19 replies to this topic

#1 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 06:09 AM

5 gallon batchGRAIN BILL/MASH:9lbs 2-row (US Pale)0.3lbs Crystal 65L0.5lbs Honey Malt0.2lbs Carapilsmash around 148F for 1 hourHOPS:1 oz Magnum for 60 minutes2 oz Glacier for 15 minutes (been stored well but probably almost a year old)3 oz Cascade for 0-5 minutes (partially to entirely wet hops, wet hops weight divided by 6 to give a non-wet hop equivalent)YEAST:Wyeast 1056estimated SRM: 7estimated OG: 1.050estimated IBU: 55

#2 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54161 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 06:39 AM

Zym: I definitely don't like the honey malt in there. Not at that level and not in this style. I have a few recipes where I used 2-4 ounces in a 5-gallon batch and a little goes a long way. Not sure what you were trying to get with the honey malt... aroma? Sweetness? Head stability? Also, what AA% are the magnums at? Just curious because I picked those YMs up at 14.4%!

#3 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 12 September 2009 - 08:03 AM

Zym, I agree with Ken I would avoid the honey malt in an APA. I think you could keep your 2 Row, Caramel and Carapils and add a half lb or lb of Munich and roll with that. I think the Caramel malt will add the body you need in this beer. I like to do an APA with a nice base of 2 Row and Munich then let the hops shine through too. I think you really want the hops to shine in this one for you since they are your home grown hops too. Good Luck. Mike

#4 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 08:12 AM

The reason for the honey malt...I made an APA a while back that had some in it that I really liked. This APA was 10lb 2-row, 1.5lbs of crystal 15L, and 0.5lb honey malt followed by a decent amount of hops. How about if I cut the honey malt back to 0.3lb?edit: I'm just slightly altering an old recipe I did here so I'm not really sure about honey malt b/c I've only used it that one time

#5 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 12 September 2009 - 08:21 AM

The reason for the honey malt... I made an APA a while back that had some in it that I really liked. This APA was 10lb 2-row, 1.5lbs of crystal 15L, and 0.5lb honey malt followed by a decent amount of hops. How about if I cut the honey malt back to 0.3lb? edit: I'm just slightly altering an old recipe I did here so I'm not really sure about honey malt b/c I've only used it that one time

If you used it before and liked it then go ahead and use it again I say. This is your beer and if you like the contribution of the honey malt then go for it. Yes there is a valid argument that its not "suggested" in an APA but you are the brewer go with what you like. There really isn't anything wrong with your recipe as you posted too.

#6 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 09:10 AM

If you used it before and liked it then go ahead and use it again I say. This is your beer and if you like the contribution of the honey malt then go for it. Yes there is a valid argument that its not "suggested" in an APA but you are the brewer go with what you like. There really isn't anything wrong with your recipe as you posted too.

Well - since I'm using C65 (more caramel) I figured cutting back on the honey a little might not be a bad idea.

#7 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 11:47 AM

Zym: I definitely don't like the honey malt in there. Not at that level and not in this style. I have a few recipes where I used 2-4 ounces in a 5-gallon batch and a little goes a long way. Not sure what you were trying to get with the honey malt... aroma? Sweetness? Head stability? Also, what AA% are the magnums at? Just curious because I picked those YMs up at 14.4%!

My GR Magnums are at 12.1%.

#8 Salsgebom

Salsgebom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 12 September 2009 - 12:11 PM

I think your malt looks fine. I've never used honey malt, but since the grain bill is otherwise basic (not loaded with darker kilned base malts like many of mine) and it's worked for you before, I say go for it.My only concern is the IBUs for the gravity. I usually don't like exceeding 40 IBU for an APA unless it's well into the mid 1.050's. That seems like a lot of 15min glacier, so I'd attack that first to lower my IBU. That said, Pale Ale is extremely versatile so I might be pushing a different type of APA than what you're going for.

#9 Salsgebom

Salsgebom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 12 September 2009 - 12:26 PM

This updated forum seems to have further restrictions on editing your posts- I hate it.I meant to say in addition to the low grav and high IBU, Wy-1056 is so attenuative that mashing at 148 seems excessive. I'd shoot a little higher- 152F.

#10 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 12:27 PM

I think your malt looks fine. I've never used honey malt, but since the grain bill is otherwise basic (not loaded with darker kilned base malts like many of mine) and it's worked for you before, I say go for it. My only concern is the IBUs for the gravity. I usually don't like exceeding 40 IBU for an APA unless it's well into the mid 1.050's. That seems like a lot of 15min glacier, so I'd attack that first to lower my IBU. That said, Pale Ale is extremely versatile so I might be pushing a different type of APA than what you're going for.

I think you make a good point. I think I'll actually replace the magnum with the glacier as this is closer to the original recipe I brewed a while back. so 2oz of glacier for 60 3oz of cascade spread around the end of the boil Since my glaciers have aged a bit this will put the IBUs a little closer to 43-45 I'm guessing.

#11 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 12:32 PM

This updated forum seems to have further restrictions on editing your posts- I hate it. I meant to say in addition to the low grav and high IBU, Wy-1056 is so attenuative that mashing at 148 seems excessive. I'd shoot a little higher- 152F.

Well - the idea is to balance out the honey and crystal malt. I may go up to 150F though...

#12 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54161 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 12:47 PM

Zym: I agree that if you like the profile of the honey malt, go with it. Most of the recipes I see it in are more delicate where the honey malt comes to the front of the beer... think Honey Wheat or American Wheat or some sort of German Hefe or a fruit/spice beer. I haven't seen it used in conjunction with big hoppiness, but that doesn't mean it couldn't work. I have seen many brewers say that a lot of honey malt is a good thing and I've seen others come back after using 8 oz in a 5-gallon batch and say... Holy Smokes! Why didn't you guys tell me to use less honey malt?? Please let us know how it comes out.

#13 Salsgebom

Salsgebom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 12 September 2009 - 12:59 PM

Well - the idea is to balance out the honey and crystal malt. I may go up to 150F though...

I hear ya, but I think honey malt will add its flavor regardless of attenuation. With 8% crystal malt, 1.050 OG and Wy-1056, I think mashing low could still be a bad thing. Definitely go >150F

#14 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 12 September 2009 - 04:41 PM

I have used Honey malt a lot . I have/will use it in Pale ales, i do use it in An IPA . Its a great malt, had friends that loved an IPA i made that i tracked it down to the Honey Malt . So i say use it if you want to.

#15 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25630 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 12 September 2009 - 06:44 PM

I think the name honey malt is a bit misleading. To me it is more dry-grainy than sweetness or honey flavor. One of the brewing magazines had a few paragraphs about this a a couple years ago.As others say, a little honey malt goes along way. 0.50 lb is a good amount.You show 55 IBU against 1.050 OG is a BU/GU ratio 1.1, that is pretty hot. Typical APA BU/GU is .7 or less. That would put you at 35 IBU or less. if it were my APA, back off the magnums, keep flavor and aroma additions.zymot

#16 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54161 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 07:04 PM

I agree that the name is misleading. It does give a beer a bit of a sweet, toasty nose and some might say that it gives a honey aroma while others do not pick it up the same way. Some people will make honey beers and add honey malt to back up the honey or because the honey is so fermentable, very little of the honey character is left. Again, if you have used it, you know its profile and whether you like it. It's only if you've never used it that I get concerned that some may overuse it. Good luck with the beer, Zym. I hope it come out nicely. Cheers!

#17 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 04:31 AM

Okay - refined recipe...5 gallon batchGRAIN BILL/MASH:9lbs 2-row (US Pale)0.3lbs Crystal 65L0.5lbs Honey Malt0.2lbs Carapilsmash around 151F for 1 hourHOPS:1 oz Glacier for 60 minutes1 oz Glacier for 20 minutes3 oz Cascade for 0-5 minutes (partially to entirely wet hops, wet hops weight divided by 6 to give a non-wet hop equivalent)YEAST:Wyeast 1056estimated SRM: 7estimated OG: 1.050estimated IBU: 38 (but will actually be lower b/c Glacier hop AA levels have likely depreciated)

#18 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 08:02 AM

Feedback:After the initial grassiness from the wet hops dissipated the beer seemed good. I thought maybe I didn't like the honey malt but as it has aged I have grown to really enjoy this (had a couple pints last night before dinner). The mouthfeel is a little thick for a APA but regardless I think it's a great beer and despite have a lot of hops in it is still very drinkable.

#19 drewseslu

drewseslu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 16 December 2009 - 07:24 PM

I have to say, honey malt is very, very tasty in an APA.

#20 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 03:49 AM

I have to say, honey malt is very, very tasty in an APA.

well I'm glad someone agrees with me :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users