if you're giving me 7ozs. of hops only 2 of which are Simcoe I would probably do 1.5oz each of Citra and Nelson in the whirlpool and then 2oz Simcoe, 1oz Citra and 1oz. Nelson Sauvin dry. 

#62 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18076 posts

Posted 09 July 2016 - 09:52 AM

Ok, but just for fun...
I would be inclined to save the Zythos for it's own beer since it is a blend of hops already and might showcase nicely as the lone hop(s). Minus the bittering addition if you're giving me 7ozs. of hops only 2 of which are Simcoe I would probably do 1.5oz each of Citra and Nelson in the whirlpool and then 2oz Simcoe, 1oz Citra and 1oz. Nelson Sauvin dry.

I like your idea!

#63 shaggaroo

shaggaroo

Comptroller of Hot Flashes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1965 posts
  • LocationMiddle of Nowhere, NY

Posted 09 July 2016 - 12:44 PM

OK I'm going to ask a noob question and I can't even believe I'm asking... How does one dry hop? Any pointers? Resources?

#64 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 09 July 2016 - 02:41 PM

OK I'm going to ask a noob question and I can't even believe I'm asking... How does one dry hop? Any pointers? Resources?

different people do them at different points in their process, at different temperatures and for different amounts of time.  any ideas on where you want to land on any of those?

personally I like to crash cool my primary and rack on top of hops in the keg that are in a nylon bag or similar.  then I start drinking it whenever I like it and just leave the hops in there for the life of the keg.

Edited by Evil_Morty, 09 July 2016 - 02:44 PM.

#65 shaggaroo

shaggaroo

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1965 posts

Posted 09 July 2016 - 03:28 PM

different people do them at different points in their process, at different temperatures and for different amounts of time.  any ideas on where you want to land on any of those?

personally I like to crash cool my primary and rack on top of hops in the keg that are in a nylon bag or similar.  then I start drinking it whenever I like it and just leave the hops in there for the life of the keg.

OK, I figured something like hanging a bag in a keg with a string attached and pulling it out when it's where I was thinking... Nylon better than muslin and do I sanitize it with Starsan?

#66 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 09 July 2016 - 04:18 PM

OK, I figured something like hanging a bag in a keg with a string attached and pulling it out when it's where I was thinking... Nylon better than muslin and do I sanitize it with Starsan?

you can do the string thing but once I realized I could just leave the hops in I stopped doing it.  unwaxed, unflavored dental floss can sneak by the lid o-ring if you want to be able to pull it out.  there are also some SS mesh tubes that are retrievable.

A nylon bag can have a smaller holes which leads to less hop matter getting into the keg.  they are also reusable.  I think muslin is A-OK too though if you have them.

no matter how you do it there will be some hop matter in the bottom of your dry hopping vessel so be prepared to deal with that either by just drinking through it or letting it settle and racking off to something else.

I just sanitize whatever my filtration device is in starsan.  I figure at this point it's beer and it's cold and I'm drinking it so I'm not overly concerned.

Edited by Evil_Morty, 09 July 2016 - 04:22 PM.

#67 shaggaroo

shaggaroo

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1965 posts

Posted 09 July 2016 - 06:24 PM

you can do the string thing but once I realized I could just leave the hops in I stopped doing it.  unwaxed, unflavored dental floss can sneak by the lid o-ring if you want to be able to pull it out.  there are also some SS mesh tubes that are retrievable.

A nylon bag can have a smaller holes which leads to less hop matter getting into the keg.  they are also reusable.  I think muslin is A-OK too though if you have them.

no matter how you do it there will be some hop matter in the bottom of your dry hopping vessel so be prepared to deal with that either by just drinking through it or letting it settle and racking off to something else.

I just sanitize whatever my filtration device is in starsan.  I figure at this point it's beer and it's cold and I'm drinking it so I'm not overly concerned.

and you use pellet hops for the dryhopping?

#68 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54185 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 12:45 AM

Ok, but just for fun...

So no other hops in the boil? Just bittering, whirlpool and dry hop?

#69 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 10 July 2016 - 03:30 AM

and you use pellet hops for the dryhopping?

ah yes, good point.  I do.  with whole cones you may not have as much hop matter from dry hopping.  I almost forget that cones exist b/c I use them so infrequently.

#70 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16672 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 07:20 AM

So no other hops in the boil? Just bittering, whirlpool and dry hop?

Yes that would be my preference. And in a beer like this, with that light malt bill, I am really just looking for a conduit for hops. 

#71 cavman

cavman

Comptroller of BigPossMan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 10 July 2016 - 07:46 PM

I know nothing about session IPA

#72 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68759 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 10 July 2016 - 08:07 PM

I know nothing about session IPA

aka hoppier pale ale

#73 cavman

cavman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 10 July 2016 - 08:17 PM

aka hoppier pale ale

There was some sarcasm in my post. The style was a project of mine a few years back called Little Indian in the recipe forum(before all day and other session IPAs) that was inspired by 2 things; one being UK casks bitters that I had that were utilizing late American hops and a friend that said he loved the taste of IPAs but wanted a beer he could drink a few of. I brewed a few versions of low abv IPAs that were low in bitterness but big in hop flavor and aroma. I stopped at Bitter Galaxy as I took a break from brewing at that time. But my little Indian recipes or at least some of them should be available here.

ETA: the difference between IPA and Pale is more than hops and how they are used as you know.

Edited by cavman, 10 July 2016 - 08:22 PM.

#74 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68759 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 10 July 2016 - 09:13 PM

There was some sarcasm in my post. The style was a project of mine a few years back called Little Indian in the recipe forum(before all day and other session IPAs) that was inspired by 2 things; one being UK casks bitters that I had that were utilizing late American hops and a friend that said he loved the taste of IPAs but wanted a beer he could drink a few of. I brewed a few versions of low abv IPAs that were low in bitterness but big in hop flavor and aroma. I stopped at Bitter Galaxy as I took a break from brewing at that time. But my little Indian recipes or at least some of them should be available here.

ETA: the difference between IPA and Pale is more than hops and how they are used as you know.

that's a very blurry line IMO

#75 cavman

cavman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 10 July 2016 - 09:24 PM

It is blurry but the malts used are a big factor at least when talking New England or San Diego style IPA as they use less crystal in IPA. Northwest IPA uses more crystal balanced by high bitterness outside of a few outliers like Boneyard who brew more Cali style. Pale uses more crystal than IPA.

#76 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 11 July 2016 - 03:31 AM

It is blurry but the malts used are a big factor at least when talking New England or San Diego style IPA as they use less crystal in IPA. Northwest IPA uses more crystal balanced by high bitterness outside of a few outliers like Boneyard who brew more Cali style. Pale uses more crystal than IPA.

yeup!

#77 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18076 posts

Posted 11 July 2016 - 06:40 AM

This was my dryhopping yesterday

13645347_10155207216749657_4867207794973

13567282_10155207216659657_7876607669749

#78 shaggaroo

shaggaroo

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1965 posts

Posted 11 July 2016 - 07:51 AM

This was my dryhopping yesterday

Is that a giant tea infuser thingy?

#79 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18076 posts

Posted 11 July 2016 - 08:00 AM

Is that a giant tea infuser thingy?

The one pictured there is the 10" version of this https://www.stainles...cap-_p_155.html .  I have the 18" version too that i use in a brite tank see here with some leaf hops over it.

27962073420_98f34c7414_o.jpg

Edited by drez77, 11 July 2016 - 08:00 AM.

#80 shaggaroo

shaggaroo

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1965 posts

Posted 11 July 2016 - 08:02 AM

The one pictured there is the 10" version of this https://www.stainles...cap-_p_155.html .  I have the 18" version too that i use in a brite tank see here with some leaf hops over it.

sweet thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users