8 replies to this topic

#1 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 02:37 PM

I am trying to decide what type of oak to use in my barley wine. I plan on soaking it for a few days in Knob Creek and putting it in a muslin bag in the conditioning keg. I am not sure if I should go with a medium , medium + or heavy and also what works better chips, cubes or spirals. I am not looking for an over-powering oak flavor just something you will pick up in the back ground.mike

#2 pods8

pods8

Grand Duke of Near Misses

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28448 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 06 April 2009 - 03:01 PM

I'd say medium - cubes. Sample often, the oak comes out strong the first time cubes get used.

#3 MAZ

MAZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 04:27 PM

I like heavy toast, but that's just my personal pref (I also re-use them - also soaked in bourbon - the first use will impart the most oak like pods said). Definitely do what pods said and sample often (every few days after the first week) and then pull them when the flavor is to your liking. If you plan on aging your BW for a year or more, the flavors will blend/mellow (in which case you might decide to leave the oak in longer).I use cubes - they are easier to handle than chips. No experience with spirals, but I've read good things about them, however I think they are significantly more expensive than either chips or cubes. Also with spirals, I'm not sure how you'd soak them in bourbon (unless you use a lot of bourbon). Are you planning on adding the booze along with the oak (to the keg/secondary)? Obviously you'll get more bourbon flavor if you do, which might mask the oak a bit.Finally, how many ounces of oak are you thinking about? Each form (chips, cubes, spirals) will give you different surface areas. With cubes, I find 2 to 3 ounces of oak works nicely (you'll get your flavor within 1 to 3 weeks of contact time).

#4 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 04:57 PM

Finally, how many ounces of oak are you thinking about? Each form (chips, cubes, spirals) will give you different surface areas. With cubes, I find 2 to 3 ounces of oak works nicely (you'll get your flavor within 1 to 3 weeks of contact time).

I was just coming back on to ask the how much question. I was planning 1 -2 ounces so I think I will go with the 2. I am aging the barley wine until Thanksgiving at least. I am not sure if I will be a lot of bourbon to the beer. I plan on dumping in the bourbon i soak he cubes in. I figure they have some infused oak no need to loose that. I really like the idea of re-using the oak cubes. I never thought of that. I think I will pick up some med and heavy and see what kind of mood I am the day I throw them in. Having time for it to mellow makes me feel there is less chance to screw this up.

#5 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 06 April 2009 - 05:02 PM

I'd go heavy toast cubes. I've done stouts and porters on heavy toast and been very happy with the results. I'd think they would work well for a Barley wine all the same.

#6 Bearphin

Bearphin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationWest of Atlanta

Posted 06 April 2009 - 05:13 PM

I've used chips from the local wine store to good results. I get the mediums and soak them in Jack.I have also used the chips they sell at grocery stores and Home Depot which are made from old Jack kegs. Not as powerful and can be left in longer. Was very please with my Scotch ale using them!!

#7 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 06:01 PM

I have also used the chips they sell at grocery stores and Home Depot which are made from old Jack kegs. Not as powerful and can be left in longer. Was very please with my Scotch ale using them!!

I have heard of these. I will have to see if my HD has them. Maybe not for this beer but it will be interesting to experiment with.Mike

#8 Bearphin

Bearphin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationWest of Atlanta

Posted 06 April 2009 - 06:16 PM

You need to use more than normal, and I did break up the chips a bit but I was really happy with the results. I allowed them to soak for three weeks and it gave a nice dry finish to the beer without a lot of the tannins.

#9 pods8

pods8

Grand Duke of Near Misses

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28448 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 06 April 2009 - 08:32 PM

I was just coming back on to ask the how much question. I was planning 1 -2 ounces so I think I will go with the 2. I am aging the barley wine until Thanksgiving at least. I am not sure if I will be a lot of bourbon to the beer. I plan on dumping in the bourbon i soak he cubes in. I figure they have some infused oak no need to loose that. I really like the idea of re-using the oak cubes. I never thought of that. I think I will pick up some med and heavy and see what kind of mood I am the day I throw them in. Having time for it to mellow makes me feel there is less chance to screw this up.

Oh for sure reuse them. I oaked an IPA with some off the bat for a couple weeks, then used the cubes in a RIS for a month or so and finally into a barleywine for months. The IPA's got hit with the initial blast which had an aggressive profile. I think the RIS got the best of things with a really nicely done oak note that had good vanilla hints. The barleywine was more subtle.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users