#1 Noontime

Noontime

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • LocationDelray Beach FL

Posted 14 September 2009 - 03:59 AM

I took advantage of Hopsdirect prices (thanks for the link!!!) and bought 5 lbs which is WAY more than I'll use any time soon. It might take me a couple of years to go through that (which only occured to me after I bought it). Will pellet hops last that long in the fridge? Should they go in the freezer? Should they be used within a certain amount of time?Thanks guys!

#2 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 04:07 AM

I took advantage of Hopsdirect prices (thanks for the link!!!) and bought 5 lbs which is WAY more than I'll use any time soon. It might take me a couple of years to go through that (which only occured to me after I bought it). Will pellet hops last that long in the fridge? Should they go in the freezer? Should they be used within a certain amount of time?Thanks guys!

keep them in a dark airtight space. the freezer is best for any length of storage.

#3 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64096 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 14 September 2009 - 08:44 AM

It may be more than you'll use any time soon, but at the prices you get from Hops Direct, even if you end up only using half of them it'll be cheaper than you would pay locally by the ounce. And if you keep them cold and sealed they last a long, long time. I just finished up some centennials from the 2006 crop, and they were still damn good and they weren't always stored cold either. They do lose bittering/aroma/flavor over time, but you can just use more to make up for it. Based on what I've read, you don't need to start accounting for alpha acid/oils loss until they are >18 months old.

#4 Noontime

Noontime

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 09:57 AM

It may be more than you'll use any time soon, but at the prices you get from Hops Direct, even if you end up only using half of them it'll be cheaper than you would pay locally by the ounce. And if you keep them cold and sealed they last a long, long time. I just finished up some centennials from the 2006 crop, and they were still damn good and they weren't always stored cold either. They do lose bittering/aroma/flavor over time, but you can just use more to make up for it. Based on what I've read, you don't need to start accounting for alpha acid/oils loss until they are >18 months old.

Thanks for the info. I plan on storing them in a dark bag in the freezer. Does that 18 months account for being stored cold, or is that in general room temp?Thanks again; I feel alot better about my purchase. And you're totally right about price...I've been paying between $1.70 to $3.00 an ounce. And now I can make a HUGE hop beer without regard to cost.Posted Image

#5 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64096 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 14 September 2009 - 10:03 AM

Thanks for the info. I plan on storing them in a dark bag in the freezer. Does that 18 months account for being stored cold, or is that in general room temp?Thanks again; I feel alot better about my purchase. And you're totally right about price...I've been paying between $1.70 to $3.00 an ounce. And now I can make a HUGE hop beer without regard to cost.Posted Image

The 18 months refers to storage at freezer temps.

#6 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 47988 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 14 September 2009 - 10:20 AM

I don't know why you'd store them any other way. :DFor five pounds, though, you should probably invest in a vac sealer of some kind. You've got $70 worth of hops there, invest half that savings in a cheap vac sealer and they'll last you years. OTOH, if you try storing them in their original bags, they'll be open to the air (and freezer burn) every time you open the bag to get hops.

#7 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64096 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 14 September 2009 - 10:44 AM

Yeah, now that I've got about 10 lbs of pellets I need to start breaking them up into smaller quantities and vac packing them.

#8 Noontime

Noontime

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 12:53 PM

Good point. Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users